Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Michigan guy here who is flying out on Friday (20th) and staying until Monday (23rd) in Queen Valley. My stepdad is already out there with the motorhome and all of our bikes/gear. Looking for some nice singletrack/cross country style of trails to ride in the area. I would consider my riding ability on a scale of 1-10 to be a 4, so nothing too extreme, please. Some of the places my stepdad had mentioned were Papago Park, Desert Classic and Fountain I believe. He also mentioned Red Canyon, but said it might be a little much for my riding level.

Anyway, any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
'02 Rocky Mountain ETSX-50

·
Registered
546 Posts
grtpmkn said:
Hello! Michigan guy here who is flying out on Friday (20th) and staying until Monday (23rd) in Queen Valley. My stepdad is already out there with the motorhome and all of our bikes/gear. Looking for some nice singletrack/cross country style of trails to ride in the area. I would consider my riding ability on a scale of 1-10 to be a 4, so nothing too extreme, please. Some of the places my stepdad had mentioned were Papago Park, Desert Classic and Fountain I believe. He also mentioned Red Canyon, but said it might be a little much for my riding level.

Anyway, any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
'02 Rocky Mountain ETSX-50
Hi, I'm not sure, but you might have some names wrong, possibly Queen Creek? If so, some of the places you mention would be good. I think Fountain must refer to Mcdowell Mountain Park, which is just past Fountain Hills. That would be good, there are 4 main things to ride there, Pemberton, which is about 16 miles, not tech at all, nice ride though. There are some pics of the trail that's been posted, I even posted some back about a week ago or so, says MMP pics. There is also 3 competitive tracks there, the long, sport, and technical. About 8, 5, and 3 miles respectively. Papago is pretty easy, might get boring for you. Desert Classic, on South Mountain, would be good, but can get somewhat busy on a weekend. Red Canyon might refer to Red Mountain, or Hawes area. If you rate yourself as a 4, you could ride there for sure, just as long as you know your limitations. There are several trails, you just connect the ones you want to ride. Do a search on the Arizona forum for Hawes. Actually there is a rider here, epicrider, who posted a link to some great maps, I stumbled on his link doing a search for Twisted Sister, which is a trail out at Hawes. Under that, he has posted some great maps on a link.
Mike

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
Hi, I'm not sure, but you might have some names wrong, possibly Queen Creek?
Mike
Hey Mike, Actually I think Queen Valley is South of Gold Canyon. Small little town. And I agree, Hawes loop would be a good ride. Awesome scenery! Take a camera with you Grtpmkn, you wont be disapointed. And don't mind the coyotes howling they leave you alone. :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Konapdlr said:
Hey Mike, Actually I think Queen Valley is South of Gold Canyon. Small little town. And I agree, Hawes loop would be a good ride. Awesome scenery! Take a camera with you Grtpmkn, you wont be disapointed. And don't mind the coyotes howling they leave you alone. :D
This is quite possible, if so, it would still be near Queen Creek, and the same apply. In on the 20th and out on the 23rd? Depending on what time you get in, and how much time you can ride, that will determine where you go. If you can, just for the sake if it, I would say that if you can't ride the first day amd last day, but unlimited the other 2, ride MMP by Fountain Hills the 21st, then ride Hawes the 22nd. You can do pretty much full days at both. Should be great weather! You'll be in for a great time!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick replies, guys! I tried to do searches for what I was looking for, but still didn't find what I was hoping for so I thought I would ask.

Yeah, Queen Valley is off of Hwy 60, about 10-12 miles east of Apache Junction. My stepdad went out there last year with a friend of his (who ended up picking up a new Titus Moto-lite at Rage Cycles). He was telling me some trail names over the cell phone, so I might have messed the names up a bit.

I wish I had more time to stay out there, but vacation time is very limited. I also plan to do some sportbike riding (motorcycles) while I'm out there, so I have to figure that into my schedule as well. If I can get a good 2-3 hour ride in each morning and go motorcycle ride in the afternoons, I'd be tickled pink (remember, I'm in Michigan and haven't been on the trails since late October, early November).

Again, I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions that will help me make my vacation a good one to remember. And yes, I will definitely bring my digital camera along! ;)

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
grtpmkn said:
My stepdad went out there last year with a friend of his (who ended up picking up a new Titus Moto-lite at Rage Cycles).
Moto-lite? Man I would NEVER get one of those! :D Definitly not a grey one!
Just kidding.... :p

Hey have fun while your here and enjoy the riding!

·
Registered
546 Posts
grtpmkn said:
Wow, thanks for the quick replies, guys! I tried to do searches for what I was looking for, but still didn't find what I was hoping for so I thought I would ask.

Yeah, Queen Valley is off of Hwy 60, about 10-12 miles east of Apache Junction. My stepdad went out there last year with a friend of his (who ended up picking up a new Titus Moto-lite at Rage Cycles). He was telling me some trail names over the cell phone, so I might have messed the names up a bit.

I wish I had more time to stay out there, but vacation time is very limited. I also plan to do some sportbike riding (motorcycles) while I'm out there, so I have to figure that into my schedule as well. If I can get a good 2-3 hour ride in each morning and go motorcycle ride in the afternoons, I'd be tickled pink (remember, I'm in Michigan and haven't been on the trails since late October, early November).

Again, I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions that will help me make my vacation a good one to remember. And yes, I will definitely bring my digital camera along! ;)
OK, that gives a good idea of your time, I still would say MMP Sat., and Hawes Sun. You can get a good taste in about 3 hrs each day. From you, South Mountain/Desert Classic too far, same with Papago, and that you wouldn't have as much fun. After riding this time of year here, you'll be job-hunting out here, I'll bet! ;)

·
EDR
10,578 Posts
bike=good said:
I haven't been out there yet and I've heard you should park your car at the walgreen's...anyone ever get ticketed or worse?
Walgreens is fine, lots of people park in the back. You can also ride North on Power RD. about a 1mile and park on the West side of the road at the canal. This is legal and lots do it. The drop in to the trail head is just across the highway and down the hill a 100 ft or so.

OR...you can just park at my house and ride from there, its about a mile to the trial head, haha...

Take a camera, its beautiful scenery

·
Registered
546 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Walgreens is fine, lots of people park in the back. You can also ride North on Power RD. about a 1mile and park on the West side of the road at the canal. This is legal and lots do it. The drop in to the trail head is just across the highway and down the hill a 100 ft or so.

OR...you can just park at my house and ride from there, its about a mile to the trial head, haha...

Take a camera, its beautiful scenery
The canal parking is where I always go, never had a problem there. Actually, going there tomorrow,,, anyone else?

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
HA! Dark charcoal grey? ;) :p
Please tell me those picks are from when it was new? It looks way to clean and perty! :p

I would have been at Hawes today but, had a meeting to attend. Hopefully tommorrow after work....taking the SS again. I'm hooked!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Konapdlr said:
Please tell me those picks are from when it was new? It looks way to clean and perty! :p

I would have been at Hawes today but, had a meeting to attend. Hopefully tommorrow after work....taking the SS again. I'm hooked!
Pics were taken Aug., the day I brought it home. Ah, I remember those days, 15 yrs, 6 months ago, when our daughter came home,,,, juts kidding! That was a better feeling, however, now this is it! Hawes tomorrow, leaving here about 9:30, should be on the trail by about 10 or a little after.

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
Pics were taken Aug., the day I brought it home. Ah, I remember those days, 15 yrs, 6 months ago, when our daughter came home,,,, juts kidding! That was a better feeling, however, now this is it! Hawes tomorrow, leaving here about 9:30, should be on the trail by about 10 or a little after.
I wont be there until 3:30-4:00...IF and that is a big IF I get off work in time. Have fun out there should be great riding weather.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again gang! I'm gonna print out this thread and include it with my maps to the trailheads that you guys suggested above. Keep your eyes open if you are out there this weekend for a 37-year old guy on a gray Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 and a 62-year old guy on a blue Cannondale Scalpel 3000. I'll be the younger of the two with ghost white legs.

Next week sometime I'll have to post up an "after ride" report and let ya know what I thought of everything (and if I went house shopping and job hunting :D ).

Thanks again,
Scott

PS: Keep my user name in hand and if you EVER need suggestions or info about riding in Michigan. I'd be glad to return the favor. ;)

·
EDR
10,578 Posts
grtpmkn said:
Thanks again gang! I'm gonna print out this thread and include it with my maps to the trailheads that you guys suggested above. Keep your eyes open if you are out there this weekend for a 37-year old guy on a gray Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 and a 62-year old guy on a blue Cannondale Scalpel 3000. I'll be the younger of the two with ghost white legs.

Next week sometime I'll have to post up an "after ride" report and let ya know what I thought of everything (and if I went house shopping and job hunting :D ).

Thanks again,
Scott

PS: Keep my user name in hand and if you EVER need suggestions or info about riding in Michigan. I'd be glad to return the favor. ;)
I'm shooting for Friday at Hawes, fyi. Still up in the air as to what time, may not be till 1 or 2pm, pm me if your interested. I'm no super rider, just like to have fun. The trails a hawes are not really marked so a guide is always nice the first time out, but not needed.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
scott, i'm a 4-5 xc rider like you and hawes is fun but a bit tricky in places. more experienced riders forget that what's a piece of cake for them might be scary for us folk. out there i've ridden (only once) the mine loop and twisted sister. both were way too technical and scary for me.
this saturday, the 21st, another lady and i are going to ride at mmp. we will do the sports loop and the long loop at the competitive tracks. if you and step-dad would like to join us that'll be great. i can bring you a detailed map of hawes and show you which trails are more "our speed".
to get to mmp, head to fountain hills. take saguaro blvd till it deadends on fnt hills blvd. go right and follow the road out of town for ~4 or 5 miles. you'll see the entrance to the park on your left. there's a $5 entrance fee. the comp tracks are the first parking lot on the left.
if you come, let me know what you drive so we can find each other.

btw, papago is not boring if you know where to go. the area behind the dirt jumps is fun.
looking fwd to hearing from you. if not enjoy the phoenix area; it's really great! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
eatdrinkride said:
I'm shooting for Friday at Hawes, fyi. Still up in the air as to what time, may not be till 1 or 2pm, pm me if your interested. I'm no super rider, just like to have fun. The trails a hawes are not really marked so a guide is always nice the first time out, but not needed.
I'd be very interested, but my plane doesn't get in to the airport until 1:00ish. I haven't had a chance to talk with my stepdad either, but if you plan on hitting there at a later time or day, just let me know. I'll be able to check the boards until Thursday 8:00pm your time, so if you want to PM me your contact info, that would be great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kaboose said:
scott, i'm a 4-5 xc rider like you and hawes is fun but a bit tricky in places. more experienced riders forget that what's a piece of cake for them might be scary for us folk. out there i've ridden (only once) the mine loop and twisted sister. both were way too technical and scary for me.
this saturday, the 21st, another lady and i are going to ride at mmp. we will do the sports loop and the long loop at the competitive tracks. if you and step-dad would like to join us that'll be great. i can bring you a detailed map of hawes and show you which trails are more "our speed".
to get to mmp, head to fountain hills. take saguaro blvd till it deadends on fnt hills blvd. go right and follow the road out of town for ~4 or 5 miles. you'll see the entrance to the park on your left. there's a $5 entrance fee. the comp tracks are the first parking lot on the left.
if you come, let me know what you drive so we can find each other.

btw, papago is not boring if you know where to go. the area behind the dirt jumps is fun.
looking fwd to hearing from you. if not enjoy the phoenix area; it's really great! :)
Yes, that sounds like my type of ride ;) . What time were you looking to head out there on Saturday? I think I'd like to try and do Papago as well while I'm out there, just depends on the time I have available. For me, anything to do with riding during the winter should not be boring.

I haven't had a chance to talk with my stepdad yet, but I'm sure he would be game. I'll be able to check the message boards here until Thursday 8:00pm your time, so if you want to PM me your contact info, that would be great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.