Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I live and ride in Mammoth Lakes, Ca (mammoth mountain bike park) and just got my hands on a 2013 Norco Truax 2. Im going to be riding the bike park a lot as well as trails in and around town. The terrain up here is pretty loose with some hardpack and a LOT of pumice (kitty litter). Wanted to know what tires have worked best in the conditions of mammoth for you guys and what you prefer and why (also, different compounds and widths). Many people say they like nevegals (currently running 2.35 stick-e) but im not that into them, and the mountain runs minion dhf's on their dh rentals which i have ridden previously and really enjoyed. Running a sun inferno 29 rim (23mm inner, 29mm outer)
Thank you for the input!

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
I think you answered your own question in saying the local bike park runs Minion DHFs on their rental fleet. I'd suggest either Minions or High Roller 2s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you answered your own question in saying the local bike park runs Minion DHFs on their rental fleet. I'd suggest either Minions or High Roller 2s.

Haha i kind of realized that, but wanted to know about different options as well as different experiences with the tire preffered. definitely leaning towards DHFs, havent heard much good about the HR2 but it looks like a great tire. any experience with this one either? Also, unsure of tire width since i hear that minions run small. something like the 2.5=2.35 nevegal? and if so, is the 2.7 around 2.5? runnin 180mm travel f/r.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
The HR2 runs pretty true to size, the Minions are a little small. For comparison 2.4 HR2 = 62mm, 2.5 Minion DHF = 59mm. I like them both as tyres, the Minions roll a little better, the HR2 are better on hardpack and for braking, would like to try a Minion DHR2 on the back as the Minion DHF is a superb front end tyre (and not shabby on the rear).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any experience with either of those tires (DHF or HR2) at mammoth or similar conditions? Ive heard both perform well on hardpack, but what about when it gets real loose in the corners with pumice and what not? I also have read that the HR2 is very similar to the DHF in overall feel such as cornering and technical riding, but just go about it at different ways, but no one seems to want to share the specifics of the differences lol.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
I've not ridden Mammoth so don't know the conditions there. My experience is from riding Whistler (and all over trails here in New Zealand) on both. I'd take the Minion for everything except hardpack where I like the braking performance of the HR2 better. In loose conditions and pumice the Minion really comes in to its own but the HR2 is good too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info man youve been incredibly helpful, spoke with one of the main techs at my lbs (footloose) today, and he said that the minion DHF and HR2 perform somewhat equally but in different ways also, but elaborated more on why he 'preferred' the HR2 in the conditions of mammoth. He said he ran HRs and HR2s on most of his bikes. He said it was the tire thats "not so good for anything, but good for everything". a little confusing but i think i get it haha, but also included that it performed very well in the loose up here, and braked and cornered very smooth. I think I will first try a pair of HR2s in the st compound, seems like a great option for the terrain up here. He then recommended running minion dhf and dhr, due to how to rear drifts very smoothly and the way the dhf tracks.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
The Minion DHF tracks like no other especially in the ST compound! Minion DHF front and HR2 rear is a combo I've seen a bit here too.

If I was only riding gravity assisted and didn't care about rolling resistance, I'd be on the HR2 both ends I think, a very versatile tyre as your LBS guy says and quite predictable handling on the limit too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the DHF front and HR2 combo sounds rad also. Ill be using the tire to ride around on some xc trails with the gf and around town as well, but I am definitely more into the tire performing best on the dh/fr as I am fairly new to the sport and am trying to step up my riding and gain more confidence. Hopefully the bike park will have quite a few trails open by the end of the month!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts