Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the consensus is on the best rolling XC tire.

I just got a Prophet 1000 and it came stock with High Rollers. These things are great for bombing down hill, but are tacky, heavy and slow on the flats.

My problem is that my home ride is 5 miles of pavement, then 10 on trail, then 5 back. I'm going to keep the super tacky/heavy Hgh Rollers for when I go on 'real' rides, but what would be the best tire to use for my home training ride?

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
maphead said:
I'm wondering what the consensus is on the best rolling XC tire.

I just got a Prophet 1000 and it came stock with High Rollers. These things are great for bombing down hill, but are tacky, heavy and slow on the flats.

My problem is that my home ride is 5 miles of pavement, then 10 on trail, then 5 back. I'm going to keep the super tacky/heavy Hgh Rollers for when I go on 'real' rides, but what would be the best tire to use for my home training ride?
Are you talking about the tire with the lowest rolling resistance? I think the generally accepted fast rolling champ as accepted over in the weight weenies forum, and based on some data from some German bike magazine, is the Nokian NBX Lite 2.0. I've used them.

Yes, very very fast, particularly on pavement and hardpack. They tend to be slightly lower volume for their size and feel a little harsh as a result. A definite downside for aluminum hardtails on rough terrain. I understand there is a new 2.3 size for the NBX LIte.

Cornering is ok, though not ideal for the loose, rocky terrain here in SoCal. For softer, wetter, tackier trails it's supposed to be great, however.

Climbing, they tend to spin out with about the same frequency as Pythons, which is a lot, and I'm not really impressed with the braking performance.

Weight is excellent at around the 470 gram range. I think the 2.3 is in the high 500s, which is still excellent.

Currently, I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and I'm liking them a lot. I've got the 2.2s, and the volume seems about the same or slightly bigger than Pythons 2.0s, they roll great, and cornering is predictable and wash outs are recoverable. Expensive, though.

If you're not sure, you can't go wrong with Pythons for a higher volume, lower rolling resistance tire. They don't excel at any one thing, but are great all-rounders and, most importantly, they're cheap at $20 bucks at Jenson.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.0/2.25/2.35. VERY fast rolling...
...Now, if you also want durability and braking, cornering and climbing traction on anything other than pavement and clean hardpack...

·
Registered
312 Posts
shiggy said:
Ralph is fast. Fred is faster. I have ridden, and raced, on both.
Hey Shiggy,

How would Fast Freds 2.0 compare to a semislick like Michelin jet s or Maxxis hookworm or Kenda short tracker in rolling resistance and cornering power?

I have a marathon mtb race that has a fair bit of road and fire road that fast tires might be a big advantage. It has some technical single track but I think I can hack it without great grip.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Riding free's the mind
1,012 Posts
Hutchison

As always, I advocate Hutchinson tires for high volume and low rolling resistance. Pythons are very fast rollers.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
GspotRider said:
Hey Shiggy,

How would Fast Freds 2.0 compare to a semislick like Michelin jet s or Maxxis hookworm or Kenda short tracker in rolling resistance and cornering power?

I have a marathon mtb race that has a fair bit of road and fire road that fast tires might be a big advantage. It has some technical single track but I think I can hack it without great grip.

Thanks,
Alan
Of those I have used only the FF. I think you mean Wormdrive rather than Hookworm, too, the Hookworm is a 2.5" 1250g Urban grooved slick.

Tech singletrack could be h3ll on the FF. Think no grip. The Fast Fred works well in its element - hardpack. The 2.35 version is better than the 2.0 for traction. But if there is any loose and/or gravel surfaces forget the FF. The casing are also thinner than some of my road racing tires.

The Racing Ralph is a better tire for hard to intermediate to slightly loose.

My first posts in this thread were an (apparently weak) attempt to point out you can not look at mtb tires in just one dimension. Maybe I should have suggested the Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35. Extremely fast rolling and corners very well - on pavement.

You have to remember that you are not moving very fast if you are fixing a flat or dragging your bike and yourself back onto the trail after a crash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
weight

shiggy said:
Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.0/2.25/2.35. VERY fast rolling...
...Now, if you also want durability and braking, cornering and climbing traction on anything other than pavement and clean hardpack...
What is the weight of the Fast Fred 2.0? I've seen weights claimed from 370 to 470 from different companies.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
ksbiker said:
What is the weight of the Fast Fred 2.0? I've seen weights claimed from 370 to 470 from different companies.
There are four versions of the FF 2.0: Light (368g-actual), Kevlar- MTB belt (450g), RaceGuard (440g) and UST (580g).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all.

Ya, I'm not looking for the absolute lowest rolling resistance- just something that doesn't feel like I'm riding in mud when I hit a long hard flat, but will get me through the single track.

I forgot to mention I need UST, so the pythons at jenson are out.

I did have conti explorers on my old ride and liked them... I see jenson has those in UST... a little pricey though.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
maphead said:
Thanks all.

Ya, I'm not looking for the absolute lowest rolling resistance- just something that doesn't feel like I'm riding in mud when I hit a long hard flat, but will get me through the single track.

I forgot to mention I need UST, so the pythons at jenson are out.

I did have conti explorers on my old ride and liked them... I see jenson has those in UST... a little pricey though.
Whole new discussion (though the FF and RR are available in UST).
Will be back later. I am going riding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts