Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own 3 mountain bikes. 1 HT and 2 FS. I want to turn my HT into a street bike to ride during the summer at my summer home. I will be riding 85% on blacktop and 15% on dirt roads. I know a Cyclocross or Road Bike would make more sense but I don't want to shell out anymore cash on bikes. My HT bike is a Ventana El Padrino and I love how it rides. I will put a lot of enjoyable miles on it riding this summer on the road. So my question is any suggestions on a good road tire for the bike for blacktop? I am currently looking at the Schwalbe Super Moto HS 430 or the Hurricane HS 352? I will be running them tubeless on Stans Arch rims. Again I know overkill but I don't want to buy a new bike.

My other 2 bikes are an Ibis Ripley and a Ventana El Bastardo so I have no problem turning my HT into a road ride.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Kenda Small Block 8 Cyclocross tire 700c x 32 is fast on pavement....and doubles on light dirt just as well. Here is my 19-pound grocery getter(2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, with Vittoria Rubino Pro 700c x 25 tires, Magura hydro brakes, full SRAM X0 2x9 gearing):

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you are really looking for a fast street tire I would look for a tire with a psi rating in the 100 PSI range (I believe the Big Apple has a max of 70 psi or so and is more of a comfort tire). Assuming you don't have a very wide inner profile on your 29er wheelset pretty much any road bike tire greater than 28 - 30 C will work fine. Plenty of choices out there between Conti, Schwalbe, Michelin etc. There are some 29er specific slicks out there but they tend to be on the wider side / not quite as fast.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
If you are really looking for a fast street tire I would look for a tire with a psi rating in the 100 PSI range (I believe the Big Apple has a max of 70 psi or so and is more of a comfort tire). Assuming you don't have a very wide inner profile on your 29er wheelset pretty much any road bike tire greater than 28 - 30 C will work fine. Plenty of choices out there between Conti, Schwalbe, Michelin etc. There are some 29er specific slicks out there but they tend to be on the wider side / not quite as fast.
Before doing this ^ read the label on your rim or go to Stan's website.
No wonder everyone's confused about wheel size. It has all been marketing, a 29er is a 700c rim with a BSD of 622mm, which has been the industry cycling standard for years. What better way to reinvent something than by giving it a new name.

If you've not tried the Big Apple you're missing out on the fun, I use a set of 2.35's (@ +/- 35 PSI) for riding bike paths when trails are too wet. They're surprisingly fast, and will again make you feel like a kid who doesn't worry about curbs & potholes, or dirt.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before doing this ^ read the label on your rim or go to Stan's website.
No wonder everyone's confused about wheel size. It has all been marketing, a 29er is a 700c rim with a BSD of 622mm, which has been the industry cycling standard for years. What better way to reinvent something than by giving it a new name.

If you've not tried the Big Apple you're missing out on the fun, I use a set of 2.35's (@ +/- 35 PSI) for riding bike paths when trails are too wet. They're surprisingly fast, and will again make you feel like a kid who doesn't worry about curbs & potholes, or dirt.
Yeah they look like great tires just wish they ran tubeless.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going fast isn't a priority. I'd take comfort over speed.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Can we just make this a sticky or something? And move it to the components section.

29er = 700c = 622 BSD. Buy any road tire that's wider than your rim.

Sorry, feeling grumpy right now.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A guy at work has the schwalbe supermotos on his 29er, they are a lighter version of the big apple and a couple other changes.

I really like the halo twin rails. I have a set in 26".

Im trying to find a set of halo twin rail white walls in 29ers and not pay $70 shipping.

The halos say 80 psi max road only, 50psi dirt.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A guy at work has the schwalbe supermotos on his 29er, they are a lighter version of the big apple and a couple other changes.

I really like the halo twin rails. I have a set in 26".

Im trying to find a set of halo twin rail white walls in 29ers and not pay $70 shipping.

The halos say 80 psi max road only, 50psi dirt.

Near as I can tell the 29rs have been discontinued. :(

·
Banned
266 Posts
Double check Stans website, but I think their rims have a maximum psi rating. Rim failure wouldn't be fun.

Stick to mtn bike tires. Maxxis crossmarks roll fast on pavement at 40 psi. Wear well also. I couldn't bring myself to putting skinny road tires on such a nice mtn bike. It's a bike at a second home. Being ridden to the store for a six pack or staring at the neighbor as she works in a flower bed. Not like your going to be chasing any KOM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts