Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used anything but a Shimano cassette and want to try and titanium one. I don't care about price but rather if they work properly and hopefully the same as a XTR.

What have you used? good and bad points?

If you give a opinion and have not personally owned one please say so in the response.

thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
A very long time ago a friend got me a good deal on a set of Boone cogs. Nice, but not really worth the $ and don't believe they're an option anymore in any case (fwiw I don't think XTR cassettes are worth the $ either). The Boones shifted well, but only Shimano cassettes will have the same ramping on the cogs if that's what you mean by working the same as XTR . Aside from Action-tec is there any other choice for a ti cassette these days? Haven't looked in a very long time. If you have an aluminum freehub body you might want to consider that not having a spider can be an issue.

·
Registered
995 Posts
There's the one's that Nino sells and then there's the cycle king one's on ebay. If I understand right, they are the same cassette from Recon, except the cycle king is cheaper. and Nino is the only person who I could find that sells the silver one with red spider.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Save your dough. Ti offers a certain amount of weight savings, but at a cost of shorter cassette life. Unless you're competing at a level where a savings of a few grams makes a difference of finishing in the money or not, you're buying shorter life for more money.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FBinNY said:
Save your dough. Ti offers a certain amount of weight savings, but at a cost of shorter cassette life. Unless you're competing at a level where a savings of a few grams makes a difference of finishing in the money or not, you're buying shorter life for more money.
like I said, I don't care about cost.

Have you used a TI cassette? why did it wear faster?

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
jbsteven said:
like I said, I don't care about cost.

Have you used a TI cassette? why did it wear faster?
Just what is your goal? What are your expectations for wear? Simply saving weight no matter the cost?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Just what is your goal? What are your expectations for wear? Simply saving weight no matter the cost?
I have ALWAYS used Shimano. I would like to test a Ti one to see how it works. If it works close enough to XTR then I would start buying Ti ones (because I like the idea of having a ti cassette and the weight savings).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Car-free for 4 years, epic weekend rides and an hour a day of commuting, now my brother has the bike and trains/races with it.

M952 XTR titanium rear cassette, just starting to wear to the point of replacement after all these miles/ years.

Kept my bike clean, and used Finishline dry lube. I have also used non Shimano ti cassettes (don't recall the brand, many moons ago) and it wore out very quickly.

XTR titanium cassettes are woth it IMO. With a well maintained bike, you should get years out of it.

Add- I also replaced the chains like 3 times a year, you would be surprised at how many miles you get out of chainrings and cassettes if you keep a fresh chain in the system!

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
jbsteven said:
I have ALWAYS used Shimano. I would like to test a Ti one to see how it works. If it works close enough to XTR then I would start buying Ti ones (because I like the idea of having a ti cassette and the weight savings).
I'm a Shimano cassette fan but no weight weenie these days, not unless I get a freaking great deal. My understanding is the smaller ti cogs don't wear as well as larger ones (assume that's why Shimano does it that way with the XTR, just doing the four largest cogs in ti). I've got a couple worn cogs on the Boone set I've got, but it was on and off a few bikes and used in various conditions, don't think they gave remarkable life, but hard to say for sure.

So how much did your new cassette cost? (could you post a link to Nino's site...I know of him only).

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Pure awesome....

Ask for advice, ignore all advice given, then buy the most expensive, least bang for you buck.

Hey, at least you can tell people about your Ti parts though....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
davep said:
Ask for advice, ignore all advice given,
Actually, he took the advice from post number 3. He bought Nino's cassette.

davep said:
then buy the most expensive, least bang for you buck.
One's persons expensive is another's peanuts.

davep said:
Hey, at least you can tell people about your Ti parts though....
So what? Maybe, just maybe, it's none of your business how other people choose to spend their $$.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
More awesome!!! Have to love the lack of reading comprehension.

The OP specifically asked (on an open public forum) for good and bad points of 'Ti' cassettes. The OP makes a destinction between 'shimano' and 'Ti' cassettes, making it overly obvious that he does not even understand cassette materials and construction. He then questions the (correct) statement about durability (again, a lack of understanding of simple material properties that he could easily verify with a google search).

Multiple clarification questions were asked by several people trying to help, none were answered....no clarification of expectations, or decision parameters provided..only that the OP wanted a 'Ti' rather than 'shimano' cassette.

It was pointed out that Shimano does indeed make 'Ti' cassettes, and thus contrasting 'Ti' with 'shimano' makes no sense what so ever. It was also pointed out by several people that if indeed one was for some reason needing to have a 'Ti' cassette, the proper method for doing so is to use Ti only on the larger cogs with more load spread.

Post three in fact does NOT answer the original question posted. Instead, it points out that the exact same 'Ti' cassette is sold by several vendors, and that 'Nino's' was more $$ for the same part. It answers the question of where to buy a 'Ti' cassete, a question that was never asked.

I could care less how much money people want to spend on bike parts (more the merrier), but it is VERY well understood that in every market, the top end 'botique' products offer the absolute worst bang for the buck (look up 'theory of diminishing returns').
BUT, if you dont want to hear others opinions, dont ASK for it.

The OP clearly does not understand what he is buying or why. He asked for (basic) input, and recieved several ballanced and correct thoughts about titanium cassettes and their shortcommings (as well as clarification questions that he never answered)...yet ignored it all.

Why post (asking for advice) at all if you are just going to just ignore all advice given?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
davep said:
More blah blah blah,,,

I could care less how much money people want to spend on bike parts
I doubt it, it's obvious from your post.

I'll say it again, who cares if he bought the most expensive?

It's not up to you to determine the best "bang for buck" for the OP.

Who cares if he tells his friends?

davep said:
top end 'botique' products offer the absolute worst bang for the buck
So?

davep said:
look up 'theory of diminishing returns'
I'll open my 8 year old's textbook when I get a chance thanks:p

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
davep said:
Why post (asking for advice) at all if you are just going to just ignore all advice given?
Dave, why get so worked up over it?

It's over, and it's not like this is the first (or sadly the last) OP to seek advice specifically so he could ignore it.

I understand your frustration, but you expended too much energy arguing a moot point. In stead of getting so worked up, shrug it off and have a beer instead, or if really ticked off take your bike out and beat up the trails.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
FBinNY said:
Dave, why get so worked up over it?

It's over, and it's not like this is the first (or sadly the last) OP to seek advice specifically so he could ignore it.

I understand your frustration, but you expended too much energy arguing a moot point. In stead of getting so worked up, shrug it off and have a beer instead, or if really ticked off take your bike out and beat up the trails.
Exactly......who cares what people spend their bucks on. Better than crack I say....for the most part.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I am not worked up in any way FB, I just have a tendancy to write long posts sometimes.

Like you, I prefer to bring a level head and actual facts to some of the conversations here. I just hate to see beginers come here and believe something, simply because a poster can e-yell.

If a single poster reads my (or your) post at a later date, and is able to make an informed decision because I was so audacious to add some facts to an otherwise emotionally driven thread....it was well worth the typing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
davep said:
More awesome!!! Have to love the lack of reading comprehension.

The OP specifically asked (on an open public forum) for good and bad points of 'Ti' cassettes. The OP makes a destinction between 'shimano' and 'Ti' cassettes, making it overly obvious that he does not even understand cassette materials and construction. He then questions the (correct) statement about durability (again, a lack of understanding of simple material properties that he could easily verify with a google search).

Multiple clarification questions were asked by several people trying to help, none were answered....no clarification of expectations, or decision parameters provided..only that the OP wanted a 'Ti' rather than 'shimano' cassette.

It was pointed out that Shimano does indeed make 'Ti' cassettes, and thus contrasting 'Ti' with 'shimano' makes no sense what so ever. It was also pointed out by several people that if indeed one was for some reason needing to have a 'Ti' cassette, the proper method for doing so is to use Ti only on the larger cogs with more load spread.

Post three in fact does NOT answer the original question posted. Instead, it points out that the exact same 'Ti' cassette is sold by several vendors, and that 'Nino's' was more $$ for the same part. It answers the question of where to buy a 'Ti' cassete, a question that was never asked.

I could care less how much money people want to spend on bike parts (more the merrier), but it is VERY well understood that in every market, the top end 'botique' products offer the absolute worst bang for the buck (look up 'theory of diminishing returns').
BUT, if you dont want to hear others opinions, dont ASK for it.

The OP clearly does not understand what he is buying or why. He asked for (basic) input, and recieved several ballanced and correct thoughts about titanium cassettes and their shortcommings (as well as clarification questions that he never answered)...yet ignored it all.

You really aren't as smart as you are trying to be. I am fully aware of what cogs on the XTR are Ti. I even have the Yumeya Ti cogs on my current XTR cassette.

I worked in the industry for 3 years back in the mid to late 90's.

I didn't think it was needed to fully explain what I meant by a Ti cassette and that's what every other person in this htread knew exactly what I was talking about.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
davep said:
Like you, I prefer to bring a level head and actual facts to some of the conversations here.
But you didn't. You only poked fun at the OP for buying something out of your perceived "bang for buck" range.

davep said:
I just hate to see beginers come here
Nice generalization, just because someone has a low post-count doesn't mean he/she is a beginner.

davep said:
an otherwise emotionally driven thread....
Driven by people insisting that the OP's money isn't being spent well :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts