Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have opinions and experience on what tire works well on frozen dirt that is bumpy and choppy as heck from all the frozen tracks from bikes, hikers, critters and what not? Very little snow or ice involved yet.....maybe a wiff or two here and there....but the trails are now frozen solid and we are allowed to ride on them without destroying anything.

thanks

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
SingingSingleTracker said:
Anybody have opinions and experience on what tire works well on frozen dirt that is bumpy and choppy as heck from all the frozen tracks from bikes, hikers, critters and what not?
That describes my terrain for about 3 months a year (except this year, where the fozen white stuff is accumulating in great abundance). In my experience, anything works well on that -- it's a grippy a surface as there is. Knobs are really irrelevant -- kind of like on granite -- as they don't bit into the ground. What you want is the ground to bite into the tire, that's when things hook up the best. Nanoraptors have worked well for me.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
high volume, low psi!!

i agree with PeT that knobs become irrelavent, but for me the nano's just don't have the volume. i'm liking my rampages right now...

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
My Mythos XC IIs have been pretty good in this stuff so far, but definitely run them lower pressure than usual. They get a bit sketchy on the ice, but what doesn't?

The nice thing about it is, it's FAST.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Sounds like a good application for the WeirWolf Low Tread. Biggest volume tire we have going, should be grippy enough for the conditions, and has the best chance of floating on top of whatever snow you do get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.