Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Santa Clara in 2 weeks for work, and I would love to go sample your local trails.

I like single track trails. I am not a big fan of rock gardens, but I can handle some rocks.

I am an intermediate rider, with some racing experience.

I would like to ride for ~1-3 hours.

I would like to drive less than 1 hour from Santa Clara.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
I'm going to be one of 10 people who will point you to the sticky faq and the trail reviews section.

With that out of the way, there's a lot of ridding within 1 hour of Santa Clara. I'd personally recommend Saratoga Gap as it's very fun but not very technical, with a couple of really fun single track loops that can be completed within an hour/hour and a half. Skeggs is about the best riding you'll get within an hour, but it's much more technical and can make for much more epic rides. Fremont Older is much closer by, but it's mostly fire roads and I ride there after work to unwind or to get some cardio in. You should also consider riding in Santa Cruz, but depending on the traffic, it often takes more than an hour to get there.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I for one really enjoy Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz, about an hour drive from Santa Clara. Enchanted and Zane Grey are two of my favorite trails there, the views descending towards the ocean on Zane Grey are just fantastic.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
+1 for Santa Cruz - 40 minutes from Santa Clara, 10 degrees cooler temp wise, Views and the singletrack trails the Santa Cruz bikes were developed on and if the popularity of SC bikes is any indicator.... i.e. the best bikes begat from the best trails. If your here for 2 weeks you can sample a good bit of the Kine trails..... Demo, is up there too.... Santa Cruz is the "bikey-ist" place in the region.... arguable with shallow alto but..... shallo alto doesn't have singletrack.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
hkenshin said:
I'm going to be one of 10 people who will point you to the sticky faq and the trail reviews section.

With that out of the way, there's a lot of ridding within 1 hour of Santa Clara. I'd personally recommend Saratoga Gap as it's very fun but not very technical, with a couple of really fun single track loops that can be completed within an hour/hour and a half. Skeggs is about the best riding you'll get within an hour, but it's much more technical and can make for much more epic rides. Fremont Older is much closer by, but it's mostly fire roads and I ride there after work to unwind or to get some cardio in. You should also consider riding in Santa Cruz, but depending on the traffic, it often takes more than an hour to get there.
What where is Fremont Older? Is it in Fremont? Yes, I'll check the trail guides also. :D

Edit: Oh of course it's in Cupertino and not Fremont. That would make too much sense. hahaha

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Rides near Santa Clara

Fremont Older open Space preserve in Cupertino is probably closest. Good work-out, but not very technical. Make sure to hit all three parts of the Toyon trail and Seven Springs Loop. You can park at the end of Prospect Road or at Steven's Creek Reservoir Park along Foothill Blvd.

St Joseph Park, Priest Rock and Overgrown Trails in Los Gatos are close by as well. You can bike there taking the smooth Los Gatos Creek Trail through Vasona park.

Santa Teresa Park is a little further south along Hwy 85. It can be hot there as well, but going down Rocky Ridge trail or conquering Stiles Ranch trail's switchbacks is always fun. It's definitely better riding there than in Almaden/Quicksilver park.

Saratoga Gap has some great rides. Park at Hwy 9 and 35 intersection and take the Gap and Ridge trail going North to Horse Shoe Lake (and beyond).

Russian Ridge on Hwy 35 has a few nice trails: Ancient Oaks and Hawk trail. You can bike there from Saratoga Gap and return via Cloud's Rest, Meadow, Alpine, White Oaks, Canyon and Table Mountain Trail for a 3+ hour ride.

You can also park along Stevens Canyon Road, bike up Canyon Trail and Indian Creek Trail to the top of Black Mountain, return via old Ranch and Bella Vista trail, turn right on Canyon, left on the nature trail to Monte Bello Parking, take the trail next to Page Mill road up to the start of White Oaks Trail, return via White Oaks, and Canyon Trail to your car.

Skeggs Point aka Corte de Madera is further North along Hwy 35 and has some truly great trails. (Blue Blossom, Manzanita, Resolution and North and South Leaf).

Soquel Demonstration Forest ("demo") is a little further out and you may need someone to show you around there the first time. Park at the land slide on Highland way. Take Highland down and up to Buzzard's Lagoon, turn right and take Buzzards Lagoon/Aptos Fire Road passed a gate to a clearing with a view of the ocean on your left and the start of Ridge Trail on your right. Take Ridge and Sawpit down, turn right and take Hihn, Tractor and Ridge Trail up, go down Braille and take Hihn to Highland Way, turn left and bike back up to your car for a good 2.5+ hour ride.

Wilder State park in Santa Cruz has some nice trails (Old Cabin, Enchanted Loop) and it's quite a bit cooler there.

Rumor has it that UCSC has some nice trails as well. But you may need a guide there as well.

Big Basin State Park allows biking only on fire roads. But you can ride all the way down to the Pacific Ocean in between the Redwoods.

Henry Coe State Park may be too hot this time of the year, but they allow night riding. So a late evening loop from Coe Headquarters taking Flat Frog Trail, Middle Ridge down and China Hole Trail back up might work with good lights and a map.

J.L.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What everyone else has said, plus

Rancho Canada Del Oro- About 30-45mins south of Santa Clara. About 9 miles, a mix of fire road and single/dbl track with some pretty sustained climbing. Nothing technical but it has great views, usually deserted, even on the weekends, and the rangers don't care how fast you go.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What everyone else has said, plus

Rancho Canada Del Oro- About 30-45mins south of Santa Clara. About 9 miles, a mix of fire road and single/dbl track with some pretty sustained climbing. Nothing technical but it has great views, usually deserted, even on the weekends, and the rangers don't care how fast you go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.