Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a new XO 2x10 for a bike I purchased new in Jan of this year. I have about 400 miles on the current drivetrain and I'm a pretty light-duty rider, mostly XC stuff. I'm just getting opinions about when the best time would be to throw this new crank on in order to maximize wear efficiency and prevent chain slippage or poor shifts. My initial thought is to wait until the current chain is worn enough for replacement (.75 in my book) but the cassette would still be viable.

The current cassette is a PG-1030 and I may just wanna junk that too when the chain is hosed in favor of a 1070 or the Shimano equivalent to save a little weight and be nicer to my freehub. I guess another obvious question is, am I too late for the existing drivetrain?

Sent from the trails.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You could wait to either the chain needs replacing or the chainrings go bad but that could be awhile if you're "light duty rider." Personally the second I get a new/better part its going on the bike asap!

·
On wuss patrol
5,049 Posts
I usually work on my bikes in the evening, between the hours of 5 and 9. So, I think that's the best time to install a new crank.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I generally install cranks before I ride. That way I don't get out there and wonder if something is missing and have to spend the entire time doing a flintstones impersonation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts