Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am using a Planet Bike shock pump. It's not bad, but tends to leak out air when I disconnect it. That makes fine tuning the shock (and particularily the bottom out control) very difficult.

Any recommendations on a new pump?

Thanks

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
What you might be experiencing...

ALL shock pumps "leak" air when disconected! It's just the back pressure in the hose that you hear.

Also when you put the pump on the shock it'll lose some pressure as the air fills the hose up again. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not if you put enough pressure (appx. the same as in shock - but you have to assume what is current pressure in it) before engaging valve. For example, topeak pump uses such system, you attach the hose, but then you have to turn in needle to engage the valve (some others have similar system as well).

With little practice, I can repeatedly attach/detach shock pump w/o loosing much pressure (maybe 0.5-1 psi per attach, if that).

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
blcman is right, You are not losing any air from the shock when you disconnect the pump. What you hear is the air that is in the shock pump escaping. The reason you see a small drop in pressure when you reattach the pump is because it takes a small amount of air to refill the hose. You can tell thats what happens because its the same amount of air every time(usually around 5psi). If you were loosing pressure from the shock, it would be a random amount every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.