Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my daughter up to pepperdine tomorrow. Any suggestions for a good 2 to 3 hour MTB ride near there?

Thanks!

·
cask conditioned
625 Posts
The closest trails are a short way up the cyn at Malibu Creek State Park. You can do a couple nice loops depending on if you want a leisurely stroll or a lot of hard climbing. It's probably the most scenic area to ride.

If you drive up PCH a bit more and go up Kannan Rd you can access the Backbone Trail and ride as long as you wish.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
endo verendo said:
The closest trails are a short way up the cyn at Malibu Creek State Park. You can do a couple nice loops depending on if you want a leisurely stroll or a lot of hard climbing. It's probably the most scenic area to ride.

If you drive up PCH a bit more and go up Kannan Rd you can access the Backbone Trail and ride as long as you wish.

Don't mind climbing. Scenery is a nice plus. Any links to maps?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at geoladders and came up with 3 possibilities:

1.Big Sycamore

2.Zuma Ridge

3.Bulldog Mesa

Best views and riding? Kind of want pacific ocean views and breezes

Thanks!

·
So is your face
569 Posts
On geoladders checkout Backbone - Corral to Kaanan. Trailhead is just up the road from Pepperdine.

·
cask conditioned
625 Posts
richwolf said:

1.Big Sycamore

2.Zuma Ridge

3.Bulldog Mesa

Thanks!
Breezes and views... Try Zuma and add some Backbone to it. Sycamore is a bit far up the coast for you.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
endo verendo said:
Breezes and views... Try Zuma and add some Backbone to it. Sycamore is a bit far up the coast for you.

Thanks!

First time in my life that I will have any backbone!;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
richwolf said:

1.Big Sycamore

2.Zuma Ridge

3.Bulldog Mesa

Big Sycamore is too far away - lots of good riding closer. Zuma Ridge would have good views (if it's not too foggy; we've had a heavy marine layer most mornings lately) and sea breezes, and it's a good climb. But it's probably not 2-3 hours, and not the best climb around. My personal preference would be to start at the corner of Malibu Canyon Rd and Mulholland Highway, ride through the Malibu Creek State Park up the Bulldog Motorway. That's one of toughest climbs around - about a 4 mile fairly relentless fire road with a few tough spots. At the top, turn right and go towards the peak with lots of antennas. Take the first fire road on the left to get down to the Backbone trail (you'll have to pass your bike over a fence at one point). At the Backbone, go left (east) for a very sweet singletrack that ends at the Corral Canyon parking lot. From there you can go up the fire road to the left, which will take you back to the top of Bulldog. That's the easiest way back. I think that would be about 2 hours.

You can also take a much longer route to the right (going down the paved road, and turning left at the first chance on a dirt fire road). This eventually takes you back to Malibu Canyon Road - with some great ocean views along the way - and you can catch a singletrack back to Malibu Creek State Park. But it's kinda hard to explain the turns (mainly, you need to make sure to go left at a major intersection of fire roads, or else you'll end up down at the beach with your car back in the mountains!), maybe the detailed directions are somewhere else, or you could figure it out from Google Earth. That would be closer to 3 hours - a really nice ride, though!

Lots of good riding close by. It's going to be a bit warm tomorrow - the earlier the start, the better! Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I decided that if I was going to drive hundreds of miles why not drive the extra 15 or so mile to Pt. Mugu State park and ride Big Sycamore?

Lovely day and great area.

Payed to park for day use. They didn't tell me where day use parking was so I picked an empty camp spot with shade and a picnic table. Went riding and when I returned I had a $44 ticket on my window. Went to the booth and talked my way out of it.

Have to go up Friday to pick up daughter. I will probably Zuma or Bulldog that day.

Thanks for the tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you're up in the area again, the best trail out in that area--in my opinion--is the backbone trail between Kannan Road and Corral Cyn road. If you've got a full day, I'd suggest an out and back starting at the first tunnel off Kannan road (you go up the obvious trail that goes over the tunnel). Ride that out till you have to cross Latigo Road. Keep going until you cross a fire road, keep going down the single-track, enjoy a long fun downhill, until you climb out to a dirt parking lot (that's not far from the where the top of Bulldog comes out. I don't recommend Bulldog) at Coral Cyn. Then go back. It's a long ride but it showcases the best of what's out there. Do this on your next trip out.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
pacman said:
Ooops, you were on a trail closed to bikes. That would be hard to talk your way out of.
I thought only the Boney Mountain trails out there were closed to bikes? Anything west of Big Sycamore itself was fair game?

... and I've parked in the campsite parking before when the day use lot was full, I didn't know you could get a ticket for that :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
0gravity said:
If you're up in the area again, the best trail out in that area--in my opinion--is the backbone trail between Kannan Road and Corral Cyn road. If you've got a full day, I'd suggest an out and back starting at the first tunnel off Kannan road (you go up the obvious trail that goes over the tunnel). Ride that out till you have to cross Latigo Road. Keep going until you cross a fire road, keep going down the single-track, enjoy a long fun downhill, until you climb out to a dirt parking lot (that's not far from the where the top of Bulldog comes out. I don't recommend Bulldog) at Coral Cyn. Then go back. It's a long ride but it showcases the best of what's out there. Do this on your next trip out.
Even though I recommended the Bulldog route, I have to agree that this is a nicer ride - one of the best in the whole Santa Monica Mountains, I think. Great canyon singletrack, some tough climbs that aren't too long, some nice technical sections and some nice swoopy singletrack. It's about 13 miles round trip as described and takes me about 2 hours. If you want more, you can go west of Kanan for another few miles of out-and-back singletrack. Highly recommended!

It's not nearly as far as Sycamore Canyon. From Pepperdine, take Pacific Coast Highway west (towards Ventura), turn right on Kanan Road, and turn left into the parking lot right after you go through the first tunnel.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pacman said:
Ooops, you were on a trail closed to bikes. That would be hard to talk your way out of.

Ya I figured that out without any help from the Rangers! I tried to follow the geoladders description and I eventually ended up on poor excuse for a foot path which I had to push my bike on. I finally found my way and had a great ride. I didn't see any no bike signs along the way.

Thanks for all the tips.

Concerning my ticket, I pointed out to them that their signage should be better. I said it probably didn't happen much, but the lady at the booth said it happens quite a bit.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Kyoseki said:
I thought only the Boney Mountain trails out there were closed to bikes? Anything west of Big Sycamore itself was fair game?

... and I've parked in the campsite parking before when the day use lot was full, I didn't know you could get a ticket for that :)
He was far-far West into La Jolla Valley Natural Preserve. Many trails in Sycamore are closed to bikes too, time to check one of the maps you can pick up.

pic - this is on Overlook.

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
fatbottomedgurl said:
If you do that ride be forewarned that you will encounter poison oak in the shady creek areas- look out for those red leaves. It's a good idea to scrub down with some Dawn or Technu when you get back to the car- just in case.
I forgot to mention that! Since it's all singletrack, there's lots of opportunity to brush against an errant branch hanging over the trail. I usually half to do some careful zig-zags to avoid some places - but have been luck lately, so you can ride this without getting poison oak. Technu is miraculous, though, if you do touch any.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
agoura_biker said:
I forgot to mention that! Since it's all singletrack, there's lots of opportunity to brush against an errant branch hanging over the trail. I usually half to do some careful zig-zags to avoid some places - but have been luck lately, so you can ride this without getting poison oak. Technu is miraculous, though, if you do touch any.

I had a friend who went out hiking. Nature called, he grabbed a handful of leaves. It was poison ivy leaves. He ended up in the hospital it got so bad. He also got it all over his face because later on he decided he didn't want a sunburn and in so putting on the suntan lotion it got all over his face and arms.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
You're going to feed your daughter to the Bulldog?

If she's not too much into climbing, that's not going to be her idea of a good time.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jeffj said:
You're going to feed your daughter to the Bulldog?

If she's not too much into climbing, that's not going to be her idea of a good time.
No,she is at a youth conference at Pepperdine, so it will only be self feeding to the dog.
We have to go to a dinner that night so I need a place to clean up. Are there showers at Malibu state park?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts