Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My buddy cracked his Kona Unit frame and is now in the market for a Steel/Alloy 29er SS Frame to replace it.

Ive suggested a couple of options but thought Id throw it out there and see what you guys would do.

What would you guys suggest for roughly $1K (frame only), he's looking for something a bit different from the norm which makes it hard I know. We're in Australia and generally only see the everyday stuff so some suggestions from abroad would be great!

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
1k should get you a custom frame. Surprisingly, there are multiple frames on the market because there is no such thing as a universal 'best.'

·
Registered
157 Posts
A Spot Rocker SS (or last years longboard- it would cost less if you could find one) is little bit more than $1K, but is a heck of a frame. Strong and light(true temper s3), great geometry, and a classic look to it. Plus you can go belt or chain with it. The rocker has an option to add gears and the longboard does not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Karate Monkey! Can't beat it!
Dirt Works has complete bikes for $1100 at the moment. Pretty sure frame only was about $600.
Just make sure you get red, they go faster!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Depends if he wants to be different for being different sake.

If he wants a pretty bloody nice steel SS frame but is willing to see a few around, shelling $320 for an On One Inbred from raceworx is a good place to start.

The Soma frames are supposed to be nice.

Don't think that 1k will get you into Baum or Thylacine territory although I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Fullrange Drew said:
Snip

Don't think that 1k will get you into Baum or Thylacine territory although I may be wrong.
Nope! Not even close

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Cotic Simple (oops not 29er)
Ibis Tranny (oops: not steel or 29er)

Salsa Selma is 29er and not all carbon fiber...

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thanks guys, some great replies all round. There are some that I had thought of and many I had forgotten. Most sound promising for the money.

If I could get him to pull his finger out and spend just a little bit more we could get something real nice Im sure.

I'll do some homework on the unfamiliar names and report back.

I was thinking the Karate Monkey but worried about the weight of the frame...are they heavy?

We are both heading to NZ for the SS Worlds so time is running out on this project.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Singulars are also available through singularcycles.co.nz, so getting one shouldn't be difficult - let me know if it is! You can also be happy that it's an Australian owned company :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Singular said:
Singulars are also available through singularcycles.co.nz, so getting one shouldn't be difficult - let me know if it is! You can also be happy that it's an Australian owned company :)
Hi i am considering a hummingbird frame and was wondering how much a medium weighed minus the fork.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Salsa

p nut said:
The new Salsa El Mariachi should be out. IIRC, $600 for frame. Rest, you can spend on shipping.
This is the frame I am going to buy. No EBB and the geo is spot on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts