Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been into MTB long enough to have ever gone to a Sea Otter before, but I'm really interested in going this year. I live in Santa Cruz so I was thinking I would drive down for one of the four days.

I don't have any friends who want to go, so it seems silly for me to go for more than one day, and I'm too out of shape to ride any of the events myself- I'll be purely a spectator. My main interests will be meeting some cool people, seeing/getting some cool MTB shwag, and watching some cool events/races, in other words generally hanging out.

My question is, what is the best single day overall for a spectator/expo attendee to attend? Saturday or Sunday are the obvious two choices I guess. However, I've noticed with lots of other expo-type events for other things (food/beer festivals, other hobbies) that some times on the last day of a multi-day event everyone is burned out and the vendor booths are all out of stock and everything is kind of the aftermath- is this true of sea otter on sunday as well?

Any other advice for the first time sea otter attendee is greatly appreciated!

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Pyramid said:
Saturday or Sunday are the obvious two choices I guess. However, I've noticed with lots of other expo-type events for other things (food/beer festivals, other hobbies) that some times on the last day of a multi-day event everyone is burned out and the vendor booths are all out of stock and everything is kind of the aftermath- is this true of sea otter on sunday as well?
sounds like you answered your own question!

Sat/Sun: expect traffic, crowds, and lines for food. You also get to watch the pros do the actual races, including the fan fav. jump competition.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gobike said:
sounds like you answered your own question!

Sat/Sun: expect traffic, crowds, and lines for food. You also get to watch the pros do the actual races, including the fan fav. jump competition.

Well, yes I narrowed it down, my question was if one day or the other is noticably more exciting. I can come either day, I just want to come on the "best" day.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Pyramid said:
Well, yes I narrowed it down, my question was if one day or the other is noticably more exciting. I can come either day, I just want to come on the "best" day.
More Dirt Jump, Mountain X, and Duel Slalom spectacular stuff on Saturday. XC is like watching grass grow unless you know someone racing. They have practice or finals for everything on Saturday. Sunday only has finals for some things. Check the schedule on the Sea Otter web site and print a map out.

Get there before 10AM on weekend days to avoid an hour plus long line of cars to get in.

- ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.