Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. Help educate me please. I've been riding for a long time. never spent more than a grand on a bike. i'm 39, have a Novara Ponderosa 29er that i love. my issue is my junk. i ride some rough mountains and i commute to work on my bike. my rides range anywhere from 8-30 miles with a few longer rides scheduled. my junk gets numb. flat out. i've adjusted my seat so it's not as bad, but it still happens sometimes. is there any difference between a road saddle and a mountain saddle? is there such a thing? i don't mind spending a bit on a saddle if it will save my works, so to speak. i'd like to keep it under $150 on the high end but would prefer to keep it at $100 or less. I don't race anyone other than myself or my buddies so extreme weight savings is not an issue.
i'm been looking at Selle San Marco SKN on the low end and Selle SMP Evolution on the high end.

any thoughts you could give would be great.

·
Fat boy Mod
2,381 Posts
trial and error...

bike shorts make a big difference... but saddle fit is very personal... one saddle is perfect for one person while horrid for another... you need to have the weight on your sit bones... and every body is slightly different...

i just dropped some money on a brooks b17 for my road bike... we'll see how that works out... who knows it may end up on a MTB... but right now the stock velo that came on my redline is my saddle of choice (sitting on my surly)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Honestly, the most comfortable saddle I have rode on in many years (and are now on both my 29er and my Road Bike) is a Velo made saddle. Sette (Price Point) Sonic was one, but they are no longer offering those. But Nashbar has the same saddle called the Glide...and its $20. I got that one for my 29er now.

The funny thing is I paid $80 for a WTB Shadow last year and that thing abused my a$$ so bad that I had to quit during a ride. Fortunately I was able to return it...and as it turns out a much cheaper saddle fits my backside well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Brooks all the way!

I had a WTB Silverado on my Niner since day 1, and have done plenty of distance on it, both trail and road. Ass got royally wasted on a recent long ride, so changed to a Brooks Swift. There is NO comparison. Even straight out of the box (some break-in time is to be expected with a leather saddle) it is great. Tried a B-17 but found it a bit too wide for me to reasonably get behind the saddle for steep descents.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Most people probably dont look at the big manufactures after market products, but I got to tell you the specialized rival saddle is really really comfy. i have never had anyone tell me other wise.

·
Registered
237 Posts
heythorp said:
Most people probably dont look at the big manufactures after market products, but I got to tell you the specialized rival saddle is really really comfy. i have never had anyone tell me other wise.

Perhaps I'm buying into the "Body Geometry" marketing, but I really like all of their aftermarket products I've tried, including shoes, gloves, saddles, and bar tape.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
justinb said:
Perhaps I'm buying into the "Body Geometry" marketing, but I really like all of their aftermarket products I've tried, including shoes, gloves, saddles, and bar tape.

Most likely, like me (although perhaps not) you probably are a long time customer of a Specialized shop and have ridden their bikes.

I don't know If I would have ever been turned onto their after market products as much as I am because of my association with my shop and riding their bikes for 15 years.

Shoes are fantastically comfortable!!!!
And their sole inserts do work.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
heythorp said:
Yep, I have only ever heard good things about both the Specialized Phenom and Bontrager Inform saddles from people who have actually ridden them. Both are available in multiple widths too

·
Registered
875 Posts
davelexipct said:
I had a WTB Silverado on my Niner since day 1, and have done plenty of distance on it, both trail and road. Ass got royally wasted on a recent long ride, so changed to a Brooks Swift. There is NO comparison. Even straight out of the box (some break-in time is to be expected with a leather saddle) it is great. Tried a B-17 but found it a bit too wide for me to reasonably get behind the saddle for steep descents.
Darn, you beat me. I think there's an unwritten rule on the mtbr that whenever someone starts a thread on saddles, someone has to suggest a Brooks. ;)

But seriously, Mr. OP - get a Brooks! No better solution for numb junk. My guess is that if you are rocking a Ponderosa, you're probably not a weight weenie.

·
Fat boy Mod
2,381 Posts
bolandjd said:
Darn, you beat me. I think there's an unwritten rule on the mtbr that whenever someone starts a thread on saddles, someone has to suggest a Brooks. ;)
which is prob why I just ordered a brooks... if It works out for me on the road i'll prob try it out on the MTB

·
Registered
787 Posts
i've had many different saddles over the years. the one that has risen to the top is the selle italia NT1. it is listed as a triathlon seat, but very comfortable. it also comes in a higher end version the SLR T1. i have both versions on all of my bikes. the NT1 is about $55-$65 and the SLR T1 is more pricey at bout $125-$135.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Been on many saddles over the years, and was on Flites for years. Hooked up w/ my girlfriend (now wife of 9 yrs) and realized my package wasn't happy after rides.

Switched around a bit and landed on Specialized's BG design. Originally tried the Alias and sort of liked it. Tried the Toupe on the road bike and it was WAY too hard for my bony ass. Now have Avatars on both bikes and they are great. The design works for me and it was just a matter of finding the right padding level. I haven't tried the Phenom.

I agree on SOME of their components. Love the saddles, love the shoes (road and mtn), absolutely HATE the gloves! I didn't know I even had ulnar nerves until I got the gloves that are supposed to relieve pressure on them. OUCH! How exactly do they think they relieve pressure by adding more padding? Isn't extra thickness going to increase pressure? I am happy w/ PI's shorty gloves (Pittard's whatever). I have yet to find long finger gloves I truly like for my long ET fingers.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
The old timers like myself love the discontinued, and now resurected, SST. Not perfect, but the best I've found yet and I've tried dozens.

Specialized BG saddles feel great on the sit bones and taint, but will the back edge is sharp, and should you slide off the back on a steep downhill, it'll tear at your cob.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
[QUOTE
The funny thing is I paid $80 for a WTB Shadow last year and that thing abused my a$$ so bad that I had to quit during a ride. Fortunately I was able to return it...and as it turns out a much cheaper saddle fits my backside well.[/QUOTE]

Could this mean you are a cheap a$$?

Sorry but I could not resist-

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I get along well with the Bontrager Inform and Specialized Phenom. Both Bonty and Specy have butt-o-meters which can give you a good gauge on the width of your sit bones. Once you know that - they have saddles with multiple widths - been in heaven since getting the right width.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
MTB version of Toupe. Did not do good on the road bike , but can stand it very well on the MTB. Shows you the importance of changing around.
Nashbar saddles seem great buys if you get the right one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have San Marco Rolls on my MTB and Regal on my road bike and love them both. Those and the Brooks are about the most popular saddles around for good reason. Plenty of fashion statements out there and plenty of sore arses to go with them. It's amazing what people will put up with.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts