Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i did a search and didnt really find what i was loking for (if anyone finds a relevant post please feel free to link it here). What are the best tires for DH and some FR? I have a demo 8 with a blue groove 2.5 in the front, and a nevegal 2.35 in the rear. i want something wider in front and rear. What are some opinions on the nevegals, blue grooves, minions, or michelins? What are u guys running. Thanks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Maxxis are skinnier than Kendas, not familiar with michelins and if you need wider in the front go blue groove 2.7 that ought to give you a good foot print.
I run the same set up and have for over 1.5 years now and love it, I have a set of 2.7's for nasty conditions or brundige (that place eats wheels). And 2.5's for everything else, aside of that I haven't seen much need for wider than that. The days of fat tires for everything are almost at an end, the norm is 2.5's for hucking/dh/fr unless circumstances deem them. IE listed above.
Stick with the Kendas you can't go wrong, I used to run maxxis for 2 years and the nevegal/bluegroove combo is spot on.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I have experience with the minions. they're a really nice tire. a little on the heavy side, but they're fine. grips really well. I love the tire to death, though it cost me quite a lot :(

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
MTBSully said:
Alright i did a search and didnt really find what i was loking for (if anyone finds a relevant post please feel free to link it here). What are the best tires for DH and some FR? I have a demo 8 with a blue groove 2.5 in the front, and a nevegal 2.35 in the rear. i want something wider in front and rear. What are some opinions on the nevegals, blue grooves, minions, or michelins? What are u guys running. Thanks
well.........if you like the blue groove/nevegal combo just go wider like a 2.7 blue groove front and a 2.5 nevegal rear:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

just my 2 cents

·
eci
2,712 Posts
I rock maxxis. I've had a few kendas and tore them all up, got a flat 100 yds into my first run on a 2.5 nevegal. That ended it for me.

CBO, jenson and a few other online companies offer some good specials on maxxis from time to time. I'd pick up some maxxis if you can find a deal. currently i run a minion front and mobster rear. have used high roller rears before but they have a little higher rolling resistance then the mobster or minion rear.

Also wtb timberwolves are pretty rocking front tires. They are def fatter and heavier then minions but great traction

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Maxis Mobsters are on sale at Jenson @ $10 per tire. Shipping is kinda expensive @ $20, because they require a larger box (wire bead, doesn't fold). I'm running a 2.7 (actually @ 2.5-6) grips great. Also have a WTB Timber Wolf, excellent traction, super thick side walls, but also super heavy, and slow rolling, but it sticks like glue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.