Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to the Palo Alto area and have ridden Skeggs a couple times, both times I started at the vista point and rode some sweet single track until I ended up at the opposite side of the park and ended then up riding 3 miles of fire roads back (Timberview and Methuselah trails). I am sure there are some better ways back, I just don't know what they are...

So what is everybody favorite loop at skeggs? I would be interested to hear the best long loop and the best short (ie 1hr) loop.

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
See maps for short and big loop....

Short loop:
vista parking lot, fir, resolution, tafoni, fir, manzanita, timberview, methuselah, fir back to parking lot

Big loop:
vista parking lot, tafoni, fir, resolution, ecdm, north leaf, methuselah, connector to south leaf, south leaf, virginia mill, lawrence creek, blue blossom, steam donkey, gordon mill, crossover, crosscut, timberview, manzanita, fir back to parking lot

Didn't really have anything else than mspaint to draw on the maps, so the results look accordingly (but hey...it got the job done and still better than no visuals).

Have fun....Skeggs is a great place to ride!

Attachments

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Seems like you don't like/prefer the FR climbs. If not, climb back up Resolution/N. Leaf but that would also be the "funnest" way down if you go to that side of the park.

There is not a lot of extended singletrack climbing at Skeggs. Sierra Morena is a good singletrack trail but it's really not climbing nor descending....more rolling. Most of the climbing is done on FR (Meth,Gordon Mill, Timberview, Spring Board). These give you access to a lot of the singletrack DH at Skeggs. If you like singletrack climbing, then you have to go back up the way you went down pretty much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im reviving this for a quick question.
which trail is the most technical section of Skeggs?

·
Registered
607 Posts
technical for climbing or descending? I dont climb so i'll address the later: Steam Donkey is the most tech i think...the upper part has the '3 biotches' which are 3 short steep climbs. Other than that it's a rocky fun ride down. Manzanita but u never know who's climbing up around blind corners. Blue Blossom...the most fun single track there (aside from my stint with rangers there for 'speeding') imo.

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Question

Quick somewhat off topic Skeggs question: are the trails well signed out there?

I haven't ridden out there in ages, but I seem to remember that there were signs. Thinking of re-acquainting myself with Skeggs today. . .but didn't want to end up frustrated and lost of there aren't signs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
sciencegeek said:
I've cleared everything in the park (though certainly not every time) except a couple of the climbs on SL going North.
You've been able to make the Fir trail uphill starting from Methuselah... U r definitively my hero :-o

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
headed out to skeggs in an hour- the loop from my house will be;

enter CM05, blue blossom, crossover/crosscut, up timberview, up manzanita, fir, down resolution, up ecdm, down north leaf, south leaf, out to star hill road at CM10, back in at the new south leaf connector (between CM10 and CM08- guess that means its CM09) to north leaf, back to ecdm and down to confluence resolutino, then up ecdm to CM01, sierra morena, out to skyline at CM04, bear gulch, home!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pretty much most of the trails are cleanable in the DH direction. There's a hairy spot on Manzanita going in the uphill direction that gets me every time. Maybe next time I'll just have to turn around after a dab and try again until I clean it.

That way I can safely say I've cleaned Manzanita.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Manzanita's rock garden, both going down and going up it.
Cool... Im getting totally hot right now! JK
Thanks Ill be heading up Manzinita for sure. I love the rocky climbs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
jervana said:
Pretty much most of the trails are cleanable in the DH direction. There's a hairy spot on Manzanita going in the uphill direction that gets me every time. Maybe next time I'll just have to turn around after a dab and try again until I clean it.

That way I can safely say I've cleaned Manzanita.:thumbsup:
my nemesis is the right turn with the big root about 1/3 of the way down resolution...

·
Registered
109 Posts
doctapow said:
my nemesis is the right turn with the big root about 1/3 of the way down resolution...
Oh, you mean the rocky outcrop where if you stop in the middle of it you have a good chance of falling over the edge and doing the splits while struggling to hold onto the bike. :madman:

Ya, that's a doozy too. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.