Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just want to hear some takes on what are potentially the best trails in Ontario.

I ride the Don system on a regular, and it's great and all but I would like to try some others.

I hear the 3 Stage in Collingwood is one of the most technical XC riding, that can lead to a wicked view off an escarpment.

Any others I should add on the list?

1. 3 Stage (Collingwood)
2. The Bruce (Niagra Region?)
3. Hardwood (Barrie)
4. Buckwallow (Gravenhurst)
5. Copeland Forest (Midhurst)
6. Hydrocut (Waterloo)
7. Kelso (Milton)
8. Puslinch (Guelph)
9, Turkey Point (Turkey Point lol)

·
Registered
497 Posts
My opinion on the best trails in Ontario is probably the locals secret trail that everybody on here seems to talk about the most...Copland Forest. And after riding out in Calgary so far this summer it is still my favorite trail to go ride for hours on end.

But if you are looking for must hit trails then you need to include Hardwood and Buckwallow.

·
Movin' to Montana soon
95 Posts
Copeland Forest a secret?I heard about it from someone who didn't even ride a mountain bike and had never even been there before.

I'll put a vote in for Copeland,throw Mansfield in there too.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I also ride the Don. It’s over-rated, but there’s no question that if you get off the ridge trail and explore the “secret” trails, you are going to get strong physically and technically. If you can ride trails like Motown, Fourplay, or Dr. Quads without putting a foot down, you’re a beast with bike handling skills. But there’s a lot more to Ontario riding. Buckwallow is nice enough, but keep driving north and do Porcupine Ridge at Santa’s Village. The rock there will keep you awake. There’s nothing quite like wheelie-dropping four feet off granite to granite, rolling a few feet along, and then dropping in to a twelve foot granite wall. It’s a whole ‘nother kind of skill. Look DOug of “Doug’s Run” fame up at Ecclestone Cycles. He’ll show you around.

Copeland is, well, nice. It has a balance of things, there’s some rooty climbing goodness, I remember like one skinny plank over a stream, and lots of trails that flow. Not sure it as Ontario’s best, but if you don’t ride it, you’ve certainly missed something. It’s an all-round nice trail. WCC’s Hydrocut is another all-round nice trail. Do it.

Mohawk Agreement Forest and/or Hilton Falls exist to help cyclist test their carbon frame crash replacement warranties. If you’re whizzing over the Don’s Ridge Trail and feel like you aren’t getting your money’s worth from your bike’s full suspension, join one of the weekly MAF/HF rides. These trails are gnarly with rock. Some trails are made of dirt, punctuated with rock gardens. MAF/HF are made of rck gardens with short dirt sections to break up the monotony of standing up and finessing your bike over step-ups and baby heads. When they become easy, you can go ride St. Helena’s Road in the same area. Say hello to Bob the Beast, he’s the one riding that stuff on a full rigid 29er

Coipeland is nice, but it’s a bit of a trek from Toronto. Try joining DMBA on a Wednesday Night in Durham Forest. Fast. Fast. Fast. Berms. Flow. Sandy, washed-out corners to practice your “Tokyo Drift” skills. Some rooty climbing goodness (The Wall, The Toilet Bowl).

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
singlesprockets trail ratings (this is only my opinion so don't get butt hurt)

-albion... yawn (pay)
-palgrave... meh (free)
-3 stages... meh (free)
-hardwood... meh (pay)
-porc and buck... to far away (pay)
-duff... ok (free)
-don... ok (free)
-durham... meh (free)
-ccc trails (erin, inglewood)... meh (pay)
-blue... ok (pay)
-copeland/horseshoe... ok (free, pay)
-milton (and area)... meh (mostly pay)
-kolapore... ok (free)
-mono... ok (free)

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
singlesprockets trail ratings (this is only my opinion so don't get butt hurt)

-albion... yawn (pay)
-palgrave... meh (free)
-3 stages... meh (free)
-hardwood... meh (pay)
-porc and buck... to far away (pay)
-duff... ok (free)
-don... ok (free)
-durham... meh (free)
-ccc trails (erin, inglewood)... meh (pay)
-blue... ok (pay)
-copeland/horseshoe... ok (free, pay)
-milton (and area)... meh (mostly pay)
-kolapore... ok (free)
-mono... ok (free)
Looks like you are either in the wrong sport or the wrong province! I'm guessing it's the latter. :)

·
I dd what you see there.
717 Posts
Sorry for the obligatory esoteric answer, but my favourite trail is whichever one I am on at the time.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If you told me I could only ride one set of trails from now on, I'd probably stop mountain biking. They all bring some unique factor in and I couldn't limit myself to just one.

I'll just admit it. I'm a trail whore.

But for the sake of playing this game, If I was told I was going to die tomorrow and needed one last ride, I'd head to the Hydrocut and then desperately try to outrun the reaper and get a ride in at Puslinch right after.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
buckwallow and hardwood are 2 of my favorites. just a little to far away and cost money but worth it.
locally i like mono cliffs and sections of the bruce trail.

·
Registered
954 Posts
1) Ontario is a pretty big place
2) Best trail? depends on the riding you're into

Better off to look at what YOU like in a trail (rocky tech, flowy singletrack, etc.) and go searching for that. People can submit lists all they want, doesn't mean any of the destinations will connect with you.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
to bad for this though...

i like how bikes are clumped in with motorized vehicles and the caption of the photo implies that all of the trail is off limits...
I am willing to bet that 3/4 of the private land owners don't care either way if bikes are allowed on the trails. If I still lived in Ontario I'd be pushing hard to get it opened up to bikes. If the BTA won't listen then go directly to the land owners.

Either way legal or illegal the Bruce and all it's side trails is still the best true mountain biking in the province

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's an interesting perspective. I know you've advocated for this fairly consistently. Since I wouldn't have said any one individual section of the bruce trail is significantly better than say the best of the fairly comprehensive list of mtb-oriented trails above, I'm guessing that what you're referring to is more the continuity of it, the overall length, it being a linear trail rather than a bunch of loops. Is that the idea? I'd be inclined to share that point of view if that's the case.

On a similar note, who here thinks the trans-Canada trail is anything more than a corporate eco/green/marketing and branding exercise? I remember once a few years back when the trans-trail people tried to brand a few sections of local Ontario trail that had been maintained for years rather anonymously and voluntarily. I might have accidentally dislodged a small number of those trans-trail badges as I brushed past them. I don't get out as much these days, would be curious to know how that program is going here in Ontario (and points east for that matter)?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.