Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow 50plusers, I've recently been diagnosed with prostatitus and among other lifestyle changes, less beer OMG, a new saddle is in order. The doctors says less riding (but that ain't gonna happen), so I need to do all I can to relieve pressure in the nether region. What saddles get high marks for well seasoned wha-toosies that need some relief?

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
Riding position has a lot to do with what saddle will work best, that said I've heard a lot of good things about SMP saddles in regards to prostate issues. I just switched to a Specialized Phenom and it is pure awesomeness for me.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Just remember (saddle-wise) that which works wonderfully for me may feel like a 2X4 to you.

With that said, my saddle of choice is the Terry Fly (Ti model).

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I can vouch for an older Selle SMP Pro's comfort (on my road bike). Koobi saddles comes to mind too. MTB saddles aren't as temperamental for me for some reason.

Squishy padding is the real culprit in IME. Even with those cut outs or whatever other special design. I've tried my share. Firm, with hardly any padding, as long as it fits my sit bones properly - is where it's at for me. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. YMMV

Oh, and I trade out for a new mtb saddle every year, maybe 2. I wear out the shell and it gets too flexy... I'm 220lbs. (the SMP has lasted for almost 4, which is good 'cause it's pricey)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've found that the more firm the saddle the better. The soft saddles put a lot of pressure in the nether region as you compress down against them. On a side note, the male prostate needs twice as much Zinc compared to other organs. Saw Palmetto(which is high in zinc) and/or Zinc supplementation can help tons!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same problem. I tried the WTB Pure V and Adamo. Settled on the Selle Glider. Very pricey, but it solved my problem. Saddles are so personal that you have to try until you find the right one for you.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Saddles are a subjective topic. i used to do a lot of road riding. Went through countless demos for a saddle that didn't make my junk numb. I've tried specialized, selle smp, selle italia, john cobb, fizik. Finally decided to try a saddle that I perceived would be uncomfortable which was the Fizik Kurve series. I got the bull and the chameleon as demos went home and tried the chameleon on my bike and that was it. The chameleon being flat and wide supported my weight on my sit bones. The lack of thick padding and suspension style design of the saddle did the trick. The Kurve series suspends the saddle on the frame like a hammock. My saddle is only about 8mm thick total. It's two layers of carbon sandwiching a layer of flexible kevlar with minimal padding. Like d365 said too much padding is the culprit. It causes too much soft tissue compression.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Fellow 50plusers, I've recently been diagnosed with prostatitus and among other lifestyle changes, less beer OMG, a new saddle is in order. The doctors says less riding (but that ain't gonna happen), so I need to do all I can to relieve pressure in the nether region. What saddles get high marks for well seasoned wha
I have had prostatitis apparently due to some infection....docs did not say stop riding.

The prostate is way up inside you....note how the docs examine it.

The saddle presses on nerves that is a whole other problem.

Course caution is best. I certainly like and ride cut out, or relieved saddles.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ISM Adamo Breakaway on my bikes.

Been on them for a few years now. Angle adjustment is critical. A degree can make all the difference. No pressure on my soft bits and no numbness.

Everyone is different so good luck.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
ya, I'm 52 and have the same issue - despite being very fit. Like you, the riding "aint' gonna slow down" So...
Anyway, I've always liked the WTB saddles with the cutout and extra padding on the nose of the saddle. I think the Bontrager saddles are good too.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.