Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been hearing more and more that the best time to buy a bike is in April?

Is this correct? and why?

If so, Ill be waiting a few more weeks before buying a new bike! :)

(Is it because the 2015 models?)

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
You won't be seeing 2015 models in your shop's showroom until September (roughly) at the earliest. The reason you're hearing to buy a bike now is because many shops and manufacturers have sales and offer discounts at the beginning of the season. This helps clear out old stock for the summer, as well as help riders get motivated to ride by stocking up on gear and maybe a new bike. Most sales are held between the middle of March and April, so start calling around to your shops and see what they have going on. Where I'm from, a couple of the shops have already had their big sales, and some are having them this weekend and next weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is really helpful. I'm pretty new to cycling and am really just looking for a good introductory bike. Hopefully I can find a good one on sale in the next few weeks. Then they can take all my money on equipment that I'll probably end up buying. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses!

Do you guys know of any good online sites that have good deals this time of year?

Looking to get a new Airborne or Marin bike online since my lbs is small and only carries specialized.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
During the winter and early spring is a great time to shop, another good one is just after the next year model becomes available and the shops look to free up floor space (Sept - Oct).

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been hearing more and more that the best time to buy a bike is in April?

Is this correct? and why?

If so, Ill be waiting a few more weeks before buying a new bike! :)

(Is it because the 2015 models?)
In scandinavia is october/november. most bike stores here are general sporting goods stores,so in october/nov they need to get rid of the bikes to make place for skis and crap. Usually you can find stuff for 50% off.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
The biggest discount off 2014 bikes will begin Labor Day weekend. Up to 35% off. Now 15% off is the most for some.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
April is the most expensive time of year b/c retailers have their latest inventory and want to get full markup on it, there are many more buyers gearing up for summer, and everyone just got their tax returns. I find sales during this time are fake teaser sales and not the value that you'll find off season.

Generally end of summer / sep / oct is best for complete bikes. Keep an eye on prices, be flexible and willing to pick from 2 or 3 different models or builds and be ready to jump on a deal that fits you.

Another good time to buy is Jan/Feb / Mar: while complete bikes and frames are mostly gone, but parts will always be avail and are dirt cheap because Xmas is over and people are waiting for April to know how much they'll get back on taxes.

So if you are willing to build your own:
1) Frames in sep - nov before they are gone
2) Maybe fork in the same timeframe if you see a huge deal, but you can usually find last year's forks after Xmas
3) Rest of the parts in the post Xmas sales into feb / mar

If you follow this formula you can build your dream ride with hand selected parts for 30%-40% off msrp and no sunk costs on any take-off parts from a stock build. ( stem, bars, seat, seatpost, etc )

·
Registered
423 Posts
You won't be seeing 2015 models in your shop's showroom until September (roughly) at the earliest. The reason you're hearing to buy a bike now is because many shops and manufacturers have sales and offer discounts at the beginning of the season. This helps clear out old stock for the summer, as well as help riders get motivated to ride by stocking up on gear and maybe a new bike. Most sales are held between the middle of March and April, so start calling around to your shops and see what they have going on. Where I'm from, a couple of the shops have already had their big sales, and some are having them this weekend and next weekend.
Are those sales for the current year models (2014) or the previous year (2013)? If it's for the previous year, then my LBS do it differently. They had theirs last November.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Depends on the model year you're looking for. If you shop in late fall you'll be able to get your hands on a previous year model for quite a bit cheaper than a current year model. Most dealers aren't going to be price dropping any brand new 2015 bikes for a little while.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I typically see big markdowns in the middle of winter, especially leftover apparel. Bikes and parts can be hit or miss, it seems no one in the bike world is in a hurry to ship anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts