Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, all.

First of all, I'm posting from my account. (it's the only one, don't worry.) However, I started it when I was 12, and I'd just like to say I'm sorry for the immaturity, bad spelling, and overall jerkosity of my posts. :D

Right then, after getting hopelessly mired in the computer scene, I'm getting back into biking some. My '03 Enduro Comp has finally crapped out on me, and I figured I may as well replace it.

Actually, to give you some background: I'm 14 years old. I'm about 5'7" tall and lanky, weighing around 115 pounds.

What I use my bike for, honestly, is getting from Point A to Point B in the most fun way possible, hopefully getting onto some trails and hitting some gaps, drops, etc. along the way.

So, another reason why the Enduro needs replacing is that it's a trailbike from five years ago. It's getting a little too wimpy, even though my addiction to all things Apple has caused me to forget everything (almost) I know about freeriding and the like. Come to think of it, half the damn thing is broken in one way or another. Leaking shock, dead rear brake, crappy tires, dinged up, did I mention it's too small?

So, criteria:

- $1600 or less (sales OK)
- able to handle freeride, urban assault, jumps
- dual-suspension or hardtail doesn't matter
- Suspension has to be by the big four (no SR, Spinner, etc)
- It can't look REALLY stupid.

Thanks a lot for your help... it's so exciting getting back into biking! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i think the best hardtail deal that people like are the ibex ones , the jamis komodo that is on sale at Jenson and bikesdirect.

Full sus, the general thing is you wont get a good bike with good components for that budget.
But you can find some good deals out there. most bang for the buck will be ibex and motobecane. then the next option is last years closeouts.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did notice that a lot of people have Ibex in their sigs.

Old models in closeout are perfectly fine with me. I'd rather have a nice old-news bike than a mediocre new one. :p

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Good frame w/crappy to mediocre parts :thumbsup: That way you have a good platform to upgrade w/better components as the old ones wear out. "Get the best frame you can when you buy". I know this sounds hard to do when you are your age and yer budget is "$0 & none". As I have bought bikes & replaced parts I came to realize this is the best way to go about it when budgets hinder you. Ideal scenario; buy the frame you want and start buying the parts you want on it...."one can dream can't he" ?? :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
yea the those are good so is the Mongoose Black Diamond single, double or triple.
If you want to avoid SR Suntour shocks on the Teocali comp go for the Elite wich is about $1500 or the super which is closer to $1800 I think. The 07 and 08 Teocali Comp at about 850-1000 at Performance Bike have SR suntour Epicon air shock front and rear and they are actually pretty good and you can always upgrade that, but the Comp has some other lower end stuff also like Tectro hydro brakes. I have an 06 comp but it came with Manitou Splice 130mm forks and Hayes hydro brakes, But the X-Fusion R Coil rear shock is kind of crappy.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
Seems like overall good advice.

Has anyone heard anything about the Mongoose Teocali/Khyber? They seem like nice bikes.
They are and they should be considered. The Pacific crew has a history of helping with with our trail building and we see their past, present and future products JRA and/or when they have events with their sponsored riders. One of the best riders I know rides a Teocali and no aspect of performance and reliability hold him back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.