Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I picked up myself a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29. It has Deore Shifters and Derailleurs, and Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes. I already upgraded the rear rim since I kept bending it on single track, but now I am thinking of upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes, and am looking at Juicy 7's or Magura Loiuse. I mainly use the bike to commute to work, but when I do go off-roading, I ride it really hard. I am also planning on riding a few mountian passes out west this summer, so I want brakes that will be up to 20 miles of downhill. Any recommendations are really appreciated, as well as anything else that you think I should upgrade.
Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
for some upgrades on the rockhopper to increase durability as well as lose weight I would change out the bar and stem (I lost like half a pound by doing this on mine) to like a specialized xc bar, and just a Ritchey pro stem, for wheels you might wanna go with some FSA xc-290s. They're fairly light for $500 and are quite durable. For brakes I would go for the juicy 7s with a 185mm rotor up front and a 160 in the rear.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
EHCRain said:
a new fork would be a good idea, I ride the same bike and my fork wasnt up to the task of hard braking
On the Rockhopper Disc 29....yes, Dart3 is definitely lacking. I own two and they get the job done but only take up to 6" (160mm) brake rotor, are harsh riding, and flexy.

The Rockhopper Comp 29 comes with RS Tora 318....supposedly very beefy but heavy @ 5 lbs. I rode one in the parking lot, but never on a trail. Which fork do you have? There are nicer and lighter forks for sure.

New saddle would be worthy upgrade, so far and somehow my stock Alex wheels are doing ok.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
For the most part I wouldn't upgrade until stuff breaks, except for comfort items like saddle, grips, etc. If you're looking for something to upgrade though, you might consider going with LX or XT shifters/derailleurs, those will be a noticeable upgrade from Deore. I actually prefer the BB7's over hydros, as do many others.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Unless you find stuff that you do not like, I'd prioritize wheels, tyres, brakes, fork.
I have not used BB7 brakes but I think my LX hydraulics are much nicer than my BB5.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you are seriously considering upgrading the brakes, wheels and fork you are looking at 1000 bucks or more. If you sold the bike on Ebay you should get 800+ for it if it's in good shape. So, if you can afford the 1000+ for upgrades and add the 800 you would get for the sale you could be looking at some pretty decent bikes new and some killer stuff used. Just an idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. A new saddle is in the list as well, as I destroyed it when I crashed one time. My bike has the RS Tora 318 fork, and it is actually quite nice, but for sure there are lighter forks. Weight is only my second concern, as strength is number one. For some reason if it can be broken, I'm the guy that will break it. I'm scavenging ebay right now looking for good deals on this stuff.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's really no sense in upgrading a Rockhopper. You might as well sell your Rockhopper and buy a used Stumpjumper. The difference between the two are about 3-4 lbs and we all know how much it costs to lose that much weight. Also, you won't lose that much weight changing one part, unless you ride without a rear wheel! or a frame! I say it's worth the extra grand, or $500 used for the Stumpy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.