Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a tire question, but since most of the full-rigid crowd are on this forum...

What tires give the best cush on a full rigid ride? Tread isn't a huge problem, since I'm not using it for freeriding (in fact, commuting is part of the bike's job description), but I want more cush (from the tires, not the frame or fork).

Recommendations?

Currently using Ritchey Speedmax WCS. Nice and fast, but pretty harsh at 2.0". I'd prefer something bigger - what's the biggest you can go without going crazy heavy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
Big

The largest tire that'll fit in you're frame as long as you can live with the weight. 2.4 Schwalbe RR under 600g or 2.5 Diesel if you can deal with the 720g weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
usr666 said:
Go tubless, it's like having a softtail.
I think my wife would kill me if I got rid of the tub. With three kids who refuse to take showers, we'd be in big trouble!
;^)

Tubeless is a good idea because I run my tire pressure high enough to avoid pinch flats (I got one on a freakin curb the first time I tried running a decently low tire pressure!) Unfortunately, this is a budget bike. I live in the Bronx, and this is the bike I leave locked up outside the store, etc, so I don't put ANYTHING on this frame that isn't cheap enough to replace without a second thought...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Matno said:
I think my wife would kill me if I got rid of the tub. With three kids who refuse to take showers, we'd be in big trouble!
;^)

Tubeless is a good idea because I run my tire pressure high enough to avoid pinch flats (I got one on a freakin curb the first time I tried running a decently low tire pressure!) Unfortunately, this is a budget bike. I live in the Bronx, and this is the bike I leave locked up outside the store, etc, so I don't put ANYTHING on this frame that isn't cheap enough to replace without a second thought...
ah... ya not a good option then, how about a suspension seatpost? or maybe more padding on the buttocks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
usr666 said:
ah... ya not a good option then, how about a suspension seatpost? or maybe more padding on the buttocks?
I'll keep an eye out for a cheap suspension seatpost. That's a good idea.

I'm a skinny guy who has a hard time gaining weight, so more padding on my buttocks isn't going to be easy...
 

·
Formerly DMR For Life
Joined
·
989 Posts
depending on your type of riding...if its mostly cleared streets the maxxis hookworm has great pinch falt resistance...i was running mine at 20psi and i hover around 200#, your other option might be a holy roller for a little bit more bite
DMR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DMR For Life said:
depending on your type of riding...if its mostly cleared streets the maxxis hookworm has great pinch falt resistance...i was running mine at 20psi and i hover around 200#, your other option might be a holy roller for a little bit more bite
DMR
I should mention that I'm a little jaded toward slick tires this year due to an incident in July involving semi-slick tires, a race at Schweitzer ski resort in Idaho, and a broken shoulder). Thus, I'd like something with a LITTLE traction at least. However, since a lot of my riding on this particular bike is paved (Bronx pavement, which would be considered a rock garden in many places, but paved nonetheless...), I'd like lower rolling resistance. I'm willing to accept a little bit slower tires though, in exchange for cornering ability off-road. I was actually impressed with the smooth, fast rolling on pavement of some Bontrager Jones tires I rode a couple of times this summer. They weren't big enough, but surprisingly smooth for such widely spaced knobs.

On the bright side (and in other news), I just picked up a Bontrager Race front wheel in great condition for $2 on eBay. Can't beat that! (Except that now I REALLY have to replace the clunker 36 spoke wheel I have on the rear).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top