Who? What? Never head of him...

Are you putting me on?

·
Registered
571 Posts
The best SS hub....

Phil Wood

Next question? :D

Honestly though, superb fabrication, excellent flange width for a strong wheel, bearings that will outlast your kid's college loans, and darn pretty to boot.

cheers,

rody

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Freewheels: More Classic
Best hubs are the White Industries or Phil Woods
Best Freewheels are the White Industries (hands down)

Problem with freewheels is that they tend to be quite heavier and it costs much more (especially if you're running White's) to change out gears. You also have to use a "made for single speed hub that you can not use on a geared bike.

Freehubs (cassete style): More high tech
Best SS specific hubs are Industry 9's, Chris Kings, Hadleys, and DT Swiss'
Best Cogs are Chris Kings in stainless steel, but anything with a wide base and not made of alumnium will be just fine.

Pros are that they are lighter, and it's easy and inexpensive to swap out cogs (3 King cogs are cheaper than one high end freewheel). Also, you can use a standard 9 speed wheel with spacers for SS, or if you get a SS specific one, it has a wider spacing between the spokes and zero dish, which makes for a stronger wheel. You also will get a better (more) enguagement points for quicker engagement. Even on the SS specific wheel, you can usually fit 4-5 cogs on there to run a few gears if you feel the urge.

Right now I'm riding on White Industries hubs and freewheels and love everything about them, but I have a set of Industry 9 SS wheels on the way and look forward to have something lighter and something I can swap out a cog on a whim when I hit the trails with long technical climbs.

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
skidmark said:
With an ENO freewheel: Phil Wood

With a freehub: DT Swiss
DING. DING. DING. we've got a winner! tell him what's he's won.

that's right, you get longevity, great looks, and no maintenance for 3 years. you also get unlimited miles and unparalleled durability with proper care. that's right, the two best SS hub options.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
thesenator said:
Anyone have pro/cons for Surly, Paul or DMR?
Of the 3, I have wheels built with Surly and Paul hubs. Both have been very reliable and are very user friendly requiring no special tools. The Paul hubs are much lighter, and have a bearing adjusting system similar to what Campagnolo is using so you can adjust the bearings while the wheel is on the bike.

I also have a DT Swiss 240 SS hub. I built this wheel because I finally could afford to treat myself to a DT 240 after lusting for one for about 13 years.
Pros for the DT are quick engagement, reputation for reliability, weight, and ease of changing gearing.
Ironically, I haven't changed my gearing since I got it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
CB2 said:
Of the 3, I have wheels built with Surly and Paul hubs. Both have been very reliable and are very user friendly requiring no special tools. The Paul hubs are much lighter, and have a bearing adjusting system similar to what Campagnolo is using so you can adjust the bearings while the wheel is on the bike.

I also have a DT Swiss 240 SS hub. I built this wheel because I finally could afford to treat myself to a DT 240 after lusting for one for about 13 years.
Pros for the DT are quick engagement, reputation for reliability, weight, and ease of changing gearing.
Ironically, I haven't changed my gearing since I got it.
Sorry, but the DT only has 18 points of engagement, which is probably as low as any hub on the market. I love DT 240s and have two sets, but the engagement is lacking. I just sold a DT singlespeed hub and will replace it with a King simply because I'd prefer the 72 points of engagement..

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
With me, I9 SS is first, their engagement is fantastic. Next is King. Both of these have excellent engagement and work well. My DT 240 SS hub has very slow engagement.

·
Welcome to the Gem...
813 Posts
i roll on an ENO rear hub. it's symmetrical, so it builds up really nicely, and it's strong like bull.

and of course... all the hub bub about ENO freewheels is so true. if you get any other freewheel, you're just missing out. a lot of hubs have about 24 engagement points. the 36 of the ENO is so right.

white industries makes a killer product, and they don't price gouge you for it. i wouldn't mind a phil wood hub, but i can't justify the price.

anyway. cheers, and GL.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts