Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4375 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running tubeless three years, I think I have tried all the different sealant types. My unscientific conclusion, if the main goal is flat protection, stan's is the best. Unfortunately, it dries up and thus builds up in the tire. To get at this problem, I have heard all kind of homemade combinations of the different tubeless product to get at a best brew of flat protection plus longevity. The latest sounded interesting superjuice with glitter. The theory is that the glitter provide better sealing protection. This sounded like little bit of a stretch to me, but at least if it came spewing out on you during a race, you would be looking good! Anybody want to throw out their experience in coming up with the "ultimate" homemade sealant brew for the rest of us to try?

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,380 Posts
Since 5/04 I been running:
1 part Latex mold builder
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water

Tends to last for about a year vs 3 months for Stan's, and I live in the southwest desert (LC NM). Seals better, less "wet spotting".

I will be adding glitter to the next batch I make - turns out there are different sizes (and colors!) of glitter to think about.

The idea is a range of hole plugging things, with latex at the low end (tiny holes) and moving up thru the fibers and then the rubber chunks in the tubeless slime. Glitter should add a next (or several more) size ranges of hole the sealant can plug - as well as give you lime green/red glitter sealant boogers:thumbsup:

Antifreeze is in there as a low evaporation working fluid. I note that slime is water/fiber/chunks/propylene glycol antifreeze(low tox). I tried using PG antifreeze, but it has additives for auto use that coagulate the latex. That's why I use cheap PE antifreeze - no additives!

·
Registered
65 Posts
wadester said:
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water

Tends to last for about a year vs 3 months for Stan's, and I live in the southwest desert (LC NM). Seals better, less "wet spotting".

I will be adding glitter to the next batch I make - turns out there are different sizes (and colors!) of glitter to think about.

The idea is a range of hole plugging things, with latex at the low end (tiny holes) and moving up thru the fibers and then the rubber chunks in the tubeless slime. Glitter should add a next (or several more) size ranges of hole the sealant can plug - as well as give you lime green/red glitter sealant boogers:thumbsup:

Antifreeze is in there as a low evaporation working fluid. I note that slime is water/fiber/chunks/propylene glycol antifreeze(low tox). I tried using PG antifreeze, but it has additives for auto use that coagulate the latex. That's why I use cheap PE antifreeze - no additives!
Been using the same for a couple of months- Works great in a "Ghetto" tubeless setup with a 2.55WWLT- Don't know if the glitter adds extra protection- added some anyway. Only issue is valve (schraeder) sometimes clogs.

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
wadester said:
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water

A year? Wow! Now find me a tire that last's a year!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Black pepper: I've stoped a few radiator leaks with it... I wonder how it would work in your homebrew??? I may have to give it a try.

BTW, what is Latex Mold Builder, were do you get it, and how much of this mixture do you put in each tire?

Mikey

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,380 Posts
MikeyLikesIt said:
BTW, what is Latex Mold Builder, were do you get it, and how much of this mixture do you put in each tire?
Mikey
Cloxxki got it: art supply stores, or the internets. Hobby Lobby is my usual source, but here's one: http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=177&page=0&cat_name=Latex Rubber&u_cat=28
And more important, the Material Safety Data Sheet - which tells you it is latex and ammonia (and a bit of water, but they don't actually say that): http://www.artmolds.com/pdf/ACF5DCA.PDF

mvi said:
Not trying to steal the thread, but does mold builder change his properties (not mixed) with time? Mine seems more solid, almost grannulating. Time for a new can?
I've brought spokeprep back to life by adding ammonia to it, and you might be able to do that to your LMB. But for $11/pt I would just spring for another jar. Once mixed into sealant, it hasn't degraded on me - stored in a glass jar inside the house.

Amount to use? Just like Stan's - for a 2.4x29 tire I use 3 scoops (2 oz ea)

Reactions: patski

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Mold builder you can get from art supply shops. It's straight up latex, with a funky smelling dilutent.
That or just look around in your refrigerator. Why build mold when you already have an inexaustible supply? Not latex, but it will be funky smelling none the less.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
1 Stans - 1 Slime Tubeless - 1 Bonty Super Juice. Seems good. Hoping to learn more about the glitter idea by the time I need to mount up the next tire! Maybe a little quicker acting than the little rubber plugs in the Slime.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
MikeyLikesIt said:
How long have you been running this mixture?
Only a couple of months. Previously, I used 1 part stans to 1 part Tubeless Slime. I added the Bonty Super Juice at the recommendation of MikeSee, who said it really helps keep the stuff from drying out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey wadester, or anyone...

Is latex the base material for Slime?? I live in a small town and the 'Mold Maker' (liquid latex) can't be found localy. :madmax: I was just wondering if your formula would work using an extra part Slime (in place of the mold maker). I can get Slime just about anywhere and it is relatively inexpensive.

What do you think of this variation to your recipe??

2 parts Slime
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water
a spoonful of glitter
and a dash of black pepper just to flavor things up

Mikey

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,380 Posts
Uh, no.....

MikeyLikesIt said:
Hey wadester, or anyone...

Is latex the base material for Slime?? I live in a small town and the 'Mold Maker' (liquid latex) can't be found localy. :madmax: I was just wondering if your formula would work using an extra part Slime (in place of the mold maker). I can get Slime just about anywhere and it is relatively inexpensive.

What do you think of this variation to your recipe??

2 parts Slime
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water
a spoonful of glitter
and a dash of black pepper just to flavor things up

Mikey
Slime is just antifreeze/water/fiber - and chunks in tubeless. Adding more/different chunks may improve your basic Slime, but I think that the real key to tubeless is the latex. That's what seals the beads and sidewall porosity.

Like I said earlier - you just gotta pony-up and get that jar of latex. I mix mine in a 5 pint pickle jar (barely fits - gotta stir that last water in carefully) and use till gone. I actually find that the mixed sealant is good to the last drop, but the latex will dry out in the jar

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had slime from tha auto parts store and compared it to the regular and tubeless slime. The auto parts stuff is noticeably chunkier. I now run the same mix as most everyone else here.

1 pt mold builder
1 pt slime (auto parts store stuff)
1 pt antifreeze
1 pt windex

It has been running strong in my tubeless rig (819 rims and Specialized Enduro UST 2.3 tires) for 6 months without replenishing. Stan's usually lasted a month here in the desert. The true testament will be if it can outlast the summer... The tires are about half worn and I never thought tires could be this trouble free!

I've had lots of cactus thorns, 1 nail and 1 piece of glass. All have sealed quickly. The only downside is the stuff is slightly nasty looking when it picks up dirt after sealing a hole. Oh and you need to mix all the mold builder up in one shot. As such it helps to have friends who want to do their tires as well. A batch turns out about 3/4 gallon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the input

It was interesting to see all the combinations. I think I am going to try the bonrtrager super juice as the base, slime (for cars to get the bigger chunks), glitter (purple sparkling), and dark, dark orange food coloring. I think this mixture should cover the gamut of hole sizes. In addition, if everything fails and I get the dreaded tubeless shower, I will be a chick magnet; orange stripes, purple glitter, and chunks of flourescent green!

1 - 20 of 4375 Posts