Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the parking lots fill up early and its allot easier to find parking later in the day. Or is it just because its early in the season? I have been road riding or riding to the park from home to avoid having to find parking the last few weeks.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,020 Posts
It seems like the parking lots fill up early and its allot easier to find parking later in the day. Or is it just because its early in the season? I have been road riding or riding to the park from home to avoid having to find parking the last few weeks.
Unfortunately it is an all day all season problem on the weekends there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I usually park in BS trailhead and ride to either trail heads, to get an extra warm up and less cars. Though it's been awhile since I went there in a weekend.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I usually park in BS trailhead and ride to either trail heads, to get an extra warm up and less cars. Though it's been awhile since I went there in a weekend.
This is normally my game plan too, although lately it's still been filling all the way up even with the enlarging of the lot they did recently. Looked like there were several cars that had either warnings or tickets on their windshields that had parked in the horse trailer spots this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I was at the Blue Sky parking lot yesterday, and the ranger was busy putting tickets on cars. Lot was almost full, but spaces were opening up, and we didn't have a problem parking.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a spot at the Blue Sky lot yesterday around 2. Its the first time I have parked there this season. It looks like lots of people couldn't figure out the diagonal parking spaces.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,020 Posts
I found a spot at the Blue Sky lot yesterday around 2. Its the first time I have parked there this season. It looks like lots of people couldn't figure out the diagonal parking spaces.
Ha,ha that reminds me of something that happened years ago. In the early eighties a buddy and I drive up to Breckenridge for a ski trip. But being young and dumb males we decided to drive to Denver first and hit some bars then drive to Breckenridge at 2:00 am. We get the ski resort in the early morning hours and of course it was closed. The parking lot had a fresh layer of snow on it. So it being empty we drove to the front of the lot and picked out a great spot. Then we went to sleep for a couple hours waiting for them to open. We wake up at like 9:00am and look outside. The lot guys parked cars all around us as we were parked straight and they parked everyone diagonally. We were almost blocked in but managed to re-arrange our car correctly. It was hilarious and I bet the lot guys got a good laugh as they parked everyone being careful not to wake us up.:lol:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
So we were considering the 40 in the Fort race, and went out to ride the trails. We parked at Blue Sky to save some drive time, and rode the Tower Rd, and over Westridge to Spring Creek. We wondered if we got off the race course, the Spring Creek DH seemed far too technical for a endurance race. Did we get off the course loop? Or is this DH easier if you know the lines? I had to walk a couple of the Rocky areas, and the wife said "no way" to the race if these were the trails.
Are we wimps? Or is this race really run over this DH?

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
So we were considering the 40 in the Fort race, and went out to ride the trails. We parked at Blue Sky to save some drive time, and rode the Tower Rd, and over Westridge to Spring Creek. We wondered if we got off the race course, the Spring Creek DH seemed far too technical for a endurance race. Did we get off the course loop? Or is this DH easier if you know the lines? I had to walk a couple of the Rocky areas, and the wife said "no way" to the race if these were the trails.
Are we wimps? Or is this race really run over this DH?
As far as endurance races go, 40 in the Fort is mile-for-mile among the more difficult races in the region. Having said that, from your description above I think you might be thinking of the Wathen descent, not Spring Creek.

If you took Westridge from Tower, you would have descended the Wathen trail to Spring Creek. If you went right (down) on Spring Creek, than I think you were off course (unless it's changed from last year). Last years course had you going left (up) on Spring Creek for ~1/4 mile to Herrington, then ascending back to Tower Road. Spring Creek is a fairly technical descent, but I don't think it's more technical overall than the Mill Creek descent, which is part of the race course.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
May have been Wathen, lots of Rocky bits with a decent into a creek that the climb out required several hikes. We thought we were on course, but just following the written directions, could not find a map of the entire course that allowed me to see where it actually went, and not being local, it is hard to picture where this goes. Any Strava I find is confusing as the course loops back onto itself, and without knowing these names, I loose where it goes. I may try to convince the wife to let me race, but 40 miles in the June heat and over technical trails that I do not know seems like a recipe for pain, and maybe blood. I don't understand why I can't find a map that showes the loops, and where it overlaps itself. Anyone know where on the web it may be hiding?

1,328 Posts
I bought a garmin oregon for situations like this - you can get them used off fleabay for ~$50 (or more if you want the latest/greatest). Just download the gpx from strava and follow the pink line. The directions aren't always perfectly clear (like when there's a parallel path just a few yards away or picking the correct right, sorta right, straight, left... at a fork) but it's easy to see when you've veered too far off course.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Pretty much all of Horsetooth and Lory are what you just rode. Steep, rocky, with lots of places you don't think are ridable. If you are having issues with just riding around the park, I wouldn't recommend the race. Did you read the course/race description? I think they do a pretty good job of telling you its gnarly. The part about NOT using lightweight tires/tubes? The part about the 8000' of climbing? Yes it is a recipe for pain. Blood, probably too. I wouldn't do it by myself as you pretty much need to be super man to do 40mi of Horsetooth/Lory in one day.

As for map, you need to combine Lory State Park and Horestooth Mtn Park map and follow the description.

·
flowcus
153 Posts
I don't understand why I can't find a map that showes the loops, and where it overlaps itself. Anyone know where on the web it may be hiding?
I don't know why someone at Overland hasn't put this all together, but here are your bread crumbs.....

Lory:
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Lory/Documents/Lory Map CPW version high res 8-24-12.pdf

HTMP:
http://www.larimer.org/naturalresources/images/htmp_map.pdf

40 in the Fort course description
http://www.overlandmtb.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/40-In-The-Fort-Course-Map-&-Description-2013.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts