Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently using a Fox 36 Van RC2 on a Moment 1.5 frame with an Avy Montie shock, and it is fantastic. However, the fork is not (yet) mine, and I may look at some other options. There's nothing I don't like about the handling of the Van, and it's hard to imagine anything being more plush (I'm using the stiff spring and very little preload). I like the coil since I never have to pump, and once it's set up, I don't mess with the damping, so I probably don't need all those adjustments.

I can see the following room for improvement:
Quick-release through-axle
Lighter weight (might have to go air for that)
Ability to easily drop for climbing
Less expensive

I'm right around 200 lb, technical trailrider, fast descents, light freeride. Other than another Fox 36, what should I be looking at?

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
I just ordered a 09 36 rc2 Van.
I'm coming off an AM1 with travel adjust & honestly I used it a few times when it was new & after the novelty wore off I haven't touched it since.
If you want lighter you can go air, but the weight savings isn't anything more than 1/2 a lb static weight.
I'm about 210 geared up & looked into all the available forks. Everything else either has issues, weighs more, or doesn't have a 20mm thru axle. At this weight I want something burly like me & can handle the abuse.
Yes you pay more for Fox but you are getting what you pay for.
Other forks I gave serious consideration to are the Wotan, & Lyric.

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
+1 Van RC2

I have a Fox 36 Talas and am swapping it out for the Van. I never use the travel adjustment and the air fork doesnt feel nearly as plush as the Van. Look over in All Mountain forum for comparison with Lyrik and Wotan.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I currently run an '07 66 ata and I do love the fork. However. I think that I see a Lyrik solo air in my future especially if PUSH industries starts to work on them.
If it feels nearly as good as my pushed coil dhx I think it will be the ultimate fork for the Moment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
like spartacus rex i bought a 36 talas rc2 2008 for my moment
but never managed to get it dialed correctly
not plush, unable to reach full travel, never used the travel adjustment etc.....
i'm french so i've send it to a french suspension center: they turned it into a van
way, way, way .....better: i think i'll never go back to air

·
Registered
81 Posts
I run a Wotan 2008 on my Moment and it harmonizes nicely with the Fox air shock. The Wotan is one of the very few forks that are troublefree this year and they do have a great CS.
But I would also like to try a new Fox Van.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've just put on a Lyrik U-Turn Coil - loving it so far! Think I've found a fork the matches the back end (for my riding anyway). Obviously it weighs a bit but I've just laid off the pies.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you don't need travel adjustment, any of the fixed Lyriks or the Vanilla would be great. if you do need the travel adjustment, I'd go with the Magura Wotan for air and then the TALAS 36 RC2 or the Lyrik Coil U-Turn if you are not particularly stokes about an air fork. I'd personally use either one of the three. If it were my only bike, I'd go with the Wotan first and TALAS next. If it needed to be my beefier build, I'd go with the Coil U-Turn first and Vanilla next.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
SlayMe said:
I run a Wotan 2008 on my Moment and it harmonizes nicely with the Fox air shock. The Wotan is one of the very few forks that are troublefree this year and they do have a great CS.
But I would also like to try a new Fox Van.
Personally I don't like the feel of the Wotan. Too much stiction in the begining of the stroke. It actually gets worse as it breaks in. Felt better right out of the box.

Just my .02

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Well ya gonna save minimal weight in a 36talas or float or similar fork compared to the Van, if ya have to replace the one youre running, I'd go with the Van and there new style QR is awesome as good or close to RS maxle its a cinch to use, weight difference is nothing compared to the quality of damping imo, ya get spare springs 3 with the fork and its so easy to swap it makes putting the pump onto the talas seem difficult!

The Lyrik would be right up there but since ya wanting to save weight the coil Lyrik is heavier though not much in it!

Im a fan of the Wotan to but any air fork is gonna have some sticion, thats the price ya pay!

For the weight penalty just train a little harder its worth it imo on a bike like that, plus its minimal once ya over 5inhces leave the XC ww stuff behind and enjoy the ride:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
TIMBERRR said:
Personally I don't like the feel of the Wotan. Too much stiction in the begining of the stroke. It actually gets worse as it breaks in. Felt better right out of the box.

Just my .02
Hm, one of the reasons I like the Wotan is that it is really smooth in the beginning of the stroke. It feels almost like a good coil fork.
Did you press down the travel adjust handle while changing the air load? If not, then that could be the reason for the stiction you got.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Flyer said:
What fork are you running, TIMBERRR?
I'm on a 66 ata. I too like the lyriks but there is something about the New '09 fox stuff that has caught my eye.

A buddy has the Wotan 160. I have also felt the 20mm 140 from Magura. they both felt the same.

Another fork to consider is the Kowa 160ss. Now that thing is buttery! WOW:eekster:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.