Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Noob
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding 95% of the time out at Wilder State Park. Nothing terribly technical out there but lots of hard over loose, sand and moondust. My new bike came with Maxxis Ardent 2.4's front and rear. I thought they were okay on the front, however, I found them to often break loose on the rear during climes. Based on some online searches, I switched to a Dissector 2.4 on the front and a Recon 2.4 on the back. The Recon is a big Improvement on the back and I find it has great traction on the Wilder Trails. I am less happy with the Dissector in the front. I don't know if it's the two channels in between the logs or not but it seems to break loose a little unpredictably in cornering. I'm thinking about what my other options might be. I was considering possibly replacing the Dissector with a another Recon 2.4 in the front. The thing is, historically on my prior bikes, I always ran a grippier tire (bigger lugs) in front. Will I be happy with the Recon/Recon combination for the Wilder trails? What are folks other recommendations in the Maxis range? Again, Wilder is where I will spend most of my time. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am riding 95% of the time out at Wilder State Park. Nothing terribly technical out there but lots of hard over loose, sand and moondust. My new bike came with Maxxis Ardent 2.4's front and rear. I thought they were okay on the front, however, I found them to often break loose on the rear during climes. Based on some online searches, I switched to a Dissector 2.4 on the front and a Recon 2.4 on the back. The Recon is a big Improvement on the back and I find it has great traction on the Wilder Trails. I am less happy with the Dissector in the front. I don't know if it's the two channels in between the logs or not but it seems to break loose a little unpredictably in cornering. I'm thinking about what my other options might be. I was considering possibly replacing the Dissector with a another Recon 2.4 in the front. The thing is, historically on my prior bikes, I always ran a grippier tire (bigger lugs) in front. Will I be happy with the Recon/Recon combination for the Wilder trails? What are folks other recommendations in the Maxis range? Again, Wilder is where I will spend most of my time. Thanks!
Few things, the Dissector was designed mostly as a rear tire, though they do say it can be paired with another up front. I guess my first question would be what pressure do you run front and rear?
I ride a Epic Evo on just about everything in the area, currently running the new Specialzized Ground Control's front and rear, super happy with that setup.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only two advantages that the Recon has over the Dissector is rolling resistances and slight weight difference.
In all other parameters (Traction, Cornering, Braking, Puncture Resistance, Predictability and Confidence) the Dissector is by far a superior tire than the Recon.
IMO going with a Recon in the front and rear will bring you back to almost the same confidence level as Ardent Front and Rear.
I’m very familiar with running Ardent 2.4 on the Front and Rear since it used to be the stock tires on Yeti SB5, which I had as loner bike for about a month wile my previously owned Yeti SB6 was at the shop. I wasn’t a fan of the Ardents on the SB5 just like you. Maybe besides the fact that they rolled really fast.
Dissector and Recon is a good tire combo for Aggressive XC / Light Trail aka Downcountry riding. It’s been a popular combo on some latest Downcountry bikes. And that what comes stock on my current Transition Spur.
I’ve been using the Dissector tires pretty much since they’ve been released and it quickly become one of or even possibly the favorite tire. I just find it to have the best ratio between Rolling Resistance, Traction, Cornering and Weight.
I’ve been using the Dissector as front paired with Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35 on my Transition Spur and it’s on the rear of my Yeti SB130 LR paired with Assegai 2.5 in the front.
I probably would recommend you to stick with your current Dissector as a front, but maybe try to run slightly lower air pressure to gain more traction. I run really low air pressure on all of my wheels, but I also use tire inserts on all of my wheels.
But if you’re looking for more grip in front and want to stick with Maxxis brand, then your next step up over Dissector would be the DHR II 2.4, then DHF 2.5 and Assegai 2.5 which will be the absolute KING of traction, cornering and braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Noob
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few things, the Dissector was designed mostly as a rear tire, though they do say it can be paired with another up front. I guess my first question would be what pressure do you run front and rear?
I ride a Epic Evo on just about everything in the area, currently running the new Specialzized Ground Control's front and rear, super happy with that setup.
As for current pressures, probably high at 25 rear and 23 front. What do you recommend? I don't want to damage my rims.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As for current pressures, probably high at 25 rear and 23 front. What do you recommend? I don't want to damage my rims.
Depends a little based on your weight, riding style etc. I ride my Epic Evo pretty dang hard, between 19-22 up front, 1-2 more in the rear. Before buying new tires, maybe try dropping the pressure 1-1.5psi and see how that treats you. With the low pressures we run on MTB, 1psi is a bigger difference than most think.

Bike setup as well will play a factor, what bike are you riding?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
The problem you are having with the Dissector is that gap. It leaves a vague spot when transitioning from the center to side knobs, but locks in better once leaned over. For many riders, they throw the bike over and never have an issue (I am not one of them and don't like tires that work this way). You can modify your riding to lean the bike over faster and further, or try a tire that doesn't have this characteristic. Alternatives with similar traction that don't have the gap that would be the Rekon, Forekaster, Bontrager XR4/SE4, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, and Vittoria Agarro (there are others also).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’m 185 lbs with no gear.
On my 30mm IW wheels with Dissector 2.4 in the front I’m usually at 16-18 psi with tire insert and 18-20 psi w/o it. On the rear with Rock Razor 2.35 I usually will have about 2 psi more than the front.
On my 25mm IW wheels I’ll have 2-3 psi more than the configuration I use with the 30mm IW wheels.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The problem you are having with the Dissector is that gap. It leaves a vague spot when transitioning from the center to side knobs, but locks in better once leaned over. For many riders, they throw the bike over and never have an issue (I am not one of them and don't like tires that work this way). You can modify your riding to lean the bike over faster and further, or try a tire that doesn't have this characteristic. Alternatives with similar traction that don't have the gap that would be the Rekon, Forekaster, Bontrager XR4/SE4, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, and Vittoria Agarro (there are others also).
I think the Tioga Edge-22 would be great tire for you @Cary

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I’d run a fast rolling “xc-ish” tire in the rear, and a DHF up front. But that’s because I value traction up front over rolling speed. Dissector is best in the rear for most people, I would not trust it up front for aggressive cornering.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If it's a newer bike, try altering your cornering technique to weigh down the front of the bike more. I think modern bikes with longer front-centers and shorter stems corner better if you're centered in the bike and pressing the front tire into the corners. Trying this won't cost you anything to try. If you still don't like it then DHR2, DHF, and Assegai are good alternates as iErnest85 suggested.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I'd run a fast rolling "xc-ish" tire in the rear, and a DHF up front. But that's because I value traction up front over rolling speed. Dissector is best in the rear for most people, I would not trust it up front for aggressive cornering.
If he is having trouble with the gap in the Dissector, he will have trouble with the DHF which has the same gap. Better choices for similar traction without the gap would the WTB Vigilante, Magic Mary, or Vittoria Martello.

If it's a newer bike, try altering your cornering technique to weigh down the front of the bike more. I think modern bikes with longer front-centers and shorter stems corner better if you're centered in the bike and pressing the front tire into the corners. Trying this won't cost you anything to try. If you still don't like it then DHR2, DHF, and Assegai are good alternates as iErnest85 suggested.
It can be really hard to do this reliably when you are used to older geometry bikes. I have to constantly remind myself, and if I get tired or sloppy, bam, there I am in no mans land, trying to pull the bike over, all over the place like a drunk. If this doesn't work for him, the DHF and DHR2 will not help, both have the same design with the gap. The Assegai has transition knobs, so no gap, but is is a really aggressive and slow riding tire for trail use.

Reactions: njdj

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree that some of the recommend tires have that same gap and may not be a good choice, but this is only an issue if the gap is what's causing lack of traction vs technique. I think the cornering lugs are more aggressive on the Minions vs Dissector and will help with cornering bite as well. That's not to say the other recommendations aren't good, but the OP asked for recommendations in the Maxxis range.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you're not going mach chicken, I think Rekon front and rear can work well. I've run Rekon up front for awhile and liked it as much as the DHF - caveat....as long as you are not hitting super steep stuff, and I can't think of anything in Wilder where you'll be cornering super leaned and hard.

Reactions: njdj

·
Noob
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think what I'm going to do is air down the front some and see how that goes. I need to put a few rides on it with less pressure and then I'll decide what I'm going to do. Maybe it's just that I have it too high.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.