Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Suffering Mightily
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sunglasses are you using? My Oakleys have had it and I am curious who likes what...:cool:

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
SS is about simplicity. Ditch the shades and HTFU. Squinting makes you look like Clint Eastwood and gives you some weird tan lines.

·
openwound
580 Posts
Bah! Smimplicity... I've had enough crap get flung into my eyes to appreciate a decent set of specs, though I won't spend big bucks on 'em. I picked up a used pair of some specialized glasses with their version of "transition" lenses -- the tint varies depending on how bright it is. A little big/funky in the styling department but hey, I can't see me when I'm riding.

·
3,707 Posts
Some $15 piece from REI or Sports Authority (can't remember). I'm always breaking/losing them. No way I'd spend $100+ on sunglasses.

As far as HTFU, UV protection is nothing to joke around with. Protect your eyes.

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
My old M frames and/or eye jackets. Only because that is what I have. Honestly, in the woods I find that I end up taking them off so really the best thing for me would be a set with clear lenses.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rudy Project are available with auto darkening lenses. They work real good if you're riding in the woods and then out in the open. Also nice for when it's getting late in the day and you don't need dark shades. The lenses are pretty much indestructable too.

·
smell the saddle...
612 Posts
I picked up some Tifosi Q2 or Q3 glasses when I was up in Ocoee, TN last year. Got them on clearance (of course), I think I paid 20ish for them (they retail for 40+). Mine are orange tinted so less of sunglasses and more of just protective glasses. They have the holes in the corners to keep the lenses from fogging. So far they have been really great. I feel naked without them on (but then again I ride naked sometimes). :D

·
Suffering Mightily
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why wear glasses? Pinguecula on both eyes from years of UV/wind damage. Trying to keep it from getting worse which, of course, it can without decent glasses. Years of riding without them contributed to the condition.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,547 Posts
Don't settle for anything less than genuine singlespeed specific riding glasses. They're simpler than geared glasses, lighter, and everybody you meet on the trail will say something like, "Wow, I could never wear those on these trails!" Less maintenance, too.

They only have one lens.

--Sparty

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
I think Performance Bike has a nice line of eyewear that is inexpensive ($20-40) and they usually come with interchangeable lenses.
I use the cloudy day lens as my all purpose lens. It's dark enough for sunny days and enhances contrast, without causing eye strain in the shade or clouds. They are also great for driving, as you don't need as dark of a lens with the window tint.

I recently lost mine and went out and got the same pair again. I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to spend money on.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/SubCategory_10052_10551_400025_-1_400003_400003

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
i was kidding about not wearing any.
its all about the bombers!

now and then ill bring out the oldies(ss specific)

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Sparticus said:
Don't settle for anything less than genuine singlespeed specific riding glasses. They're simpler than geared glasses, lighter, and everybody you meet on the trail will say something like, "Wow, I could never wear those on these trails!" Less maintenance, too.

They only have one lens.

--Sparty
:D :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glasses that fit you are the best. I prefer glasses that are frameless under the lens as they don't obstruct a downward glance at your gear. I also like to be able to swap in clear lenses for winter riding as daylight can get pretty scarce in my neck of the woods. Currently wearing Flak Jackets, which meet these criteria.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the Oakley Flak Jackets. Oakley optics are top notch. I have prescription lenses for them as well.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts