Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as of this morning all my 26er xc equipment has been sold. I want to get a 29er SS, I'm between a few rigs and I'd like some opinions. I would need roughly a 16" frame. So what do you like or dislike about certain models? I'm also up for recommendations.

2009 Haro Mary ss, I don't like the 2010
Kona Unit
Vassago Jaberwocky
Used Niner Sir9?

I've also heard some companies that make 29ers don't have their geometry quite right yet, does anyone know what I mean are there specific models or companies that should not make 29ers? Help me out, please!

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
rob.char said:
Well as of this morning all my 26er xc equipment has been sold. I want to get a 29er SS, I'm between a few rigs and I'd like some opinions. I would need roughly a 16" frame. So what do you like or dislike about certain models? I'm also up for recommendations.

2009 Haro Mary ss, I don't like the 2010
Kona Unit
Vassago Jaberwocky
Used Niner Sir9?

I've also heard some companies that make 29ers don't have their geometry quite right yet, does anyone know what I mean are there specific models or companies that should not make 29ers? Help me out, please!
Are you looking for rigid or hardtail? If you want a hardtail, I would definately look at a Gary Fisher Rig. They seem to have the whole 29er geometry sorted pretty well. If you are looking for a rigid bike, you have lots of options. Redline Monocog Flite, Raleigh XXIX, GT Peace, and Surly Karate Monkey all come to mind.

You also need to ask yourself what's important to you in chain tensioning systems. Some folks really don't like EBB's (myself included) so that rules out some otherwise really nice bikes (Rig, dammit). Some folks hate track ends because of the need to adjust the brakes with each gear change. That's not a deal killer for me. Many folks, myself included, feel that the best current solution to this problem is sliding dropouts.

Some of the bikes on my list have an MSRP over $1000, but I included them as you have the Jabberwocky on your original list. No way your building one of those up for <$1000 unless you have many of the parts laying around already.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran across a used Jaberwocky for $900 used. I'd consider used, but that can get tricky talking about that here. The rig does seem a little out of my budget right now unfortunately. I was looking at buying rigid but I can always throw on a squishy 80mm fork in the future.

I'm not a fan of curvy tubes on hardtails. How does that Karate monkey handle? I'm really liking the Mary and the Unit, does anyone know the difference in the steel used in either frame I know the Mary is Reynolds 853. Anyone ride either or?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigE610 said:
oh and i just got a new old stock rig for 800
Where did this happen? LBS?

I'm really not liking the Karate Monkey that seat tube just isn't doing it for me.

I know the Mary has the Reynolds 853 but what type of steel is the Unit? Is it the same or better/worse? I can't find anything on Kona's site. Just that it says chromoly.

The Redline's sizing may not work for me 15 would be too small and 17 too big...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
rob.char said:
I know the Mary has the Reynolds 853 but what type of steel is the Unit? Is it the same or better/worse? I can't find anything on Kona's site. Just that it says chromoly.
i will try this agian. the mary is not reynolds 853, it is double butted 4130 cromoly. the only bike you were considering that is 853 is the sir9. the sir is almost 900 for the frame alone. the kona is more than likely 4130 double butted cromoly. its probably made specificly for kona. you can e-mail kona t or post on the kona forum to find out for sure.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Captain_America1976 said:
i will try this agian. the mary is not reynolds 853, it is double butted 4130 cromoly. the only bike you were considering that is 853 is the sir9. the sir is almost 900 for the frame alone. the kona is more than likely 4130 double butted cromoly. its probably made specificly for kona. you can e-mail kona t or post on the kona forum to find out for sure.
Oh ok my bad. I will check up on the Kona. I emailed konatech.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BigE610 said:
yeh i found it at a lbs. i just kept emailing all the ones in the area until i found a deal.
I emailed some shops locally around me, about Unit's and Rig's I want to ride some around. How do you like the ebb bottom bracket? How exactly does it work, similar to a tensioner? Would you recommend it over horizontal drop outs? The Fox fork looks like a plus.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Love my 2009 Mary....rigid for about six months and now 2009 Reba for the last couple months and love her even more for the less than smooth trails around here.

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
An improtant factor IMO, is the difference between straight guage tubing, and double butted tubing. Weight, and ride quality, are affected by those things. Feel is also affected i.e. lively... or dead. The Redline Flight is double butted, and is made from a higher grade of steel... than say 4130 (generic). My wife and I both have Flights... she had a regular mcog as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mo0se said:
An improtant factor IMO, is the difference between straight guage tubing, and double butted tubing. Weight, and ride quality, are affected by those things. Feel is also affected i.e. lively... or dead. The Redline Flight is double butted, and is made from a higher grade of steel... than say 4130 (generic). My wife and I both have Flights... she had a regular mcog as well.
I don't see how weight would be much different. Unless the tubes were thicker or thinner. The Flight just looks like it's made of Sanko steel which is the same material as 4130 cromo. Except it's drawn rather then welded into a tube like db tubing. Am I correct? I think the Sanko is made in Japan if it matters to anyone. But 4130 is 4130 right?

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
rob.char said:
I don't see how weight would be much different. Unless the tubes were thicker or thinner. The Flight just looks like it's made of Sanko steel which is the same material as 4130 cromo. Except it's drawn rather then welded into a tube like db tubing. Am I correct? I think the Sanko is made in Japan if it matters to anyone. But 4130 is 4130 right?
Butting a tube does make it thinner in areas that don't need to be as strong as the ends where the joints are. It makes a signifigant decrease in weight and improves ride quality over similar tubes minus the butting. The Sanko tubing is double butted. Most of the steel bikes that are on the list are some version of 4130 Chromoly. For example, the GT Peace is made from Reynolds 520 which is essentially 4130 under a different name.

An Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) tensions the chain by using an oversized bottom bracket shell with an off center hole for mounting the bottom bracket (crank spindle). You rotate the bottom bracket in the shell to take up slack in the chain. This allows you to use horizontal dropouts and quick release skeweres on a Single Speed bike. The reason that I am not a fan of the EBB is that many people have had issues with squaking, slipping, and stripping the fixing bolts. Then again, many people have experienced none of these issues. I just don't want to deal with it.

Another thing to consider with an EBB is that when you change gear ratios, you end up changing the relationship between the crankset and the saddle. Again, it's not a big change, but it is something to consider.

Sliding dropouts give you the ability to use a horizontal dropout and quick release skewer like an EBB. In this system, the dropouts are mounted onto slots at the seat tube/chain stay junction. The disk brake mount is also on the sliding plates so the brake moves with the axle. This is a very elegent design with the only real drawback being that the wheelbase of the bike changes very slightly with gearing changes.

Track ends are the simplest method. If you remember how the rear wheel is mounted in just about any BMX bike, that is a track end. This almost necesitates the use of a bolt on rear axle to prevent slipping. I have heard of some people using Shimano XT skewers with success but I'm not about to try it. Also, since the disk brake is mounted on the seatstays (or chainstays on the On One Inbred and a few other bikes) they must be moved in concert with the wheel with each gearing change.

Frames with track ends:

Vassago Jabberwocky
GT Peace 9r
On One Inbred
Surly Karate Monkey
Redline regular Monocog

Frames with EBB
Gary Fisher Rig
Raleigh XXIX
Niner.....

Bikes with sliding dropouts
Kona Unit
Redline Monocog Flight

This is by no means an all inclusive list. Or for that matter it may not even be a completely accurate list.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Well, all I can say is that my Monocog Flight is a very fun bike.

I've let my friends ride it and they are just in awe of the raw feeling yet it is very fast.

I hang with any group ride on anything other than FR where we climb 1000' and drop down. For aggressive single track, it is a very sharp tool. I've followed a very good rider on a Cannondale F3 and he was so very impressed that I was right on his heals. When I was leading, he really had to stand on it coming out of the corners to make up for my corner speeds.

My latest mod is a Hope 2 pro SS hub. It completes the bike!! With 48poe, very technical stuff is like cake!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
March will be my 2nd anniversary since I have owned my Redline Monocog 29er. I still get all giddy like a little kid everytime I throw my leg over this bike and head down the trail. For me it has the perfect geometry, is so fun to toss around the trail, and of course the price is unbeatable.

The bike was pretty much perfect as is but I have made a few minor upgrades (mech disk brakes, different cog, carbon bar).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts