·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been addressed before,
but I was thinking of trying out singlespeeding and
wanted to do it without throwing a whole lot of money
into it.
What is the best bang-for-your-buck singlespeed?

I have looked into:

KHS Solo-one
Redline Monocog
Redline Monocog Aluminum
Kona Unit

Are any of these any good?
Am I leaving anything out?

I don't want to spend too much so that is why I was considering
these models.
thanks.

·
I like bikes.
268 Posts
I think that the Kona Unit is a great SS for offroad purposes. I have a Redline Monocog right now and it is a bit on the heavy side and the parts don't really hold up that well to off-road abuse. Plus, the Unit has the disc tabs in case you want to upgrade to disc brakes. So, the Unit gets my vote.

·
Only dead people are old
712 Posts
Mowerman said:
into it.

I have looked into:

KHS Solo-one
Redline Monocog
Redline Monocog Aluminum
Kona Unit

these models.
thanks.
Convert an old bike first - it's by far the cheapest way (should cost less than a $100 for a top tensioner, chain, cheap cog, spacers, and shorter chain ring bolts). If you must have a new bike to try SS then consider a Fisher Rig (if you can tolerate a 29er that is). For $999 it's well equipped. Otherwise I just can't help you here.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Check Ebay for new or used

I often see nice SS bikes on ebay, both new and used. A conversion is a good way to get started, but if you want a complete bike I'd suggest a KHS Solo-one, Kona Unit or Fisher Rig. Prices ranging from about $500-1000. You can also start with a SS specific frame and build it up consider IRO, Zion, Surly, etc.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I go with Super E. Convert an old bike first.

The good reason for doing this is that you will be able to make a direct comparison in the feel of the bike.

If the wheels are still round and the bearings ok, even the oldest clunker makes a tolerably good SS. It's all the bits that you are going to throw away that cause the problems with a bike.

Feel the difference!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
OK. lets say you don't have an old bike to convert. Would you guys
A. Buy an old bike for the purposes of converting
B. Go ahead and just buy a production SS.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Monocog

jonlong said:
I think that the Kona Unit is a great SS for offroad purposes. I have a Redline Monocog right now and it is a bit on the heavy side and the parts don't really hold up that well to off-road abuse. Plus, the Unit has the disc tabs in case you want to upgrade to disc brakes. So, the Unit gets my vote.
I have a Monocog and think it's great off-road. It's a little heavy, but mine's only about 26-27lbs, which is by no means too heavy for offroad.

The parts do seem a little light for heavy off-road use, but I planned on that and will just replace stuff as it breaks. First thing is the cheesy freewheel that's already starting to creak and groan like crazy.

I like the Monocog. You can get it for ~$420, ride the crap out of it, and replace parts if needed down the road. Can't beat that in my book.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i bought a monocog frame and wheels from webcycelery last may or so. and i have beat the snot out of it for two seasons now...

i weigh 230, and ride some pretty rough trials occasionally. i think the parts are holding up great... all i have managed to do so far is break two spokes. the bike may be heavy but I LOVE the geometry and it rides really freakin nice for a bike that cheap.

I VOTE MONOCOG!

and if your gonna get one, why not make it even cheaper and get it used! there seem to be tons out there where people have already done some nice parts upgrades and the bikes are still cheap.

just rode it last night, i'll ride it both days this weekend, IT FREAKIN ROCKS!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Beckman4 said:
I have a Monocog and think it's great off-road. It's a little heavy, but mine's only about 26-27lbs, which is by no means too heavy for offroad.

The parts do seem a little light for heavy off-road use, but I planned on that and will just replace stuff as it breaks. First thing is the cheesy freewheel that's already starting to creak and groan like crazy.

I like the Monocog. You can get it for ~$420, ride the crap out of it, and replace parts if needed down the road. Can't beat that in my book.
Hey Brian, so what is the word my brutha?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
roadiegonebad said:
Just build one up with whatever is lying around.
:p

Of the bunch listed, the Unit is the "best" IMO.
I am still looking for that pile of parts and old bikes that are supposedly laying around everyone's garages. Maybe it is under the dog?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just picked up a solo-one and it is pretty nice. The '05 versions have a disk tab on the frame and the fork. The only thing that you might need to change immediately is the gearing. It comes with a 33:16, that depending on your terrain is a little tall (this may be true for all of the stock singlespeeds?).

I ride with another guy that rides SS exclusively. He has been riding a solo-one for a couple of years, and he is pretty happy with his frame, though he occasionally grumbles about the movement from the softail.

If you can ride the bikes before you buy, definitely do that and get the one that feels the best.

Cheers,

GF

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Mowerman said:
into it.

I have looked into:

KHS Solo-one
Redline Monocog
Redline Monocog Aluminum
Kona Unit

these models.
thanks.
The best bang for your buck as you asked is garbage picking, rumage sales and used, and don't laugh at my suggesting an old cruiser. I still use my Schwinn Typhoon. I would add Bianchi to your list otherwise.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Too bad it's overseas. Wonder how well shipping would work. Also, notice this from the add.

PLEASE NOTE :: MARRIED MEN!!! PEOPLE WITH JOINT ACCOUNTS!!! In the last 2 days we've had 3 men cancel due to their wife/partner finding out they'd ordered a bike without checking. Therefore we urge you to ensure you can hide your new bike from them so you don't have to cancel your order.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
on-one shipping...

it says right below the bike, carriage is 20 pounds, or around $38. Thats cheaper than most domestic shippers!! Also, on-one's are great bikes, im loving mine....

but

my vote still goes for the cheapest best fit: used monocog or old bike frame built up.

·
Registered
553 Posts
24601 said:
Too bad it's overseas. Wonder how well shipping would work. Also, notice this from the add.
People have reported getting their bikes shipped for $30. It will vary depending on the exchange rate.

The shipping is cheap beacuse americans do not have to pay the VAT tax. It is all explained on the on-one site.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.