Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

We're a group from Montreal, Canada and we'll be in St.George/Hurricane in early may for a 8-9 days stay. We have intermediate and advanced riders and I'd like to hear you about the "to-do" trails in the area. All suggestions are welcome. Descriptions, even short, are a must.

Thanks !

·
I'd rather be biking...
937 Posts
Depends a lot of your riding style. We have a lot of different riding options which is a good thing for you. Gotta ride gooseberry mesa, little creek mesa, jem trail system, grafton mesa (if you want some gnarly scenic riding with extreme tech.) While over in hurricane. while in st george go ride zen, barrel trail, barrel roll trail system at the santa clara river preserve, Icehouse trail. Not sure if cedar mountain will have the snow fully melted by then and be rideable ill have to think about that but trails would be bunker creek, dark hollow,blow hard trail and virgin river rim trail are amazing trails up in the trees. check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail info

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rideit said:
Do you have a special camelback just for the Poutine?
Oh, I see we have a "connaisseur"... yes, of course! And since I'm French (yeah, froggy, made in France Frenchie), mine will be filled with Bordeaux wine...:D

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STT GUY said:
We have well in excess of 50 (fifty) trails in this area with everything from some pretty gnarly downhill stuff to easy fast and flowy single track.

How many in your group?
We're four. I'd like a mix of those (tech + flowy) depending on the day and power left in the meter... ;) We've been to Moab and Durango last year and enjoyed greatly the two places. Would you say that St. George/Hurricane is pretty similar to Moab?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
rideit said:
Where is there 'gnarly downhill stuff'?

Curious...
Either Red Bull site, Grafton, Flying Monkey and of course stuff up at Brian Head.

We're not "Shuttle Monkey" central by a long shot, but there's a little bit of everything around here.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Jerome said:
Thanks, I know these sites. I just want to have your personal insights and maybe hear about "secret/hidden gems"...
Secret trails and hidden gem's don't stay secret or hidden if you spout them out to folks on the internet... makes sense?

Is one of your group a lady named Joanne who rides a Juliana???

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
The most secretest hiddenest gem of them all!

Jerome said:
Thanks, I know these sites. I just want to have your personal insights and maybe hear about "secret/hidden gems"...
*in a shrill whisper just loud enough to be heard while pressing you ear to the screen* Have you ever of *pause for dramatic effect* Moab?!!!!!!! :D

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,464 Posts
STT GUY said:
Either Red Bull site, Grafton, Flying Monkey and of course stuff up at Brian Head.

We're not "Shuttle Monkey" central by a long shot, but there's a little bit of everything around here.
Yeah, that all counts!!!

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
STT GUY said:
Secret trails and hidden gem's don't stay secret or hidden if you spout them out to folks on the internet... makes sense?

Is one of your group a lady named Joanne who rides a Juliana???
No. We have a lady named Anja who rides a Nomad, though... :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
In 8-9 days, you could ride most every trail around st george/hurricane worth riding... All the stuff around Brianhead will be out in early May. Thunder Mtn in Bryce might be rideable if you're lucky. Trails I would recommend, in no particular order - Gooseberry, Goose to Grafton, Little Creek, Hurricane Rim loop, Guacamole, Church rocks, Zen/Barrels+, Paradise Canyon, Icehouse, Barrel Roll+. Depending on how much you plan on riding a day, you could even squeeze a day or two in Vegas - bootleg canyon, cowboy trails, cottonwood.

I'm sure if you post up again before you leave, you could get some folks here to show you around. I don't know any, but maybe someone might even show you a secret trail or two:D .

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mfshop said:
In 8-9 days, you could ride most every trail around st george/hurricane worth riding... All the stuff around Brianhead will be out in early May. Thunder Mtn in Bryce might be rideable if you're lucky. Trails I would recommend, in no particular order - Gooseberry, Goose to Grafton, Little Creek, Hurricane Rim loop, Guacamole, Church rocks, Zen/Barrels+, Paradise Canyon, Icehouse, Barrel Roll+. Depending on how much you plan on riding a day, you could even squeeze a day or two in Vegas - bootleg canyon, cowboy trails, cottonwood.

I'm sure if you post up again before you leave, you could get some folks here to show you around. I don't know any, but maybe someone might even show you a secret trail or two:D .
Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. We expect to ride Thunder Mtn too, but we'll see once there. We will stop in LV on our way back, but just for a night on the strip... :devil:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Jerome said:
Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. We expect to ride Thunder Mtn too, but we'll see once there. We will stop in LV on our way back, but just for a night on the strip... :devil:
Seriously... don't expect to ride Thunder mountain in early May, chances are pretty slim but sometimes you get lucky.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
shelbster15 said:
Depends a lot of your riding style. We have a lot of different riding options which is a good thing for you. Gotta ride gooseberry mesa, little creek mesa, jem trail system, grafton mesa (if you want some gnarly scenic riding with extreme tech.) While over in hurricane. while in st george go ride zen, barrel trail, barrel roll trail system at the santa clara river preserve, Icehouse trail. Not sure if cedar mountain will have the snow fully melted by then and be rideable ill have to think about that but trails would be bunker creek, dark hollow,blow hard trail and virgin river rim trail are amazing trails up in the trees. check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail info
++1!! shelbster knows what he is talking about...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just moved to washington area from santa cruz, ca. Have my v10 and forgot my Nomad (which I quickly realized I will be going back home to grab!). But I can peddle up pretty much anything and can go down pretty much anything.. I need some riding buddies, some practice, before the race season.

Love going fast, working on trails, shaping berms, etc. hitting big jumps, drops, chutes, anything and everything, just need someone to follow rather then gunea pigging everything.. Rocks out here arent so forgiving... :thumbsup:

And about your "secret trail" secrets dont remain secrets especially on MTBR or Pinkbike when people start broadcasting over the internet. I just need someone to ride with... PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I WENT FROM RIDING EVERYDAY TO NADA! :madman:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
What is the weather like in this area during the summer months? I've only been thru St George on the way to Lake Powell and don't know if I've ever actually stopped? I'm guessing it's scorching hot and not mtn bike riding weather?

Memorial Day weekend? Crowded? Too hot?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.