Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says. What do you guys with experience think would make the best fat bike frame for trail use 95% of the time. I've looked at Farley, Corvus, and Reeb frames. I would do a 1x11 with some hudu's most likely. I'd like to have the flexibility to run 29+ as well. Any thoughts or other recommendations

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rocky Mountain Blizzard or Salsa Bucksaw, their current unavailability notwithstanding....
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

·
Registered
83 Posts
Best fat bike frame for trail use 95% of the time ? That's easy.

It's the new and improved steel carbon fiber aluminum titanium quasi suspended single/dingle triple IGH compatible multi functional frame capable of running 6.8" tires. It's a must have (!)

Everything else will seem so yesterday (!)

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
For a trail bike the Farley would work really well. I am not familiar with the Reeb. The Corvus looks like a nice bike, but more geared towards ultra winter cycling and less trail riding. The fact that *I think* the Corvus won't play well with Bluto would be a reason to look else where if that is ever a consideration. Personally, I love my Whiteout and plan on running Bluto when it becomes available.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Bike designed specifically for dirt and singletrack, to my knowledge:

Nicolai Argon
Singular Puffin
On One
Ventana El Gordo
???

Most others, including the big names(Fatback, Borealis, 9::Zero::7, Surly, Salsa, Lamere), as far as I know, have been designed to work well on soft surfaces and trails. They'll still ride like a bike on trails, but the others have more trail oriented geometry and it will probably show in the ride on dirt.

EDIT:: I just want to make it clear that I'm not knocking any of the big names for riding trails. They'll all ride fine on dirt, and all the ones designed more for trails will probably ride fine on snow and other soft surfaces. Just saying that the ones designed more specifically with singletrack in mind will probably handle that a little better than the others.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bike designed specifically for dirt and singletrack, to my knowledge:

Nicolai Argon
Singular Puffin
On One
Ventana El Gordo
???

Most others, including the big names(Fatback, Borealis, 9::Zero::7, Surly, Salsa, Lamere), as far as I know, have been designed to work well on soft surfaces and trails. They'll still ride like a bike on trails, but the others have more trail oriented geometry and it will probably show in the ride on dirt.
Should add sandman to this list

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm loving my Trek Farley on the trail. I put a Salsa Makwa carbon front fork on it and fitted it out with Niner RDO carbon bars and seat post. The geometry reminds me of my air carbon. It tracks like a laser and climbs like a mountain goat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm loving my Trek Farley on the trail. I put a Salsa Makwa carbon front fork on it and fitted it out with Niner RDO carbon bars and seat post. The geometry reminds me of my air carbon. It tracks like a laser and climbs like a mountain goat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
first time i rode my Farley on the trail i frequent and i was surprised how well i climbed. i hate to think i may have to ride or more than my HT and FS...

·
Registered
167 Posts
On paper the Beargrease should be a kickass trail bike with 68.5 degree head tube and a very short chainstay (for a fatty). I've got 5 friends riding them, so it's getting to be dirt season here in Upstate NY. Two guys are building up 29+ wheelsets, so the testing will begin. Since it's already suspension corrected for a 120m fork, toss a Bluto on there and it really should be the ideal trail bike.

I ride a large and of course there are 3 mediums and 2 XL's, just my luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts