Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I ride about 50% road and 50% trails. I have Hutchinson Mosquitos (came with bike) and of course they have worn out fast in the center because of the road. Can anyone recommend a good tire for both?

Thanks,

CityRoamer

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
WTB All Terrainasaurus

Better on pavement than most any off road biased mountain bike tire, pretty good off road, not too expensive. Plus, they wear very well.

They are fairly heavy, though.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
CityRoamer said:
Hi,

I ride about 50% road and 50% trails. I have Hutchinson Mosquitos (came with bike) and of course they have worn out fast in the center because of the road. Can anyone recommend a good tire for both?

Thanks,

CityRoamer
Racing Ralph seems to live longer then many of similar performance. They have stronger thread in the middle and roll very fast.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
I used to run the All Terrainasarus in 1.95 and they are a pretty good tire, but I found one I like better. The WTB Nanoraptor in 2.1 rolls every bit was well on pavement with its continous center tread and works better in off road conditions. The 2.1 is a high volume tire and works well on hardpack to slightly loose. It is out of its element in loose conditions and Mud. You might also try the mutanoraptor 2.4 which is slightly larger (really a 2.1 or so tire not a 2.4) and has a more agressive tread than the Nanoraptor while still having a near continuous bead in the middle to roll on.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
CityRoamer said:
Hi,

Thanks,

CityRoamer
Pythons or Nanoraptors. OK for both and more so towards the dirt. Nothing works great for both road and dirt and is long wearing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maxxis

have u thought about something like the maxxis high roller semi slicks? or perhaps something like a maxxis high roller 2.35 in 60a compound on the front and a maxxis high roller 2.35 semislick on the rear? just my 2c :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Value plus performance

CityRoamer said:
Hi,

I ride about 50% road and 50% trails. I have Hutchinson Mosquitos (came with bike) and of course they have worn out fast in the center because of the road. Can anyone recommend a good tire for both?er
If you are looking for the best value tire that wears fairly well, works well on dirt, and rolls fairly well on streets......I think you can look at the Hutchenson Python Airlight
You can buy this tire for $19 each at Jenson Bike online

This tire has tested better in terms of rolling resistance than most tires and still grips fairly good and yet rolls well on pavement.

There are faster tires on both dirt and road, such as the Nokian NBX 2.0 Lite but they cost more and wear out much quicker. I ride the Nokian NBX for performance but they certainly are not as economical.

If you want something with fairly low volume.....with the center tread being fairly smooth but with knobs on the edge and very cheap but which wear fairly well.....look at the Performance Bike store....online Topo FasTrack on sale now for $14.99
However this tire is only a 1.9 so it is not as soft as the Python.

I'd say the Pythons are a good bet for price and performance....
A very very popular tire which has the verified German watts testing results very close to some of the best rolling resistance tires

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.