Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Best XC fork is the obsolete, 2011 Dual Air, G2-spec Rock Shox Reba XX, pushed out to 120mm. It was plush, with an almost "bottomless" feel. The Dual Air chambers meant nearly infinite tuneability and the Xloc damper was buttery-smooth.

They still pop-up on eBay, for well under $300 used. They are very easy to service yourself and are stiff and super-compliant. The G2 spec modified the trail figure, for non-twitchy, laser steering response, with descending stability. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You didn't say for what wheel size, but I'll agree with NVphatty and say look to 34mm+ stanchions if stiffness is your highest priority, PIKE if money is no object, X-Fusion Sweep or Trace depending on wheel size and budget. Veyr happy with my Trace, it replaced an F34, seems a tad bit stiffer.

Looking for the following attributes in order of importance:
1. Stiff
2. Plush
3. Light weight
4. Price

Travel 120mm

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheel size is 27.5
I want to stay with 32mm stanchions
Wondering if rs Sid is stiff enough for anything other then racing

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I currently use a 2012 Dual Air Rock Shox SID XX for all-day, climbing trail epics, and it holds up just fine.....up and down.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
I currently use a 2012 Dual Air Rock Shox SID XX for all-day, climbing trail epics, and it holds up just fine.....up and down.
I'm sure it'll hold up. But it won't offer the suspension performance or stiffness that people normally look for in a fork for riding technical terrain.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I just don't see how you list stiffness as priority #1 and plush #2 and want to stick to a 32mm chasis, to me that's puts Weight as priority #1 :eek:ut:
Wheel size is 27.5
I want to stay with 32mm stanchions
Wondering if rs Sid is stiff enough for anything other then racing

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking the subject line that says Xc would eliminate the all mountain forks. What I am trying to determine is what is the best 32mm fork for Xc riding in rocky terrain. I don't want to exceed approx 1800 grams. Unless the fork performance is way better. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Douglas, what do you mean.
The rs Sid is extremely light, it must be flexy. No?
I love all of these statements from armchair engineers.

There is a reason that as travel increases, so does stanchion diameter.

At 100-120mm, 32mm is fully capable of doing the job. I've never heard of anyone complain about fork stiffness on any modern (32mm) XC fork, other than the WC versions of SIDs, with the carbon crowns.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
I was thinking the subject line that says Xc would eliminate the all mountain forks. What I am trying to determine is what is the best 32mm fork for Xc riding in rocky terrain. I don't want to exceed approx 1800 grams. Unless the fork performance is way better. Thanks for the feedback.
The stiffest forks you're going to find at that travel are a reduced Lefty 29er, followed by a DT Swiss XMM.

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
Manitou Marvel. 1600 grams, reasonably stiff ( at least at 100mm under my 230 pounds), plush and the ability to easily retune the damper for your needs and preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
as you should, afterall nobody here knows ones qualifications @ a moments notice so :p with that said are YOU an engineer making such a pompous statement??
Do you know the definition of "pompous"? If so, tell me how my statement was pompous, please.

I did not present myself as an engineer. I simply stated that an XC fork is...wait for it...adequate for XC.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts