Votes: 17 51.5%
  • S type

Votes: 3 9.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
---Matt--- said:
Yeah, it's the double wides that are the weak rim...

Here's the pic off the Sun-Ringle` website

---Matt---
Ive always wondered why the mag 30s are so much more expensive than the doubletracks, if they are the same rim. Are they made in the US or something?

·
What's this for anyway???
145 Posts
WheelieMan said:
Ive always wondered why the mag 30s are so much more expensive than the doubletracks, if they are the same rim. Are they made in the US or something?
I have absolutely no idea why the MAG 30 is more expensive coz even BeyondBikes.com says they're the same, "This is the same rim as the Intense Mag 30 but in Ano black and with Sun Rims Stickers on it. " from BeyondBikes.com

---Matt---

·
Registered
896 Posts
---Matt--- said:
I have absolutely no idea why the MAG 30 is more expensive coz even BeyondBikes.com says they're the same, "This is the same rim as the Intense Mag 30 but in Ano black and with Sun Rims Stickers on it. " from BeyondBikes.com

---Matt---
Universal Cycles has Double Track rims for only 35 dollars. That seems to be a really good deal for a bombproof rim. Anybody ever had any problems with the mag30/doubletrack rim?

·
Registered
192 Posts
...I have had some minor problems with them...

...the alloy isn't very consistent thru-out the extrusion and it tends to make it a tricky wheel to build - spoke tension can be all over the place. I had a double trac that actually had a spoke come right out but the rim stayed very nearly true.

Same issue with the Mag 30's I've got. The back is starting to give me some problems, so I'll have to look at loosening it all off and re-tensioning it.

I've also had problems with the spot welded metal piece on the inside of 1 of my Mag 30's. The rim weld is okay but the little re-enforcement peice they put in was loose so I had to come up with a creative way to fix that.

They are good rims if you are on a budget. I only use them because I consider them to be disposable and not nearly of the same quality as Mavic. I continue to use these because my LBS has usually offered them to me at very very affordable prices.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've had mine since january and they still haven't come outta true. I've wrecked pretty hard, done some decent hucks, and some serious DH and I've never had any problems at all. Also, I don't know if this is my rims or my treads but i've also never had a flat :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
LT1 said:
I've also had problems with the spot welded metal piece on the inside of 1 of my Mag 30's. The rim weld is okay but the little re-enforcement peice they put in was loose so I had to come up with a creative way to fix that.
I've seen and fixed that problem in more than a few mavic rims..

I've had lots of good luck with Sun rims, as have many of the people I ride with. I just got one of their new MTX rims and it's nice, haven't built it up yet, though.

My Demo 9 came with Mavic EX729 rims.. seemed decent enough, but they flat spot pretty easily. Also developed small cracks coming out of 3 eyelets, but they didn't get any bigger after a week of DH riding in montana so I'm assuming it's just cosmetic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.