Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short while ago I did Mormon/National from Pima Canyon to Telegraph Pass, connecting with DC back to Pima Canyon. This was an awesome ride and was the major contributing factor to why I decided to add FS to my stable. I am fine having to try to walk up some of the technical sections like the waterfall, b/c the challenge is in learning the lines over time. However, once I got west of the Towers, I just felt like the terrain was way too technical, for both my abilities and my equipment, and Telegraph Pass was not a lot of fun b/c of the mix of crowds and tech challenge.

Pima Canyon to Buena Vista and back is a fun run to me, but what are some of the other routes to get back to Pima that are better suited to a HT? Especially routes that involve Mormon and National?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
A buddy and I go up the fire road to mormon and then break off on the ridge trail and then go wherever the flow takes us. One week we ended up by the power lines and then went up a hill that always kicks my butt. It is super rocky and has a really steep part that is hard to keep momentum on with my SS. I don't know the name of it, but I am sure it has many victims.

On Sunday, we ended up taking Mormon to Javelina and ended up at the same death hill (my friend keeps getting better at it, I got a little higher than last time).

I really like the east side of SoMo with the rigid SS. I like the other parts (National and the Waterfall section), but it is one hell of a workout to get up there in order to session the tough parts.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Honestly...

South Mountain itself is always going to be rocky and challenging...but that's what makes it so great.

Just keep rocking the trails you are riding and soon you will develop the skills to ride it. Don't say its not possible, because I've seen guys on 29'er SS rigid bikes clean National going up...and going down.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,856 Posts
KavuRider said:
Honestly...

South Mountain itself is always going to be rocky and challenging...but that's what makes it so great.

Just keep rocking the trails you are riding and soon you will develop the skills to ride it. Don't say its not possible, because I've seen guys on 29'er SS rigid bikes clean National going up...and going down.
Lets not forget the rider(s) with rigid 26ers and sandals!

Nothing is impossible.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
I woke up to the cartoon that features the drunken bird in your sig kenbentit. What a trip.

G

·
Its not about the trail so much as it is the hardtail...

Here's my purpose built SoMo hardtail. It pretty much goes where it wants.:D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading a few of the recent ride posts about DC, I may change my mind about it. What is the "Secret" trail, is it really that secret? And the goat trail up to the helipad? Are there any good map sources?

I just found DC to be less exciting and more crowded than T100, my opinion. I'm willing to explore it more though.

G

·
Pynis McDermott said:
After reading a few of the recent ride posts about DC, I may change my mind about it. What is the "Secret" trail, is it really that secret? And the goat trail up to the helipad? Are there any good map sources?

I just found DC to be less exciting and more crowded than T100, my opinion. I'm willing to explore it more though.
THere is a great SoMo GPS map over on www.MTBikeAZ.com. You just need to download the Google earth file, and it pretty much has all the trails.

http://mtbikeaz.com/2006/10/10/south-mountain-phoenix-gps-mapped/

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
As I understand, Goat trail is a very short, very steep, and loose connector trail between DC and Highline trail, about 1 mile before you reach Telegraph (or ~8 from Pima). I don't bother w/Goat, but I like Highline, which is a couple miles long. Check it out, especially if you like to climb - its pretty brutal aerobically. And the ride back down is fun, with your speed controlling the danger factor. Nothing technical - but the combination of speed, curves, and some rocks will demand your full attention.

If you take DC out of Pima Canyon, it leaves DC on your left after about 6-7 miles. About a mile past the campfire area, you do three very short but somewhat challenging ascents all w/in a mile. Not long after that, DC bears right, but if you stay straight, you head southward on Highline. Looking up, you can see the trail in the distance rising and making a sharp right. Before leaving DC onto Highline, shoot a Gu - you'll be doing some serious climbing in a couple minutes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
More fun on DC

Adding on the Secret Trails on the way can also break up DC. Just past the water tower you hang a right off DC and it takes you up to the start/bottom of Corona Loma. Then drops down to the Classic.

Also courtesy of Kortface have discovered a new 3mile section at end of DC. Take the road out of Telegraph parking lot and go right down the road about 3/4 mile, trail starts from road at end of houses on the right and goes up into the lower hills. It goes out about 3 miles and ends at a ruins of a house.

From Pima to the house is about 13miles with addition of secret and helipad.

I ride SS rigid also and this a good 2.5 to 3hr ride!!

Kortface just posted that he found some trails from the house over to San Juan. So might be possible to do whole length of National and come back on the flats!

I will be doing the ride either Saturday or Sunday if you want to tag along!

Brit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Adding on the Secret Trails on the way can also break up DC. Just past the water tower you hang a right off DC and it takes you up to the start/bottom of Corona Loma. Then drops down to the Classic.

Also courtesy of Kortface have discovered a new 3mile section at end of DC. Take the road out of Telegraph parking lot and go right down the road about 3/4 mile, trail starts from road at end of houses on the right and goes up into the lower hills. It goes out about 3 miles and ends at a ruins of a house.

From Pima to the house is about 13miles with addition of secret and helipad.

I ride SS rigid also and this a good 2.5 to 3hr ride!!

Kortface just posted that he found some trails from the house over to San Juan. So might be possible to do whole length of National and come back on the flats!

I will be doing the ride either Saturday or Sunday if you want to tag along!

Brit.
Yeah I'm 99% shure it conects around to national. It looks like a good steady climb from the end of national to the ruins.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Kortface said:
Yeah I'm 99% shure it conects around to national. It looks like a good steady climb from the end of national to the ruins.

Did you see the white cross made from rock just past the first wash on the way to the ruins? I was out there last week. I stopped right before the drop down into the second wash and noticed a trail snaking up into the mountain on the right. Did you check that out yet?

·
Registered
328 Posts
There's at least three trails going up to national. The trail we rode heads off west just before you get to the ruins. it's very hard to find the start but once your on it, it's sweet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.