Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be visiting Agoura Hills, SoCal for a week starting this Friday. The house borders the Santa Monica Mountain park (cheseboro, simi peak, china flats) where I rode the last time I was there. A lot of fireroad climbing and a little boring.

Any recommendations for better rides in the area? Or a website for local group rides?

Any SoCal MTBers interested in riding with me next week? I'll be free every day. I'll supply the mountain cat repellent.

Thanks.

Jess

·
Registered
169 Posts
Whats up Jess? If you want to ride singletrack you have gotta check out Backbone trail at Kanan road. You exit on Kanan road off the 101 freeway towards the ocean, I believe its one exit away from Chessbro exit. Once on Kanan you go past 2 tunnels and when you get to the third tunnel you'll see the trail head on the left just before the 3rd tunnel. This is a popular trail with limited parking so it's best to get there early, also to beat the heat. Once there you will see a trail going west that goes downhill right a way, don't go that way, if you look towards the tunnel you will see a steep rutted trail just to the left of the tunnel thats the starting point. This is a up and down trail thats all single track, about 6 miles one way. Should be plenty of MTBers their to point you in the right direction. Also look at trail review on MTB review for more details. You won't be disappointed. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Addict. I think I've ridden that trail. It was nice but not very technical. Good views. Is that the best in the area, in your opinion?

If you only had a week to live and could only ride one more trail in SoCal, which one would it be? I will have a car to use and don't mind driving a little.

Jess

ADDICT said:
Whats up Jess? If you want to ride singletrack you have gotta check out Backbone trail at Kanan road. You exit on Kanan road off the 101 freeway towards the ocean, I believe its one exit away from Chessbro exit. Once on Kanan you go past 2 tunnels and when you get to the third tunnel you'll see the trail head on the left just before the 3rd tunnel. This is a popular trail with limited parking so it's best to get there early, also to beat the heat. Once there you will see a trail going west that goes downhill right a way, don't go that way, if you look towards the tunnel you will see a steep rutted trail just to the left of the tunnel thats the starting point. This is a up and down trail thats all single track, about 6 miles one way. Should be plenty of MTBers their to point you in the right direction. Also look at trail review on MTB review for more details. You won't be disappointed. :D

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
What do you like?

You didn't try hard enough or ask the right questions. Cheesbro has the most variety in the Santa Monicas from fireroad to technical single track, downhills, and uber hard climbs. When you're around ask about Gas Pipe or Bell Canyon (take lots of water).
(I'm usually around but can't commit yet)

Backbone = boredom interrupted by Posion Oak, Sullivan Canyon, no better than a fireroad.
Backbone to Circle X, seems to be groomed for wheelchairs. Sycamore = fireroad that connects singletrack at Backbone connector and Guadlasco trail.

Want to climb?
http://www.vidivideo.com/movies/cheesebro/dougonrocks.mov

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can't be talking about Backbone at Kanen that trail rocks. It's considered as a advanced trail all singletrack and lots of embeded rocks and changes between tech to flowing. I have many scars on my legs to prove it and I'm a hardcore rider of 10yrs. Now if you want to go a little further up the coast ( Ventura- S.B.) there are many great rides here. I live in Ventura and ride in S.B. all the time and Ojai. Gridly trail in Ojai, now were talking. Gotta go for now but if you want to ride in these areas you won't be disapionted. I know the area well. I'll check back tomorrow, later days. :cool:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
tingj said:
I'll be visiting Agoura Hills, SoCal for a week starting this Friday. The house borders the Santa Monica Mountain park (cheseboro, simi peak, china flats) where I rode the last time I was there. A lot of fireroad climbing and a little boring.

Any recommendations for better rides in the area? Or a website for local group rides?

Any SoCal MTBers interested in riding with me next week? I'll be free every day. I'll supply the mountain cat repellent.

Thanks.

Jess
If you want technical, La Tuna is a good one and not too far to drive. The trail is about 4.5 miles of fireroad up and slow and quite technical single track down (and about 1.5 miles road back to the car).

I typically ride with the the Over The Bars club (http://www.otbmbc.com), they don't have much planned for next week but rides show up on the calendar at the last minute sometimes.

A bit closer is Hummingbird - typical fireroad up and very rocky (not loose) technical single track back down but not a very long ride and a road climb back to the car.

If Friday is good for you, I'm up for either after work - (5:30ish). I ride a hardtail and I'm no super-lung nor daredevil but I like techncal riding.

Maybe some others would like to join up, let's organize here...

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
JPL or Chantry

If you don't mind driving a little, JPL and Chantry have much more technical singletrack rides (I haven't ridden Chantry in a while, so it may still be closed). JPL - our usual ride is 5-6 miles of fireroad climb with a single track either down the back or down El Prieto. Both are technical and fun. You can find details at singletrackmind.com. Look under Brown Mountain or Gabriellino Trail. Have fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. MTBR rocks. I will be checking out many of the rides suggested. Group rides anyone? I am flexible with time and place. Reply here or call my cell 917-297-6665. I'll be there the 20th-28th.

That website NRMBC.org is amazing. Those 3D topo trail maps -- I've never seen anything like them. I wonder how they were created.

Anyone still nite riding in the area? Any worries about mountain lions when riding at night? I'm serious. If so, maybe I'll bring my niterider with me.

Jess

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
tingj said:
Thanks for all the great replies. MTBR rocks. I will be checking out many of the rides suggested. Group rides anyone? I am flexible with time and place. Reply here or call my cell 917-297-6665. I'll be there the 20th-28th.

That website NRMBC.org is amazing. Those 3D topo trail maps -- I've never seen anything like them. I wonder how they were created.

Anyone still nite riding in the area? Any worries about mountain lions when riding at night? I'm serious. If so, maybe I'll bring my niterider with me.

Jess
3D Topo with DeLorme GPS map program.

Bring your lights. We do Tues/Thurs night rides in small groups. There are mountain lions, one afternoon I was at Sulphur Springs and saw a NP ranger with a radio tracker. He said there was a mountain lion on the rocks above - probably napping as it was the afternoon. I photographed this (pic) in Bell Canyon.

Attachments

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Technical?

Try the lower section of Gridley in Ojai. If you can get up or down that without dabbing, you are a stud. It gets a little easier after that, but still challenging in many places.

For a good long ride, climb Gridley to the top of Nordhoff Ridge, hang a right and climb along the backbone until you get to a little known trail they call Whiteledge or something like that (it’s near Sisar). It eventually connects to Sisar near the lower section. Follow Sisar out to the road and ride the six miles or so back along HWY 150 to the Ranger station at the bottom of Gridley. It should be around 30 miles or so. Plenty of technical up and down and some good ol’ fireroad thrown in for good measure. Take LOTS of water. I have consumed well over 200 ounces on a variant of that ride. Good little Mexican joint just back toward Ojai for post ride grindage and rehydration. You can ride that area at night too, but go with someone that knows the area.

Latigo (near Chesebro) has some nasty little sections too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Namlak, I might be up for a ride Friday afternoon/evening. I fly in sometime during the day Fri. I'll need something to help me recover from a 7 hr flight with a 3 yr old and 9 month old child.

I'll charge up my niterider.

Jess

Namlak said:
If you want technical, La Tuna is a good one and not too far to drive. The trail is about 4.5 miles of fireroad up and slow and quite technical single track down (and about 1.5 miles road back to the car).

I typically ride with the the Over The Bars club (http://www.otbmbc.com), they don't have much planned for next week but rides show up on the calendar at the last minute sometimes.

A bit closer is Hummingbird - typical fireroad up and very rocky (not loose) technical single track back down but not a very long ride and a road climb back to the car.

If Friday is good for you, I'm up for either after work - (5:30ish). I ride a hardtail and I'm no super-lung nor daredevil but I like techncal riding.

Maybe some others would like to join up, let's organize here...

·
The Turbo Blaster
70 Posts
Hummingbird off of Rocky Peak could be what you are looking for. It's not epic length, but it's pretty challenging to clean the whole thing. You can do a loop where you ride up Chumash, which also has some technical on it, then ride the ridge back down to Hummingbird. Or, for a real challenge, ride up Hummingbird, then ride down.

As the crow flies, it's pretty close to Agoura. By road it's probably 15 miles away.

I guess you wanted the Santa Monicas, but Hummingbird is in the Santa Susanna Mountains.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm. Mountain lions are where I draw the line. I am a city boy. I'd rather deal with manhattan robbers and rapists than a california mountain lion.

Perhaps I'll pass on the nite rides, unless you can guarantee that there will be someone slower than me in the group. Like they say, you don't have to outrun the lion chasing you, just other person you're running with.

pacman said:
3D Topo with DeLorme GPS map program.

Bring your lights. We do Tues/Thurs night rides in small groups. There are mountain lions, one afternoon I was at Sulphur Springs and saw a NP ranger with a radio tracker. He said there was a mountain lion on the rocks above - probably napping as it was the afternoon. I photographed this (pic) in Bell Canyon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mr_spin said:
Hummingbird off of Rocky Peak could be what you are looking for. It's not epic length, but it's pretty challenging to clean the whole thing. You can do a loop where you ride up Chumash, which also has some technical on it, then ride the ridge back down to Hummingbird. Or, for a real challenge, ride up Hummingbird, then ride down.

As the crow flies, it's pretty close to Agoura. By road it's probably 15 miles away.

I guess you wanted the Santa Monicas, but Hummingbird is in the Santa Susanna Mountains.
So anybody up for Hummingbird Friday evening? Doing the short ride from Rocky Peak should get it done easily by twilight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pt. Mugu!

No one's mentioned Pt. Mugu. Really nice riding there. Start at Big Sycamore Cny from the Thousand Oaks side Right on Overlook trail. Right on Guadalasca for a nice singletrack decent. Left on Wood Canyon and back over to Big Sycamore. Beautiful ocean views on Overlook. About 23 or 24 miles in length. Nothing really extreme about it, but there's a nice bit of climbing and some fun singletrack.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Namlak said:
So anybody up for Hummingbird Friday evening? Doing the short ride from Rocky Peak should get it done easily by twilight.
Namlak, I emailed you. I'd vote for starting a little earlier, say 5:30 pm so that we make it back by dusk. I don't think I will bring the niterider after all. Too much trouble (charger, plus light, plus helmet mount!).

Isn't dusk when the mountain lions and rattlesnacks come out?

Jess

·
Registered
134 Posts
tingj said:
Isn't dusk when the mountain lions and rattlesnacks come out?

Jess
No problems with those critters - you don't have to be faster than the Mountain Lion, just faster than any one of your riding buddies! As far as rattlesnakes, can you bunnyhop? :^)

Seriously, it's not going to be a problem. I've only encountered one rattler this year. Stopped and took a good look at him as he slinked off into the grass, beautiful creatures. The mountain lion thing is overhyped this year just like shark attacks a few years ago when some kid got his arm bitten off - there was a 1000% increase in shark attack stories in the news but actual attacks were lower than normal that year.

Enough about animals, how do you feel about earthquakes, fires, riots, and floods? LOL!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.