Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a commuter tire for my ONE-SPEED HARD TAIL MTB that will work well on rough roadways. Lots of scoria (pea gravel) left on the roads after the snow melts. Some rain and dirt. Durability and tread a plus. Not interested in a slick.

Other questions:
1. Advantages/disadvantages of 1.25, 1.5 or 1.75 width for commuting?
2. Kevlar or wire bead?

I've heard some people swear by conti T&C's, others by avocet cross'. Lot's of options out there. Help me wade through them all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I use

gard_nerd said:
Looking for a commuter tire for my ONE-SPEED HARD TAIL MTB that will work well on rough roadways. Lots of scoria (pea gravel) left on the roads after the snow melts. Some rain and dirt. Durability and tread a plus. Not interested in a slick.

Other questions:
2. Kevlar or wire bead?

I've heard some people swear by conti T&C's, others by avocet cross'. Lot's of options out there. Help me wade through them all.

Thanks!
a tire made by panaracer called the tserv for messenger. There pretty bulletproof and wear well..

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
I got a pair of Nokians for my commuter recently...AWS (all weather slick). They are 2.0's....with little sunshines, clouds, and lightning bolts in the treads! The cool thing is they have 3M reflexite on the side walls. When car lights hit them they light up like you wouldn't believe, which is great for me cuz I commute at 5 a.m. in the pitch dark.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,420 Posts
gard_nerd said:

Other questions:
2. Kevlar or wire bead?

Thanks!
Not intersted in a slick? Aren't the Town and Country and Crosses slicks? I dunno, I consider inverted tread to be slicks. Anyway, yes, these are both great tires, got the T&C's on my commuter, used to have the Avocets on my touring bike. Both should feel your needs. Narrower tires will be faster, wider tires can be run at lower pressures for rough roads, 1.75's will probably be a good fit for you, too many pinch flats on narrow 1.25 tires.

Also, if rolling speed isn't an issue for you, you could always use those knobbies with the worn out tread for street use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts