Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ride On!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year of being serious about riding. Got my bike last December and have been riding Granite Bay, Salmon Falls & some Auburn trails. Currently I am running WTB Wolverines 26 x 2.2 on both front and rear. They have performed well to date, but have noticed that with things getting a bit sandier as the hotter weather is back I am losing traction in the turns.

Any thoughts on what the good setup is for the area?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
It's a tall order to find a tire that works great for GB and Auburn. The Wolverine is a great choice. A lot of my friends run that tire (same riding areas).
When GB gets sandy and loose, few tires are going to not slip in the sand.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I ride the same trails all the time as well, I have been using the Specialized Purgatory 29 2.3 up front and the captain 2.2 in the rear have been working really well for me.

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts
Perhaps you could go a little knob bier and go with a weir wolf or a Bronson. I like to run a Bronson up front with a weir wolf in back.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I like butcher/ground control, Purg/ground control, butcher/ardent (2.25 model)

The butcher is probably overkill but it rolls just as well as the Purg but with more grip so I don't see why not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had decent luck with my Geax Mezcal in 26x2.3 front and back at GB. I run them at 30 psi and so far these have had the best traction when climbing out of any of the other tires I've tried over the years out there. In a few weeks as it dries out more not much will work well out there but this is the latest in the season I've had a tire still climb well on the loose over hard pack out there. Haven't tried them in Auburn yet.

·
Ride On!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to Auburn today (Clementine,Culvert,Confluence) and the Wolverines held up well, will have to go back and do some more laps on Culvert, loads of fun.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm having great results from Maxxis Ikons 2.20 exc/3c/exo tires front and back at said places. Haven't been to salmon falls with the Ikons but I'm sure they will hold up great there. I have also had great results from Bontrager 29-1 2.20 and Panaracer Driver Pro 2.20. Even with their low knobbies they sure grip pretty good until you hit the sand pits.

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Perhaps you could go a little knob bier and go with a weir wolf or a Bronson. I like to run a Bronson up front with a weir wolf in back.
+1 on this setup. Most of my riding is out at Granite Bay. I was running a 2.3 Bronson front and a 2.1 Weirwolf rear on a drop bar full-rigid I had. It was a good combination, very predictable in turns. I agree with Brewtality on he slipping in sand...nothing will work well in the sandpits that develop at the bottom of runs and (it seems) at the apex of every turn out in Granite Bay when the trail gets pulverized by trail use. Perhaps a fatbike would do well?

I also ran 2.1 Weirwolf tires front and rear on my old school '97 GT LTS out there. Predictable in turns, hooked well enough on climbs, and dealt well with the granite sections and babyheads.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've been happy with the following during recent years at ASRA:

Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29x2.35 (Definitely my favorite)
Specialized Purgatory 29x2.2
Specialized Captain 29x2.0

·
Registered
218 Posts
try the '14 model rocket ron 29x2.25 with protection. You won't regret it...

(until a month or two when you have to buy a new rear)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Working on technique and fundamentals will get you far better results than rubber considering you are new to riding already have a decent set up.

Nothing grips 'good' in the sand save for a fat bike maybe. Id recommend a Weirwolf in the front (and/or rear but they wear kinda qwik out back) regardless of riding location, or better yet a Vigilante if a lil more rolling resistance don't bother ya

Edit: I've run a few Wolverines on the rear and liked em, but would doubt their effectiveness as a front tire based on those experiences; they seem too drifty, especially under braking, for me to mount one on up front... . 02

·
Registered
89 Posts
Before you go dropping money on rubber. What kind of pressures are you running? And are you running tubeless? Seems like a lot of newer guys always run a ton of air.

I ride the same trails often and my setup: Hans front/ Ralph rear 22F and 27R works pretty damn well considering the beach (GB) conditions.

·
Ride On!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before you go dropping money on rubber. What kind of pressures are you running? And are you running tubeless? Seems like a lot of newer guys always run a ton of air.

I ride the same trails often and my setup: Hans front/ Ralph rear 22F and 27R works pretty damn well considering the beach (GB) conditions.
Running 30 on both front and rear, still got some tread to wear out. i'll try to play with the pressures a bit and see how it goes

·
fRIDEday makes me happy!
902 Posts
Ok, 30 psi but tubeless? I currently run and have run your tires and they are great but the window is present for performance. I do not run them in the front and prefer the Mutano (same trails as you). Low rolling resistance and really holds the front of the bike in the corners. The wolvs will start to wash out this time of year especially if you have some miles on them. I suggest taking the best shape wolv and putting it in the back and getting some grip up front. Keep in mind rolling resistance does have a price and for me the mutano covers both just enough.

Rubber talk done this is the time of year when you remember that it gets really dry and squirmy. Hero dirt is now choking dust and that is all good but the tacky trail that you hit three weeks ago will not be around. Cornering has a lot to do with technique as I am sure you know. I remember a vid posted on MTBR a year or so ago with great advice on body posture. It has improved my cornering.

·
Ride On!
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, running with tubes for now, set of new wheels is on the to get gear list. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I am a clyde weighing in at 240lbs

·
I dig trails!
5,580 Posts
Kenda Small Block 8's do really well at Granite Bay when it dries out at there is sugar sand on top of hard.

IMHO, they are are the best tire for GB. 2.35 for the win. But they will be a bit of a handful at Auburn.

The works-well-at-GB-and-anywhere-else is a difficult combo. One I've been searching for years to find.

I think I've finally found it, in a no-longer-made WTB Prowler 2.3 front and WTB Wolverine 2.2 rear.

The key is lots of knobs and lots of sipes on those knobs.

P

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Panaracer Rampage in 26 or 29. Pacenti Neo Moto if you're on a 650B
Second the Neo Moto's. Great tire for Gbay. I have also run the WTB Wolverines and I liked them but not as secure Neo's.

Here's my three setup's I run at Granite -

2.3 NeoMoto's Roll Well, Good grip. Good all around tire.
2.2 WTB Wolverines (Single compound) Roll really well, grips well but not as well as the NeoMoto's.
2.35 Nevegal DTC -Super Grippy, as in ridiculously awesome grippy.. Holy heck do these roll SLOW. When I want to play on the rock features at Gbay though these tires are super fun and confident.

I'm currently running the NeoMoto's on my 650B hardtail and enjoying being back on them for Gbay etc. I wore out the 2.2 Single Compound Wolvs but have a pair of Dual DNA's to replace the Neo's. Looking forward to seeing if they can bridge the grip gap to the Neo's. I doubt anything can approac the Nev's grip.

Also agree with Mr.P about the Prowlers, I have a pair on my Tandem and they do well all around as well, but I have never run those on a single bike so can't comment there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I haven't ridden Auburn, but if the conditions are dry and loose/dusty, I highly, highly recommend the new Michelin Wild Rock'r 2 Advanced Reinforced tires (MICHELIN Wild Rock'R² Advanced Reinforced - Tires vtt | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States - Bike-website). I just got these, and they make my old Butcher and Purgatory tires feel like garbage.

The Magi'x compound for the front tire is 50 durometer, which I believe is the softest tire on the market. It's almost too grippy - it spits pebbles and crap all over the frame and your face, it's that grippy. The rear tire is a bit harder, but still insanely grippy.

These aren't the fastest rolling tires in the world, since they're purpose-built for enduro, and thus something like a Small Block 8 is going to roll a lot faster. But, seriously, if you want grip, I think these are the best tires on the market right now.

I run front and rear at 25 psi, and they work well on everything from hard pack to loose fire roads to extremely technical rock gardens and big drops (no burping, stable and predictable all the way to edge).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts