Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
the fat kid
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started planning a trip aka vacation and have my heart set on NZ. I am looking for the best areas to ride during my visit. Where are all the hot spots??

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Vegas is the shizzle! Been there for 6 month back in '02-'03. Riding at least 4 times a week. Even worked at a bike shop. Great riding, great local crew, good for drinks. And if your keen for some evening company, I presume the "kiwibus" still comes by ;-)

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Back then the kiwibus was a bus driving the partying tourists who were not buying/renting a van round the 2 islands, big green bus.. The word with the local boys was that the tourist girls in the bus were "easy" company... My then girlfriend (now wife) was with me, so I was a nice boy ;-) Have fun, I really mis the place. Make sure to get a coffee and cake at Zippy's

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
Gearhead,

I have ridden the North Island many times and it is true that Rotorua is a given place to ride. You could also check out Craters of the Moon at Taupo only 70kms from Vegas.

Another great place is Wellingtons Makara Peak and Mt Victoria only 2k's from town.

As for the South Island there are many perfect venues such as Queenstown, there is weeks worth of riding there with the 98' world cup course and heli biking at your finger tips. Check out Vertigo Bikes in town for day tours and helpful info if your out on your own exploring. I would also recommend Nelson at the top end of the South Is, the weather there is always preemo and theres butt loads of riding to do there. The Exec's from Sram dedicate 2 or more weeks a year riding Nelsons trails.

Edge track at Craigieburn, Arthurs Pass had me on the edge of my seat, you will love it! Snow Farm at Cardrona was an amazing 1.5 hour descent all in open country, a must do.

There are other incredible places to ride and you can find them all in the "Kennett Brothers Book" titled " New Zealand's Classic Mtb Rides". This book has over 300 rides marked in it with everything you need to know from how long, how hard, and how much fun the ride is as well as what clothes to take etc. It covers full topographic elevation charts with full directions from start to end. Its a must have bible of mtbing in NZ and no tourist should be without it!

The locals are a great help and are more than willing to point you in the right direction, invite you to dinner and share their favourite trails with you.

Im heading back over in 4 weeks, cant wait!

Hope you have a great trip:thumbsup:

·
the fat kid
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, thats great info man... I appreciate sharing! I will keep tabs on this thread for when i start to make an itinerary. I dont have a date planned yet, so figuring out when the best time of the year to go is on my to-do list as well.

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
Best time to go is in March, the first day of the month is the first day of off peak, everything is nearly half as cheap as Feb.

Temps are roughly 22deg C in the North Island during the day and 18ish in the South Island. Either way you only riding in a short sleeve shirt unless your scaling a huge mountain in which case take a wind stopper until you get back down again.

·
ride better, ride faster
183 Posts
Yup, i agree with the March comment. With the weather, be prepared for 4 seasons in one day. Being a small land mass in the middle of a large ocean means we can go from a hot summers day (35 deg) down to almost snowing in the space of 30 mins sometimes!!

For more bloggage of epic south island single track have a look on my blog too.

https://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/

We often go on trips where we carry for an hour or two to get to some great singletrack downhills

like this
https://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/last-of-the-summer-mountain-biking/

and this
https://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/awesome-winter-curd-biking-mission/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.