Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my rear shock on a tall boy (110mm, 7.25" eye to eye) Looking for small bump comfort similar to what a coil spring would provide. Unfortunately there is no coil spring shocks that would fit smaller travel bikes apparently. I am a 200lb rider and we have no smooth trails, and I often feel like im on a pogo stick!
Would something like the cane creek double barrel help with that and provide more ride comfort? Open for any advice, and hoping for something in the $500 or under ball park.

thanks!

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Not that this would be much help, but often shortage of small bump compliance will be inherent to the suspension design. And in my experience Santa Cruz's shorter travel bikes always felt very chattery.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
We cant help if we dont know what you have on there now.

If you're on a CTD shock, replacing it with a solid brass rod would probably be more plush. If you have a avalanche tuned shock you're probably out of luck.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Other option that many have had luck with is the Manitou McLeod. Great shock from all of my experience and I was probably one of the first in the US to actually get one and discuss extensively. Depending on the leverage ratio of the Tallboy you may need to upgrade to the King Can to add more negative space. Try contacting Manitou.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Not that this would be much help, but often shortage of small bump compliance will be inherent to the suspension design. And in my experience Santa Cruz's shorter travel bikes always felt very chattery.
What he said. That rear wheel axle path, the chain growth that is built in and the position-sensitive nature of the kinematics make those bikes odd birds for set-up. Too deep and you are pulling the rear wheel towards you. You are already sitting on a Low base compression tune (on stock damper) so maybe go large volume air can. We've done that for a bunch of people.

Remote reservoir rear shocks are more responsive due to the lower IFP pressures required so you should get better ride quality in terms of comfort and traction.

mk

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We cant help if we dont know what you have on there now.

If you're on a CTD shock, replacing it with a solid brass rod would probably be more plush. If you have a avalanche tuned shock you're probably out of luck.
fox float dps

thanks for all the replies everyone!

·
Registered
397 Posts
If DVO makes the Topaz in that size, it’ll be the plushest. On my HD3 I’ve used the Fox DPS, Cane Creek DB IL and the Topaz. No comparison in initial smoothness.
The Topaz is also very easy to modify and reacts well to changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Other option that many have had luck with is the Manitou McLeod. Great shock from all of my experience and I was probably one of the first in the US to actually get one and discuss extensively. Depending on the leverage ratio of the Tallboy you may need to upgrade to the King Can to add more negative space. Try contacting Manitou.
I put a mcleod on a tallboy (gen 1.1, not the current gen 3) and it transformed the bike. From chattery to smooth.... in a single change.
Highly recommend it.

Now.... have you tried changing the shock bushings (lower shock bushing to be specific) to needle bearings? This will improve plushness by quite a bit as well.

Oren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put a mcleod on a tallboy (gen 1.1, not the current gen 3) and it transformed the bike. From chattery to smooth.... in a single change.
Highly recommend it.
k
lookin like they don't have it in the size for the tallboy 3. (184x44) The cane creek db air fits, but is a little more pricey

·
Registered
11,846 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Highly recommend it.
+1. Exact same experience for me on both a late model Turner Sultan and a 2018 Pivot Mach 429 Trail. The McLeod turned them both into completely different bikes, different for the better!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.