Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, what are riders favorite tires for tight east coast singletrack...here in PA its mostly wet trail conditions with lots of slippery roots and rocks with mud mixed in...(except for the dry summer months later on).....most rock gardens get tracked up with mud on group rides plus when you mix a little water on the lichen coated rocks they get really slick...we have everything from small loose rocks to big boulder sized rocks...most trails here are a bit slower and alot of riders don't even have a big ring on their cranks...did i mention we have alot of rocks......

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Sounds like my trails! :thumbsup:

I use Hutchinson Barracuda UST 2.3 MRC Medium these days (well, not right now, it's finally winter up here). They grip a lot on rocks, roots, wet, no problems. They also corner like champs! Great tread pattern and the relativeley soft/sticky rubber are great in east coast conditions. They are not very light though, about 900grams each I think.

·
My little friends
714 Posts
I've been running WTB Velociraptors for quite a few years on several bikes with trail conditions similar to what you described here in Maryland. I switched brands to try others, but none would give me the stability in turns that the Velocirapters have. I very rarely wash out on muddy cornersor roots, and they clear nicely. They come in wire or folding Kevlar beads, and a rather inexpensive.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
462 Posts
WTB Velociraptors a good, but a little on the heavy side. IRC Mythos XC perform as well without as much weight penalty.

edit: $12.98 at performance bike http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12463

My brother runs IRC Serac and it seems to be fine also.

Other recommendations:
Panaracer Fire XC
Kenda Nevegal

I think for the east, especially the mid Atlantic region you want something with good knobs that are spaced out enough to let the mud fall off when it get's wet and enough grip to climb the tough hills.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sounds like the conditions here in Boston. The trails I ride most are not very quick but are very rocky and steep. They're always some slippery spots with moss and roots. Traction and toughness is key. I've been through a number of tires and this is what I found.

Conti Vert or Survivor 2.3 - Nice traction. Very light. Terrible durability. 5 flats in my first ride. Runs very small. Ended up returning them after 5 rides.
Hutchinson Tires - I have lots of problems with Hutch tires lasting more then a week or so w/o flatting. I've done the Spyder 2.3's, Mosquito 2.1, Python 2.1. The traction has always been decent but I can't keep from flatting with them.
Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25 UST - Really good traction in most conditions. Good weight and durability. Way too expensive.
Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST - Very tough big tire. Traction is pretty good in the dry. Not the best in the wet.
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC - Amazing traction in the rear. Not very durable. I have to use DH tubes to run them but I'm addicted to the traction. Not the fasted rolling tire on faster trails.
Kenda BG 2.35 Stick-e - Amazing traction in the front. The stick-e sticks to everything. It's actually lasted longer than I thought it would. Not durable enough as I've flatted them several times. I'm using DH tubes on this as well.
Tioga Factory DH 2.3 - Very tough tire, toughest I've ever ridden. Very heavy. Traction is average. Not my favorite tire.

Keep in mind I'm riding a 5.5x5 trail bike that has a pretty heavy build aimed at durability instead of weight savings. I do 4' to 5' drops occasionally and I don't shy away from the big stuff. I'm very hard on my equipment.

Overall my favorite tires have been the Kenda Nevegal/BG combo 2.35 because of the amazing traction. I'm not siked about having to run DH tubes on them but the ability to climb things that I couldn't climb with other tires is hard for me to pass up. Some tires I'd love to try are the Schwalbe Big Betty's and Fat Alberts. They're just way too expensive.

Cheers!
Tires that I'm interested in trying Big Betty 2.4, Fat Albert 2.35

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Sounds like my trails! :thumbsup:

I use Hutchinson Barracuda UST 2.3 MRC Medium these days (well, not right now, it's finally winter up here). They grip a lot on rocks, roots, wet, no problems. They also corner like champs! Great tread pattern and the relativeley soft/sticky rubber are great in east coast conditions. They are not very light though, about 900grams each I think.
Do they clear mud well?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
fsrxc said:
Do they clear mud well?
Depends what type of mud. On my regular trails, they never gave me problems. The area between the cornering knobs and the center knobs is pretty open so that's not a problem, the center knobs can sometimes clog up with sticky mud but not much. I have been to one area where they didn't clear mud too well but I have never seen a tire clear mud well there, it's super sticky mud!

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Schwalbe Fat Albert or Albert. These tires clean out mud very well. They corner, climb, and roll great. It does not get wetter and rootier than where I am. I used to run nevegal stick-e because they stuck to everything. The sidewalls never lasted very long. When I switched, I was concerned with slipping. Schwalbe really has their stuff together folks. I am running a front only Fat Albert and an Albert in the rear on my 4x and could not be happier. Worth every penny IMHO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nevegal dual compound stickies are everywhere I look here in Maine. They have different models for your preferences. Personally, I ride Bontrager XR 2.2 + 2.25, 29er btw, they hook up great for a semislick, tolerate abuse on babyheads, run off camber, hooking up on roots, very light too. Good Luck

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Kenda Klaw XT's work great. I just got them for my 29er here in NJ (similar conditions to PA) and they've been nice so far. I had Velociraptors on my old 26er hardtail and they worked well too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.