Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using gatorade for a while, but it doesn't seem to really work for me. I was wondering what is the best sports drink during a ride. I need something that will boost performance and has a lot of carbs and electrolytes for those long and intense races. Also what do you eat before a race. I know carbs, but like specific foods. Recently I have been bonking due to not eating enough. Any good, simple recipies to eat before a long 30ish mile road/MTB race.

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
mountainbiker2911 said:
Any good, simple recipies to eat before a long 30ish mile road/MTB race.
You should be as interested in what to eat whilst racing. I normally have a high carb, low sugar breakfast (ceral or crumpets), I use GU gels (or Balance) with GU in my camelbak / bottles.

I normally have a gel every 30 mins.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your bonking then you need more protien in the morning. Protien is way more sustainable as far as energy goes. Just eat a nice balanced brakefast with both carbs and protien such as eggs, toast and juice. Good hydration takes days to establish so drink plenty of water all week long. If your doing super long races then eat some sort of gel or gu on the bike. I prefere cliff shots because they're simple and don't mess my stomach up like some of the high tech stuff.

·
Riiiiiide...
691 Posts
Race?? Why would you want to race? Just go ride.. then you can take breaks, relax, chow down, and stop to smell the roses. Bonking not mandatory. :aureola:

Now, if this was the XC/Racing forum i might respond with something kinky like..
.. Soy milk with carob powder in the water bottle, good ol fashion water in the camel back, and dried fruit in yer pockets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
schneidie said:
start the ride with a monster, eat pop tarts when you get hungry, if you're going all day bring some sandiwches, and show down on all the charleston chews you can get your hands on.
Awsome, my girl is a triathlete and she swears by pop tarts and sandwitches on the bike. I however can't stand the sweetness so different strokes..

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
For long rides, I like gatorade dilluted to about half strength, sometimes a cliff bar, or something else really portable. For shorter rides, I just take plain water.

Before the ride, can't beat oatmeal, bananas, yogurt, eggs, whole wheat bread/bagels, cereal, milk (as long as you can digest it easily, milk may not be for everyone).

Get a balanced diet (fat, carbs, protein), eat a variety of fruits and veggies (and maybe a multi-vitamin), cut back on excessive fat (like deep fried stuff) and excessive sugar (sodas, candy), drink plenty of water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.