Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a south bay rider who is often near skeggs these days. I'm looking to do a skeggs route/ride that takes under 3 hours. I ride pretty slow up hill but have pretty good endurance. I come from a FR/DH background. The one time I rode Skeggs it was non stop up, down, up down... I prefer doing continuous down then up if that's possible. If you guys could recommend some routes for Skeggs that would be great.

I'm aware of a few other trails in the area, but want to explore and ride skeggs again.

Happy Riding!

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, you're not going to get anything remotely close to what you're looking for. Skeggs is very XC....flowy, but definitely nothing really exciting or technical as far as DH goes. As Ryan G. said, Resolution>El Corte De Madera> N. Leaf would be the longest downhill segment but it's not all down....lots of pedalling and climbing in between ( particularly El Corte De Madera), but IMO it's worth it to do N. Leaf. The climb from the bottom (up Methuselah) is a grind.

Take a look at a post I submitted a few weeks ago: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/skeggs-suggestions-736224-post8419106.html#poststop

BTW: Where do you normally ride? It'll give me some perspective.....but unfortunately, nothing within 25 mi of Skeggs is any better. Actually, you might want to check out Pacifica. "Crack" and "Boy Scouts" may be what you're looking for. Not much info on MTBR though, but you can google it and there are some vids and info that might help you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another one to consider is manzanita-->timberview-->giant salamander--virtually all down. Climb out via north leaf and resolution (kind of the opposite direction of what others've proposed). To make it closer to 3 hours, I'd mix in blue blossom beforehand.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
From Skeggs Point I love Sierra Morena to Skyline to Bear Gulch Road to Blue Blossom (all generally down) crosscut/cross over (up and steep but only a mile or so) down to Giant Salamander and Methusula (long flowy downhill) but then its a long climb back out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! I usually ride in santa cruz, then braille/demo. For local a longer climby ride I'll ride from kennedy parking lot in los gatos, go up that, then take overgrown/limekiln down. Sounds like a gravity dropper seatpost would be pretty useful.
>I'll look into Pacifica also

·
just ride
779 Posts
Hello, I'm a south bay rider who is often near skeggs these days. I'm looking to do a skeggs route/ride that takes under 3 hours. I ride pretty slow up hill but have pretty good endurance. I come from a FR/DH background. The one time I rode Skeggs it was non stop up, down, up down... I prefer doing continuous down then up if that's possible. If you guys could recommend some routes for Skeggs that would be great.

I'm aware of a few other trails in the area, but want to explore and ride skeggs again.

Happy Riding!
Hi,

I go to skeggs a lot myself but the only part of the trail that your would probably enjoy is the FIR. It has a pretty steep descend and few bumps to where you can catch some air but just watch out for other riders climbing up or parked & also for the rangers...

Why not just hit up Demo? I just recently started going there and for few weeks, we have been going there on the weekends. If you're bored with that trail, use a Hardtail. It makes the ride very interesting. Also, its a oneway, no ranger clocking in ur speed & hikers that wont move out of the way. The climb is very easy too just like skeggs or maybe even easier.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
You could park in back near CM08, ride the road back to CM01 or CM02 and ride (mostly downhill) dirt back to the car. It will all be XC riding and even though it's mostly downhill, there still be a fair amount of climbing.

pm me if you want more Pacifica info.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just do a run down Lawrence Creek to Virgina Mill to the creek, then back up.
+1

If there is one bomb at Skeggs, it's down Lawrence Creek & Virginia Mill to the Jurassic Park bridge. It's 99% downhill all the way to the bottom of the park. Incredibly fast with great sight lines. Nothing technical, strictly xc, & the climb out is long. Did I say wicked fast? When I'm in the mood to bomb, that's where I go.

String it together by going down all of Sierra Morena first, then Bear Gulch Rd to the CM05 entrance. Turn left a few hundred yards after entering the CM05 entrance, so you don't end up bombing down Spring Board. Hmm... might have to do a perimeter ride on Monday.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
+1

If there is one bomb at Skeggs, it's down Lawrence Creek & Virginia Mill to the Jurassic Park bridge. It's 99% downhill all the way to the bottom of the park. Incredibly fast with great sight lines. Nothing technical, strictly xc, & the climb out is long. Did I say wicked fast? When I'm in the mood to bomb, that's where I go.

String it together by going down all of Sierra Morena first, then Bear Gulch Rd to the CM05 entrance. Turn left a few hundred yards after entering the CM05 entrance, so you don't end up bombing down Spring Board. Hmm... might have to do a perimeter ride on Monday.
Actually the best downhill was Private Reserve to Clapping Monkey to Roller Coaster to Challenger to Manicure to Commitment to Sam Miller to the Lower Crossing which was at an elevation of approximately 600 feet. At the Crossing you would have had to wipe the smile off your face and start your climb to CMO10.

I know I am living in the past. Sometimes the past was better than current times or maybe the future. Riding at Skeggs has always been special and hopefully it will continue to be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1

This is the one.

p.s.: there's a single jump right before jurassic park bridge that is new.

·
formerly Gobike69
346 Posts
Actually the best downhill was Private Reserve to Clapping Monkey to Roller Coaster to Challenger to Manicure to Commitment to Sam Miller to the Lower Crossing which was at an elevation of approximately 600 feet. At the Crossing you would have had to wipe the smile off your face and start your climb to CMO10.

I know I am living in the past. Sometimes the past was better than current times or maybe the future. Riding at Skeggs has always been special and hopefully it will continue to be.
You're speaking in dead languages ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can see that segment I was talking about here.

Bike Ride Profile | Exploring Skeggs near Redwood City | Times and Records | Strava

The downhill portion starts at Bear Gulch at around 10 miles and ends around 13.5. Even as a newb I averaged almost 15 MPH on the DH on a hardtail.

Another wicked DH there would be the "end" of Gordon Mill, coming from Giant Salamander. It is called "The Wall" climb coming from the opposite direction. Some ups and downs to get there from Star Hill Rd, but a pretty decent bomb I would think (I walked up it). It is a bit less than a mile long though.

You can see it as an uphill at about 10 miles.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Exploring Skeggs from the bottom near Redwood City | Times and Records | Strava

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.