Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the few available are the best ones?
UN53 seems to be the easiest to get. Is there anything better than this still available?
UN73 does not seem to be available. Will have to buy from Epay or an OS retailer. So if you point one out it would be nice if they shipped to OS ;)

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
ash240 said:
Which of the few available are the best ones?
UN53 seems to be the easiest to get. Is there anything better than this still available?
UN73 does not seem to be available. Will have to buy from Epay or an OS retailer. So if you point one out it would be nice if they shipped to OS ;)
I wouldn't call these the best, I've got about 50 miles on a UN54 and it's fine (not much info, sorry)
there's the UN26:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=20912&category=347

and the UN54:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=14284&category=347

I would think you should be able to source them in most countries.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've been very disappointed with anything less than the UN-7X series. YMMV. It really depends on the crankset you like to run (and want to run for a while)....

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
First generation Shimano XTR (900-series) are lovely. You would probably have to resort to epay but are worthwhile hunting out. Otherwise go for the others that have already been suggested.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can only find the un54's in the Shimano.
What about Token?
At the moment I am stil hoping to find something reasonably local so I can get it ASAP.
FSA, Token or the UN54 is all I can find other than crappy VP units.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
ash240 said:
Can only find the un54's in the Shimano.
What about Token?
At the moment I am stil hoping to find something reasonably local so I can get it ASAP.
FSA, Token or the UN54 is all I can find other than crappy VP units.
Get hold of Davis at Bikeman.com. He was telling me last week about a Sugino square taper BB. I'm sure he has access to all makes.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I've been very disappointed with anything less than the UN-7X series. YMMV. It really depends on the crankset you like to run (and want to run for a while)....
The 54 replaces the 7X series. Supposed to be the same weight and quality for less money. they are cheap, we'll see how they hold up. Just put one in my commuter last month.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
When it's time for a new one...

Going to look at:

Phil Wood
Race Face (via E-Bay)
Interloc
SKF
Shimano XT (If they can be found)

As long as I can get a steel spindle around 230g I'm happy. Got an XT on one bike and a Race Face on the other bike.

JmZ

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Skf

The Europeans have had these for a while. Now in the US at Tandem Mountain Bike. All stainless with three bearings also stainless and a one piece case. They used a new patented axial bearing design that they invented for cars in this design. They think it should last 10 years! Blast it with pressure!
I bought mine in ISIS form. They have square as well.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Rufudufus said:
The 54 replaces the 7X series. Supposed to be the same weight and quality for less money. they are cheap, we'll see how they hold up. Just put one in my commuter last month.
I wouldn't use the word replace, it's just the highest level generally available now. I've tried a UN53 and was not impressed, crappy threads on the metal cup even, definitely not the same as the UN71 it was replacing. Threw it back in the parts box for an emergency.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Prophet Julio said:
The Europeans have had these for a while. Now in the US at Tandem Mountain Bike. All stainless with three bearings also stainless and a one piece case. They used a new patented axial bearing design that they invented for cars in this design. They think it should last 10 years! Blast it with pressure!
I bought mine in ISIS form. They have square as well.
you have a link for this store? the SKFs are impossible to find in the states so that's making me wonder why...they used to be available and then everyone stopped carrying them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.