Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Xterra event coming up this month, I just checked the video out on youtube:

this course looks super rocky I currently use standard tube tires (not tubeless) with Michelin XCR tires 26 2.0 these work great for most of the trails local to me which are not rocky,

anything you guys and gals prefer for rocky rides ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the Kenda Nevegal or Blue Groove is an awesome tire. I'm sure you'll get other recommendations though. I have a friend who did 82 races in one year (combination of mtb, road, cross), and he swears by the Nevegal. Won't run anything else.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
A high volume tubeless tire with stans.

If you are racing X-terra (or XC) you want something that rolls really well. It is definately worth comprimising some grip for rolling. The tubeless maxis Crossmark is a good bet.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
LMN said:
A high volume tubeless tire with stans.

If you are racing X-terra (or XC) you want something that rolls really well. It is definately worth comprimising some grip for rolling. The tubeless maxis Crossmark is a good bet.
I agree that the most important characteristic to look for is high volume.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Pinball

High Volume on any tire in a rock garden or such only makes you pinball all over the place. Unless you have great skills and strong arms to make corrections, it will be an exhaustive ride.

Nevagals or Blue Grooves are on my DH and XC. I run mid pressure on 30 -35. I get great traction which inturn keeps my momentum high. I won Nationals last year even in the mud with this combo.
Good Luck.

·
Twin Six METAL
434 Posts
Nevegals are great training tires, but for racing, leave them home. Nevegals have terrible rolling resistance and are heavy. My personal choice for the really rocky courses, as long as they're mostly dry, are Stan's The Crow with Stan's sealant. Run at the right pressure (you need to find that for yourself, based on weight and riding style) these tires are amazing!

Those of you racing Nevegals, what category are you racing in and how are you doing?

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Mtnz2Sea said:
High Volume on any tire in a rock garden or such only makes you pinball all over the place. Unless you have great skills and strong arms to make corrections, it will be an exhaustive ride.

Nevagals or Blue Grooves are on my DH and XC. I run mid pressure on 30 -35. I get great traction which inturn keeps my momentum high. I won Nationals last year even in the mud with this combo.
Good Luck.
What are you talking about? High volume gives more room for tire to absorb shock, allowing better control in really rough conditions. The trick is to run less pressure then what you run in a skinny tire. ie. I have on my bike 1.8 dread treads which I run at 32 psi, when I use 2.1 tubeless cross marks I run 24 psi.

Nevagals are great tires but you would be insame to run them in an XC race. They are way too slow. I love Kenda's but in really rocky conditions the sidewall are too thin and they slice. Their tubeless tire don't work as well as their non-tubeless, they are really heavy (even for tubeless tires), and the rubber is too hard.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Give me a light tubeless high volumn fast rolling setup every time for rocks(remember this is the XC race forum). 2.0 Karma. Python Airlite. etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.