Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best choice for a single speed tensioner? I want to try out single speeding before I actually go out and buy a bike so I'd like to convert my Ragley first and try it that way. I had heard about the Soulcraft Convert but it seems to no longer be made.

Anyone tried this. It looks pretty simple.
https://www.blackspire.com/product/stinger-double-ring-chain-tensioner/

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
I tried a Blackspire at one point. I could not get the roller to line up right because I was using a 2x crankset with a single ring bolted on. Be sure the cranks you're using as designed with the same chainline for which the Stinger was designed.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a Blackspire at one point. I could not get the roller to line up right because I was using a 2x crankset with a single ring bolted on. Be sure the cranks you're using as designed with the same chainline for which the Stinger was designed.
Oh that might be a problem for me. I am doing the same.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
If you don't mind a derailleur hanger mounted one, the Paul melvin has been the best one I've ever used. I haven't used the blackspire so can't comment on it specifically.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
I've said this before and I'll apologize if I'm sounding like a broken record... The best tensioner does not rely on spring tension to take up the slack. Check out the Soulcraft Convert, if you can find one. They mount to the derailler hanger and index into place with a retractable pin.

Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Spoke

Used in the push up position, you can get exactly the tension that you need and they are set and forget. To remove the wheel, pull the pin and swing it out of the way.

Here's the problem... Soulcraft discontinued them a few years back and they are getting hard to find. They do turn up once in awhile though. I picked both of mine up on Ebay for $50

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am amazed that no one makes something like that Soulcraft Convert that doesn't need a spring and will fit on a thru axle frame.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've said this before and I'll apologize if I'm sounding like a broken record... The best tensioner does not rely on spring tension to take up the slack. Check out the Soulcraft Convert, if you can find one. They mount to the derailler hanger and index into place with a retractable pin.

View attachment 1269821

Used in the push up position, you can get exactly the tension that you need and they are set and forget. To remove the wheel, pull the pin and swing it out of the way.

Here's the problem... Soulcraft discontinued them a few years back and they are getting hard to find. They do turn up once in awhile though. I picked both of mine up on Ebay for $50
This is truth! I have one and it is indeed the best.
Homegrown?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Been using the XC version of the Rohloff on my canfield riot SS, chain growth was large but man what a pedaler, have yet to lose traction standing, which I cant say for my hardtail SS bikes with same wheelset. Downside it needs 55-58mm chainline but it'll take up to 21t cpg not many will do that easily. Had to flip my raceface direct mount to get a 57mm chainline all good. The DH version has a normal chainline but limited cog capability and repotedly a right ***** to remove wheel without removing tensioner. Downside, no clutch mech needs a chainstay protector. So far flawless

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I used one of these on a project bike years ago and never had any complaints.

https://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollenlager.html
I've had the Rennen Rollenlager on a bike for ... many moons. The roller is finally on its last legs. Not sure if a replacement is available. I'll need something sooner or later.

My other bike has a Blackspire Stinger on ISCG 05. The crank is Shimano Saint that came to me as a single and bash - but there's threads for a granny ring too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.