Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know every trail is concievably a SS trail (even Round Valley you animals! :eek: ) but let's face it some are just more fun than others when you are pushing jus one gear! So all you SS'ers out there- let's see what you guys/gals like!

Here is a sample of my fav.s... What trails am I missing out on?

1.) Hartshorne/ Huber- awesome, fast, hilly
2.) Mahlon Dickerson- perfect balance of hills, rocks etc...
3.) Allamuchy (easy section)- fun, cardio workout
4.) Lewis Morris- fun, cardio workout
5.) Chimney Rock- with beefier tires (2.25+) I have fun here- with my 2.1 XC Pros I tend to get beaten up

~6.) Blue Marsh, PA- out of state but long, strenous and fast!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Exactly

MUSTCLIME said:
Ringwood, waywayyonder....for starters
How could you not include these two...rocks fireroad, single track, up and down. rolling, streams etc

Hartshorne is fun but it's an over crowded sand pit with very little technical compared to others...:skep:

·
Icebiker
447 Posts
Kvsp

Kittatiny is perfect....start at Waterloo lot of the Sussex Branch rail trail (SE corner of Allamuchy), 6 mile warm up spin, 12 - 15 miles around KVSP, then 6 mile cool-down spin back to the car. :thumbsup:

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
My fave to SS were:
Kittatinny
Hartshorne
Lewis Morris

I still miss Hartshorne, that was my favorite NJ trail when I was there. The speed of the sand after a slight drizzle was awesome. Plus good lunch in town afterwards (thanks again JimG for buying that day).

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Personally every trail in NJ can be fun on a SS, but I tend to leave the SS *home* when I ride these:

Skyline area
Ringwood
Allamuchy (north)

simply because I find them more fun on a bike with travel. But on the other hand, I reach for the SS automatically at these places:

Tourne, Lewis Morris, Chimney Rock, Hartshorne, Deer Park and KVSP.

To me riding a 5" FS at Lewis Morris is like riding a rigid SS at Diablo: wrong tool. But as always, YMMV. Do whatever makes you get on the bike.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See- I never thought of...

The Tourne or Kittatiny...

I guess Ringwood would be fun but I agree with Mergs a full susp just makes the trail soooo much more fun!!!

Never rode Skyline. Maybe a group ride could be organized in the future!:thumbsup:

·
Broken
417 Posts
I like Round Valley.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you're heading up 87 and have the SS with you, check out Stewart State Forest in Newburgh, just 10 minutes off 87. Approx 60 miles from say Morristown. Look for the "Dark Horse 40" race up there on August 6th.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have always wanted to ride Stokes. Would you be willing to lead a group ride there? If so, is there a time that would work for you, like maybe next weekend?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This is a useful thread for me as I'm about to turn one of my bikes into a single speed.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
pixy said:
Since some of you have ss at Lewis Morris, could you advise me on your preferred gear ratio there?

I am an occasional ss'er and have not been there in years, and was considering riding there this week. I use a 32x20 at Blue, Ringwood and Kittatinny, but also have an18 and 16 cog to choose from.

pixy
hey pixy.. i tried a 32 x 16 at LM and hated it.. riding a 32 x 18 now and have been much happier. good for Lewis Morris and Deer Park so far. Riding Ringwood tonight on the SS!

phat

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
phatbiker said:
hey pixy.. i tried a 32 x 16 at LM and hated it.. riding a 32 x 18 now and have been much happier. good for Lewis Morris and Deer Park so far. Riding Ringwood tonight on the SS!

phat
hey, don't forget to hit "phat-rock" ;)

i'm road riding with the RVCC crew (pixy and her husband art) tonight, else i'd meet you there. you have a bomber loop setup there that i just can't seem to recreate. i'm missing one trail in your repetoir.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
mergs said:
hey, don't forget to hit "phat-rock" ;)

i'm road riding with the RVCC crew (pixy and her husband art) tonight, else i'd meet you there. you have a bomber loop setup there that i just can't seem to recreate. i'm missing one trail in your repetoir.
repetoir??? humm.. before this i couldn't even spell R E P E T O I R.. have fun tonight. leaving from the school at 6pm sharp in case a sharp eye catches this one.

nelson

1 - 18 of 18 Posts