Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a bullit that in its current setup is freeride orientated. I'm looking at making it lighter so it's more bearable for those XC days. I posted in a different thred( http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91686 ) and someone recomended
Hope Bulbs on Sun Singletrack DB spokes/ Brass Nipples: ~$430
Other lower cost options:
Single Track on DT Onyx w/ 20mm Front ~$365
Mavic XM321 on DT Onyx w/ 20mm Front ~$370

Maxxis Hansventure 26 x 2.35 Single Ply x2 ~$60

I live in florida and generally ride trails that are not very muddy or soggy but have a tendency to be a little slippery with fallen leaves. I was hoping you people could recomend a good tire as well as a wheel to put them on. I'm sorta a noob when it comes to this stuff so if you need any more information on the kind of riding I will be doing, just let me know.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
IMHO you are going to get more of a noticable difference from tires with lower rolling resistance than saving 100-200grams in wheels or tires. It can be worth an gear on a climb.

The HansVentures are supposed to be efficient rollers. I'll be trying mine out this next weekend on the rear wheel.

This is another thread going on right now about tires with low rolling resistance.

Mr. P

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
BG/Nevegal 2.35 or 2.5 is a good combo, but I can't say for sure they are the best choice for wet leaves.

NBX 2.3 - a little more spiky than BG, skinnier than a real 2.3, but a decent all rounder.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Crossmax Enduro's ($400-$500) and Hutchinson UST Spiders 2.30 front and rear. I have done some riding around central florida (mostly W Orlando) and you have barely any hills lost of slippery roots (Live-Oak and Cypress) and leaves and tons of sandy trails. The big spiders roll well on hard-pack (particularly the UST's) and float really well in sand and are very surefooted on slipery roots (even off camber) and leaves. If you stay of the really gnarly trails than you could drop to the spider 2.10 in the rear (or even run the 2.10's front and rear) The Crossmax Enduro's are a 1800g light UST wheelset that is stiff, durable, very reliable and (relativity) inexpensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.