Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
always liked post mounts till i got this nixon...:madman:

anyway, a standard hayes mounting bolt was sufficient to bottom out on the post mount and as a result it stripped. so what's the standard solution? tap it to M6x1 or helicoil? i'm calling manitou tomorrow to see what they have to say, but i doubt they'll be very forthcoming.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the bolt did have a washer, but bottomed nontheless. for what it's worth, it had blue loctite.

i ended up using a helicoil and it seems to be alright thus far.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
bighitdon said:
well, the bolt did have a washer, but bottomed nontheless. for what it's worth, it had blue loctite.

i ended up using a helicoil and it seems to be alright thus far.
what size helicoil did you use?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My son's Manitou was helicoiled from the factory. When I was putting new brakes on the helicoil backed out with the bolt. I took a v-brake post, cut it down so the threaded end was just a little shorter than the hole in the fork. Put some JB weld on it, pressed it into the fork. The disc brake bolt tightened right up. It works better than the helicoil. Good luck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tracyclifton said:
My son's Manitou was helicoiled from the factory. When I was putting new brakes on the helicoil backed out with the bolt. I took a v-brake post, cut it down so the threaded end was just a little shorter than the hole in the fork. Put some JB weld on it, pressed it into the fork. The disc brake bolt tightened right up. It works better than the helicoil. Good luck.
now THAT, my friend, is a DAMN good idea! never would have thought that would work!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did have to drill out the fork to the size of the brake boss. I cut the brake boss with a Dremel. I just thought if the helicoil was going to back out when I took the bolt out, so I'd give it a try. With gas prices so high, it costs me about $8.50 to go to town so I try to use what I have on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.