Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using Exiwolf's(2.3) on front and back on my G.F. Paragon. Then started slipping and sliding when it got wet out on the trails. I now have a Bontragre XDX(2.1) on the front and a Michelin AT(2.00) on the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Depends on the bike and type of riding (lots of climbing, racing, descending, xc, am, dh?). It's tough to beat the Minion DHF Super Tacky for all around grip, wet or dry. It would be too heavy for xc and racing in my opinion, but for dh or even am it could be the ticket. Next tires I'm trying are the new Continentals, Der Kaiser for DH and Rubber Queen for am.
 

·
Rider and Wrench
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
godfather said:
Depends on the bike and type of riding (lots of climbing, racing, descending, xc, am, dh?). It's tough to beat the Minion DHF Super Tacky for all around grip, wet or dry. It would be too heavy for xc and racing in my opinion, but for dh or even am it could be the ticket. Next tires I'm trying are the new Continentals, Der Kaiser for DH and Rubber Queen for am.
You may need very strong tire levers to install the Minions, Conti Der Kaiser or Rubber Queens on the 29" Rims....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
:D I've been bouncing around between different forums today. I guess I thought I was on the Wheels and Tires forum when I replied to the thread. My bad, but on a 26" rim they are sweet!
 

·
holy schfincter..
Joined
·
158 Posts
I've been using Bonty XR 2.2 rear, ACX 2.2 front for all around riding and this combo works well on rocks and roots in the midwest. the front can get a bit sketchy on wet rocks/roots, but the XR works very well as a rear tire. Not uber light (600-660 g) but they do the job well.
 

·
Rider and Wrench
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
godfather said:
:D I've been bouncing around between different forums today. I guess I thought I was on the Wheels and Tires forum when I replied to the thread. My bad, but on a 26" rim they are sweet!
No worries, were all human here... I just got a kick out of it...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing alot of XC riding in the Northeast. I'm gonna try a Stout in the front, and the Bonty in the back, especially for this Fall with the cold and wet... Thanks everyone...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
I don't think there is a better tire as far a grip than the Nevegals but they want do anything positive for you RR and they are heavy. And if you are a plow-er like me, get ready for some pinch flats.
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
CB2 said:
When it gets wet, I'll either use Ignitors f/r, or Ignitor (r), Nevegal (f) depending on how rough the course is.
FWIW, I'm having problems with the front Ignitor on my bike washing out. Last time out, veering over to share the trail with oncoming traffic put me on my butt thanks to damp grass.

The rear sticks like glue though.
 

·
Life is Go0d!
Joined
·
891 Posts
There are no tires that grip on wet rocks, roots, etc. It comes down to the rider in those conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
mo0se said:
There are no tires that grip on wet rocks, roots, etc. It comes down to the rider in those conditions.

So true: but some tires are better than others in wet. IMO stay away from Crosmarks, Ignites, XDX, and all Schwalbes if it's wet. Nevegal stick-e is much better in the wet and the Maxxis Ardent is OK if you're tubeless and run low pressure. But as Moose said, riding in the wet puts a lot of pressure on the rider no matter what tire you run.

Choose your line carefully...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
The guys at my local LBS just set me up with a 2.4 mountain king up front, and a 2.2 mountain king in the rear on my 29er FSR Expert. does this sound like a good combo? Previously I've run 2.2 Mountain Kings with Black Chili & Protection sidewalls on my 26" FSR XC.
 

·
Waiting for Godot
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
mo0se said:
There are no tires that grip on wet rocks, roots, etc. It comes down to the rider in those conditions.

amen to that!!

but with more size and better knobby shape some are better. i like the rampage over the nevegal just because it is slightly wider. at lower psi it can grip on wet stuff and is a tough tire.

the ird firepro is super knobby and can hookup on wet stuff, but sometimes it works to your disadvantage on slick roots.

the michelin at xc is a great all around performer that will work at lower psi on wet.


racing ralphs 2.4 feel like a slick in the wet even at low psi

furious freds are slicks.

weirwolfs are not half bad at lower psi, i am having good results on my SS. at higher psi forget it.


all the contiental tires didn't work for me in any wet situation.


i will try the geax barro race folding tire and the bigger maxis ardent next, but they are dry tires so not seeing it working in the wet.


all these opinions are "IMO" on wet roots/rock and slick stuff(not mud), you might have varying millage, i weight 155lbs, 5'10", riding on vassago rigid/hartail, jet9, access SS hardtail.
 

·
Live Life, Ride a Bike!
Joined
·
254 Posts
xmangox said:
The guys at my local LBS just set me up with a 2.4 mountain king up front, and a 2.2 mountain king in the rear on my 29er FSR Expert. does this sound like a good combo? Previously I've run 2.2 Mountain Kings with Black Chili & Protection sidewalls on my 26" FSR XC.
This is the combo I am running currently on my SS HT and so far the front has done me well in the dry, the rear I am still in up in the air about, but I havent ridden the combo in any wet conditions yet but will be soon as the weather changes. I have a few slips here and there on the rear in loose over hard conditions and washed out the front on a few occasions but it recovers very quickly with minimal effort. I am tubeless up front and tubed in the rear. Once I get my new rim tape ill be tubeless in back as well and will give more feedback.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
247 said:
Doing alot of XC riding in the Northeast. I'm gonna try a Stout in the front, and the Bonty in the back, especially for this Fall with the cold and wet... Thanks everyone...

be careful with the stout if it's really cold. or any tire with really soft rubber for that matter. they stiffen up quite a bit and become slippery. i'm talking <20* F here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
247 said:
I now have a Bontragre XDX(2.1) on the front
XDX on slightly damp roots - and it feels like someone came along and greased them all :madman:

add that to feeling a little off (i.e. sloppy with picking lines, overreacting with the brakes) = bad day on the bike --- of course its still better then any day off the bike. :D

of course my entire experience on a 29er is on these tires

as long as its dry I have little complaint with the tires

Sounds like best choice to try would be Rampage F Ignitor R
 

·
otb member
Joined
·
330 Posts
UnitedWeRide said:
This is the combo I am running currently on my SS HT and so far the front has done me well in the dry, the rear I am still in up in the air about, but I havent ridden the combo in any wet conditions yet but will be soon as the weather changes. I have a few slips here and there on the rear in loose over hard conditions and washed out the front on a few occasions but it recovers very quickly with minimal effort. I am tubeless up front and tubed in the rear. Once I get my new rim tape ill be tubeless in back as well and will give more feedback.
I run the MK 2.4 on the front of my RIP9. Love that in the front. Replaced a Rampage. Liked that too I guess.

Tubeless on Stans ZTRs front and back.

Ran a Rampage in the back until I tore it up running too little pressure. Just put a small block 8 on the back that I'll probably run through the rest of the dry season. Love the speed of the small block, but not getting the traction I got from the rampage on technical rock climbs and real loose dirt. Going to try to turn it around so the ramps face backward. Cost a little bit of rolling resistance but might get to the traction I like.

BTW - I've got 2 never used 29x2.2 Conti MKs. I'm not going to use them. Want to trade me for something else? I'll need a wet weather rear.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top